ISRO General News and Updates

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
As per the monthly report, ISRO is in discussions to Screwdriver the Russian Engines in India, Russian team visited L&T facility in Aug. I'm guessing that engine might be RD-182

View attachment 177380

@Swesh @Indx TechStyle @omaebakabaka and others
That is a quite good development. Not only India could be a manufacturing hub and launch station of more and more Zenit and Soyuz launchers but working on these engines will impart us immense amount of knowledge.
Chinese has the will to reverse engineer, can we do the same?? We decided to reverse engineer the KVD-1 only after we were sanctioned by Amrimutts
Neither we were competent enough to re-engineer technology at that time properly unlike China nor we are that formidable power economically.

Understanding and reverse engineering a foreign rocket engine is not a upheaval task for ISRO in 2022. Nor India is that weak in 2022.

We won't get sanctioned unless USA makes up its mind that India is a strategic threat like Russia and China & not a long term ally.
Private ones have more chances of making something out of a partnership if there is enough dough in it for them for their investments. L&T is clearly entering defence space in full spectrum, they don't necessarily have experience in lot of things yet, so this is helpful and also ISRO can't just become a trainer or consultant for every private company. It has its own gigs to fig out....L&T is a well run company that executes decently in general.
Indian private sector can't compete with government of India for 2 decades at least. They just don't have capital for risk of R&D.

Whatever they have is still mercy of likes of ISRO and DRDO.

omaebakabaka

Indian private sector can't compete with government of India for 2 decades at least. They just don't have capital for risk of R&D.

I think they can if they have enough at stake, the way I see it..our US based software revenues may take a dip due to political positions and the US itself losing its attractiveness over the next two decades. Defence is one sector where there is enough local and export market to make up for any loss in EU and US service sectors. Companies like L&T just don't enter for screwdrivergiri only...... L&T is one of the better companies in India even when compared to TATA and other big players, they will get upto speed rather quickly in my opinion and streamline the production and may also get export markets elsewhere in world. DRDO is premier as its established and research org but bounded by mountains of bureaucracy. DRDO and ISRO will have to federate the knowledge

Vamsi

Country flag
That is a quite good development. Not only India could be a manufacturing hub and launch station of more and more Zenit and Soyuz launchers but working on these engines will impart us immense amount of knowledge.

Neither we were competent enough to re-engineer technology at that time properly unlike China nor we are that formidable power economically.

Understanding and reverse engineering a foreign rocket engine is not a upheaval task for ISRO in 2022. Nor India is that weak in 2022.

We won't get sanctioned unless USA makes up its mind that India is a strategic threat like Russia and China & not a long term ally.

Whatever it is, I really pray that it is RD-170 engines, then we can have NGLV sooner than later

omaebakabaka

Whatever it is, I really pray that it is RD-170 engines, then we can have NGLV sooner than later
Unlikely, it will be 170 and Russia may not let it happen either as its their crown jewel even now. It may be an overkill too to start out. Hope I am wrong though but I would rather we build our own even if it takes a bit of time.

Vamsi

Country flag
Unlikely, it will be 170 and Russia may not let it happen either as its their crown jewel even now. It may be an overkill too to start out. Hope I am wrong though but I would rather we build our own even if it takes a bit of time.
RD-170 is in the glavcosmos list of export engines....even RD-180 (used in Atlas V) is also ok for me

Swesh

This is old story of 2013 but an interesting read when congess wanted to establish a port near Shriharikot . When isro raised concern they tried to sideline it @Haldilal @Vamsi @Indx TechStyle

. Nellore: The Bharatiya Janata Party has demanded that the Centre disclose the objections raised by Isro engineers and environmentalists against the proposed port at Dugarajapatnam.

Referring to speculations over rethinking on the port proposal, BJP senior leader Karnati Anjaneya Reddy has demanded that the government reveal the reasons without hiding any facts.

He suspected that some Congress leaders have lobbied for port despite objections from various quarters to make huge gains from real-estate ventures in the lands belonging to them in the area.

Speaking to media persons here on Thursday, he stressed the need for a study on the impact of port on Nelapattu birds’ sanctuary and Pulicat Lake while referring to their proximity to Dugarajapatnam.

“Minimum depth should be not less than 16 metres to setup a port as per the norms but the depth is very low in the place selected for port now. The government may have to spend hundreds of crores to achieve the depth.

It is also surprising as to how the port proposal was cleared when environmental restrictions are in force in view of Pulicat Lake and Nelapattu Birds Sanctuary located nearby. Forest department not even allowed bitumen roads in the region identified for Port under the pretext of birds’ sanctuary since decades.

Moreover, the security of Isro’s only rocket launching centre in the country will be at stake if the Port becomes a reality since vessels and people from different countries throng the port on daily basis,” Anjaneya Reddy observed.

He said that he is going to submit a report on the subject to party senior leaders including Arun Jaitely and Sushma Swaraj apart from M. Venkaiah Naidu soon. He stressed that he is not against establishing a port but it should be done after clearing the doubts being expressed about the location.

Swesh

Do you guys know that nabinarayan recommend for 2 nd launchpad in Irukkanthurai some 30 years ago initially villages and fisherman were happy but they suddenly changed their stand after instigated by commies when nabinarayan took Dhawan ji to site they started protesting thus plan was shelved if that have gone through we would have had another fulfleged developed spaceport by now

Maveli

Country flag
Do you guys know that nabinarayan recommend for 2 nd launchpad in Irukkanthurai some 30 years ago initially villages and fisherman were happy but they suddenly changed their stand after instigated by commies when nabinarayan took Dhawan ji to site they started protesting thus plan was shelved if that have gone through we would have had another fulfleged developed spaceport by now
We've averaged 3 launches a year for the last 20 years.

Vamsi

Country flag
Irukkantharai?? where is it ??

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles