Israel planned to strike Pak nukes

Country flag
Israel planned to strike Pak nukes - Pakistan - World - The Times of India

Israel planned to strike Pak nukes

WASHINGTON: Israel, which successfully destroyed an Iraqi nuclear reactor, also considered a pre-emptive strike to destroy Pakistan's nuclear facilities, according to State Department papers released by the National Security Archive, a private research agency.

Newly declassified papers obtained by the Archive shows that at a Friday morning session on September 14, 1979 of the US General Advisory Committee on Arms Control and Disarmament, Assistant Director of the Arms Control and Disarmament Agency Charles Van Doren discussed "apparent Israeli consideration of military action against Pakistan."

The United States itself, he said, had not discussed (with Israel) "pre-emption plans."

The declassified paper provides no further details but it is known that AQ Khan, Father of the Pakistani nuclear bomb , and others had described Pakistan's nuclear bomb as an "Islamic bomb" and rich Islamic countries like Saudi Arabia and Libya reportedly provided financing while China provided technical aid , nuclear materials and a design for the bomb.

Blueprints stolen by Khan from the Netherlands enabled Pakistan to build centrifuges to refine uranium to bomb-grade.

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
IIRC this is a old news , Israel asked logistics from us , but we denied them.

ganesh177

Country flag
8 Mar 2004, 2228 hrs IST, PTI

yupp 5 years old article.
And when did israel attacked iraqi nuclear reactor ?

Country flag
i posted this article because in an archive thread few questioned that this had ever been planned and wanted a link(thread was closed).

p2prada

IIRC this is a old news , Israel asked logistics from us , but we denied them.
True. A country strikes another countries nuclear facilities only if they do not have nukes in the first place. You can't attack a nuclear armed country that way. The fallout would have been disastrous.

They should have thought about it 30 years ago.

Country flag
the plan was in 1979 so it was 30 years ago in the initial stages,USA was also involved but our leaders in their great wisdom decided it is better not to do it.

p2prada

the plan was in 1979 so it was 30 years ago in the initial stages,USA was also involved but our leaders in their great wisdom decided it is better not to do it.
Ok. Now that's just hopeless.

p2prada

Give world peace a chance mate :p :blum3:
We could have attacked in 1979 and then given a chance for peace.:blum3:

Probably signed a peace treaty with Pak immediately after the attack.:D

Kabuli

Does Israel have aircraft to reach Pakistan? Or this would have been launched from elsewhere? Really, I can say for the first time I would have supported Israel.

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
they are a very resorurcefull lot the could have pulled it it of with the F-15E's that they have recived by then

johnee

Maybe the reason for such a 'wise' decision by our 'leaders' at that time was that 1979 had a lot of political turbulence. Infact, correct me if I am wrong, it was the period immediately after emergency. Morarji Desai and Charan Singh were PrimeMinisters at that time.

Morarji Desai 1977-1979
Charan Singh 1979-1980

Perhaps, the 'leaders' were too busy in protecting their 'throne' to worry about anything else.:wink:

p2prada

Does Israel have aircraft to reach Pakistan? Or this would have been launched from elsewhere? Really, I can say for the first time I would have supported Israel.
The Israelis wanted to use Indian bases for the strike.

Country flag
Maybe the reason for such a 'wise' decision by our 'leaders' at that time was that 1979 had a lot of political turbulence. Infact, correct me if I am wrong, it was the period immediately after emergency. Morarji Desai and Charan Singh were PrimeMinisters at that time.

Morarji Desai 1977-1979
Charan Singh 1979-1980

Perhaps, the 'leaders' were too busy in protecting their 'throne' to worry about anything else.:wink:
Johnee it seems like the whole regions leaders are always going thru some kind of political turbulence.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles