Israel hopes U.S. Congress to lift F-22 export ban

youngindian

Country flag
12 Tamuz 5769, Saturday, July 4, 2009

The Israel Air Force will review the possibility of purchasing the advanced American F-22 fifth-generation stealth fighter jet if a congressional ban is lifted, enabling it to be sold abroad, defense officials told The Jerusalem Post on Thursday.Referring to recent reports in the US that Congress had asked the Air Force to submit a report on the possibility of exporting the jet to Japan, Israel and other allies, a senior defense official said if this happened, "we will have to consider the option."

"This is an advanced fighter jet of superior capabilities," the Defense Ministry official said. "It will depend, though, on the price, availability and time frame."

Congress's interest in continuing funding for the F-22 runs counter to US Defense Secretary Robert Gates' decision to stop production of the aircrafts.

Israel is already in advanced talks with the Pentagon regarding the possible sale of the Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) - also known as the F-35 - to Israel. Both planes are manufactured by Lockheed Martin, but Israeli defense officials said the F-22 was capable of flying at higher altitudes and could carry more weapons internally.

"A lot will depend on the outcome of the ongoing talks regarding the JSF," the defense official said. "If the export ban on the F-22 is lifted, things may change."The IAF is also in negotiations with Boeing to purchase at least six additional Apache Longbow attack helicopters in an effort to bolster the air support the IAF is able to provide ground forces.

The negotiations are ongoing and sources close to the talks said they would likely be completed by the end of the year. The IAF has yet to decide exactly how many aircraft it would purchase and was waiting to receive a final price offer from Boeing.

The IAF is also considering upgrading several of its old "A" model Apache helicopters to the "D" model Longbow version with the above-rotor advanced radar system, which enables the helicopter to share targeting data with other Longbows. According to foreign reports, Israel has 37 "A" model Apaches and 11 Longbows.

Three Apache helicopters - including one Longbow version - were lost during the Second Lebanon War. In one case, two Apaches collided in midair. In the other, the Longbow crashed due to a malfunction in the rotor.

During Operation Cast Lead, due to the limited scope of the operation, the IAF was able to allocate a squadron of attack helicopters that worked in conjunction with infantry brigades operating on the ground. This organic system, a senior IAF officer said, would not be workable in a larger conflict due to the IAF's limited number of aircraft.

"We do not have enough [aircraft] and need more," the officer said. "We operate with what we have and there are gaps; there is always room to improve."

Defense Ministry hopes US will lift ban on F-22 jets export | Israel | Jerusalem Post

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
I'm sure that everybody in the world wants that ban lifted. But with the Democrats under Obama in control I don't see that happening. If they do I'd also personally like to see us get a couple of squadrons operating in the North East to keep you-know-who in check and preventing any misadventures.

Vladimir79

Professional
The Israeli lobby in Amerika is a powerful one but they are not under the best of terms right now. Obama seeks an end to colonisation of the West Bank and he will not likely budge unless BB does so first.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Why are they even thinking about it? It's just too expensive for them. There is a debate there on the cost of the F-35s itself. This is just too expensive.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
No the US will not give the the F-22 to anyone if it does that is
, for less than $250 billion. The F-35s will nit cost that much. Max half of it.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
I'm sure that everybody in the world wants that ban lifted. But with the Democrats under Obama in control I don't see that happening. If they do I'd also personally like to see us get a couple of squadrons operating in the North East to keep you-know-who in check and preventing any misadventures.
Couple of squadron ? Why ?
We can buy three times the number of fighters for that amount.

Ratus Ratus

Professional
Israel will have problem getting the F22 what ever happens. Too much technology at stake.
They have jumped in on the F35 but have not provided 'funding' for development vs other nations also looking at the F35.

I was also under the impression the F35 carries more load than the F22. The F22 has no outboard loading points vs F35.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
There are provisions on the F22s for external pylons if so desired, but at the cost of stealth.

Ratus Ratus

Professional
That would defeat the purpose of the stealth tech.
Besides Israel wants the plane to reverse engineer it. I wonder why?
This is one of the reasons the US would not be selling the F22 there. They may sell a cut down version sort of half F22/half F35.

I am no holding my breath on a sale of the F22 to Israel.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
That's the first that I have heard Sir, reverse engineer the F22.
But then some of the technology might be hard for Israel to understand maybe.
Israel doesn't have the kind of military complex as the US to produce an F22.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
I believe US goverment won't lift ban on sale of F-22 because if they did it would directly affect the sale F-35. LM lobby which would be more powerful than the Israeli also would introduce hurdles in the process.

Ratus Ratus

Professional
That's the first that I have heard Sir, reverse engineer the F22.
But then some of the technology might be hard for Israel to understand maybe.
Israel doesn't have the kind of military complex as the US to produce an F22.
It was something I came across sometime ago re the Israeli purchase. It was one issue.
The other main point that Dark Sorrow mentioned is the F-35 development and sales.
If the US started selling the F-22 there would be questions re funding of the F-35 development and intended sales. The F-35 could be considered as the export F-22.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles