ISRO General News and Updates

SavageKing456

Country flag
The confusion is because of the letter by Sivan to the media. In that letter he mentioned CY-3 launch in mid of next year. My guess is that ,the letter was drafted last year and guy who did it might wrote it wrong.
I say let's wait until the annual report is out or atleast for the 1st launch this year.
What if covid rose up again?
Isro will find another excuse

indiatester

Country flag
Yes ,they will certainly do. I hope that the govt will appoint Dr.Somnath as next chairman. It's time ,Dr.Shivan must go
I never understood why he got an extension in the first place after the chandrayaan rover debacle.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Absolute state of ISRO. Downfall of the ISRO is one of the biggest failure of this government, i have zero faith in the timeline of next year.

Only private players are our only hope
No, ISRO's recent slowdown is owed to COVID-19 lockdowns.
And private players at their best would not reach an iota of what ISRO does at worst.
Focus on human spaceflight and moon missions for political aims combined with declined production cap due to corona has stumbled regular ISRO missions though.

FalconZero

Country flag
VSSC is in the process of integrating different parts of a Trisonic Wind Tunnel capable of achieving wind speeds upto Mach 4. The wind tunnel is expected to be operational by February 2022. Image: Trailers carrying giant Settling Chamber sections for the tunnel to VSSC
1641471908583.png

Vamsi

Country flag
VSSC is in the process of integrating different parts of a Trisonic Wind Tunnel capable of achieving wind speeds upto Mach 4. The wind tunnel is expected to be operational by February 2022. Image: Trailers carrying giant Settling Chamber sections for the tunnel to VSSC
View attachment 130038
Hmm, ISRO Scramjet & RLV projects will attain good speed now

FalconZero

Country flag
(crossposting from r/isro by u/Ohsin)

We got another still of RLV-TD from VSSC merit award 2021 event.

qr7q7e9tk4a81.png

Video :
There was one more image last year which i think was posted here too but still posting again,
Its Landing Experiment involving dropping it from an altitude of 3km or so was supposed to happen previous year but here we are. ISRO needs a budget bump to sustain multiple objectives at better pacing.

not so dravidian

Country flag

Also there's some confusion in regards to CY-3 schedule. It's hilarious and astonishing that DRDO the agency responsible for way more strategic projects is so open than a civilian body like ISRO.

Here's another source, can't hear what he is saying but tweet says this,
View attachment 129640
Lolz! Only unmanned spacecraft by 2023 😑

FalconZero

Country flag
Lolz! Only unmanned spacecraft by 2023 😑
It's just a TD for now, maybe some derivative of it can be used like boeing's x37, or something like Dreamchaser. ISRO is working on a VTVL rocket too (booster recovery also) if that can be combined with rlv then we can have a fully reusable rocket.

This of course is limited for LEO (RLV-TD variants) for the rest you will need bigger vehicles like Starship. All in all it is not going to go waste since atleast ISRO has some work going on for reusability, my only issue is that we carried out HEX in 2016 and it's been almost 6 years without LEX.

It can be pretty useful for military applications though, in LEO also with fully reusable rockets it may be cheaper than most competitions.

not so dravidian

Country flag
It's just a TD for now, maybe some derivative of it can be used like boeing's x37, or something like Dreamchaser. ISRO is working on a VTVL rocket too (booster recovery also) if that can be combined with rlv then we can have a fully reusable rocket.

This of course is limited for LEO (RLV-TD variants) for the rest you will need bigger vehicles like Starship. All in all it is not going to go waste since atleast ISRO has some work going on for reusability, my only issue is that we carried out HEX in 2016 and it's been almost 6 years without LEX.

It can be pretty useful for military applications though, in LEO also with fully reusable rockets it may be cheaper than most competitions.
I meant about gangayan not about RLV TD

FalconZero

Country flag
I meant about gangayan not about RLV TD
Gaganyaan we will see, if things go well™, unmanned mission this year and manned mission next year.

It's clear that BJP wants Gaganyaan mission pretty eagerly, they are pushing for it at the cost of other projects. Even during peak of 2nd wave work on gaganyaan was being carried on at half the workforce. It's more of a political mission than anything but if it helps ISRO get more funding then so be it.

I am more excited more about sce200 and subsequently about HLV. God that would be a delight to see that rocket liftoff.

indiatester

Country flag
Something serious shit is happening within ISRO
I wouldn't consider it as a scandal.
More often than not, people have enough cycles to work on multiple things either because the work itself is not too consuming or because there are enough resources handling it.
Its actually a good thing that he finds enough commercial interest in starting something external.
Its only means that the ecosystem is growing.
As long as he is not using his position to do undue favours ofcourse.

There is a matter of ethics here where he does seem to fail. But, our industry would do well to recognize such need and provide a small leeway for people to work in non competing areas while not impacting deliverables to the job that they are doing.
In some MNC's, we have that flexibility as long as our director agrees for that.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles