Is this the end of Shah Rukh ; And how long will the Salman era last ?

ashdoc

Country flag
Lets face it guys..... This I am talking to all fans of SRK , like me....I may have liked Don 2 , but nobody else has . Everybody I know is saying that the movie sucks big time , and it is likely to bite the dust .

Anyway , its sad to see an actor of the caliber of Shah Rukh being panned by everyone , but facts are facts !!

After the megafailure of RA one , this is another failure of Shah Rukh , and with two megafailures of this kind , the question naturally arises---what next ??

By what next , I dont mean his position of Badshah of Bollywood , a position which he has already lost a couple of years back. Now its a question of sheer survival.....

Will he at all survive even as a second rate star , or is he finished completely ??

Of course , Shah Rukh will remain as one of the most memorable actors hindi cinema has ever seen , and nobody can take away the fact that he was number one for 12 years from 1996 to 2008 . He has been included in the list of the ten greatest male stars that hindi movies have seen ( the others being Dilip Kumar , Raj Kapoor , Dev Anand , Shammi Kapoor , Dharmendra , Rajesh Khanna , Amitabh Bachhan , Amir Khan and Salman Khan ) , and even his worst detractors will not be able to take his name out of the list .

His success started with Baazigar and Darr , and he had some creditable performances in that era like Baazigar , where he got the audience's sympathy inspite of the fact that he kills innocent people ( like actress Resham Tipnis and others )in his path of revenge---such a performance has never been enacted by anyone else , even by stalwarts like Amitabh and Dilip Kumar .

His next hit Darr again showed him as a crazed psycho---but he was able to pull off a great performance again !! People were cheering him instead of Sunny Deol , who was the film's hero !!

Other performances like Raju ban gaya gentleman , Kabhie haan kabie naa also showed his spontaneity in acting .

And then came the path breaking DDLJ . It converted him into a heartthrob overnight , and laid the foundation of his future career , besides making him number one star .

However , after DDLJ , many of his male fans deserted him---for he got into the rut of making the same kind of films with the Aditya Chopras and Karan Johars . Only some of them , like DDLJ itself , Kal ho na ho , Kabhie alvida naa kehanaa or a different film like Chak de India were good . Others like Mohobattein and Kabhi Khushi Kabhie gam were just about okay , while films like Dil to pagal hai and Kuch kuch hota hai were outright bad .

Due to repetitive same kind of films , the male audiences living in India began to hate him but never mind !!!---He was the darling of women , who regularly lined up the theaters , handkerchief for wiping the tears in hand , for he was the matinee idol of mushy tearjerking romance.....
And the NRIs loved him too , from the sands of the middle east to the icy snows of Canada---fuelling a Badshahdom lasting from 1996 ( DDLJ ) to 2008 .

However , whats over is over.....
His last hit was Rab ne bana dee jodi , which was released in december 2008 . ' My name is Khan ' was loved by the international muslim audiences in 2009 , but the Indian audiences hated it . So for the past 2 years he has not had a single real hit .

So is it time for Shah Rukh to fade quietly into the sunset ??

And as the sun sets for one star , it arises for another---such is the natural progression of things.....

And the one who is rising is none other than Salman Khan , the proverbial bad boy of Bollywood . Dabbang tilted him to superpopularity , and his success in turning even a bad film like Bodyguard into a realtime moneyspinner shows his awesome hold over the box office .

In truth , I have never liked Salman Khan---neither as a person , nor as an actor .Remember he is a drunkard , has killed a man by driving in a drunken state on him in Bandra , beats his girlfriends regularly and has killed a black buck , besides many many other controversies. The only thing that I respect him for is that he is a patriotic Indian who respects the hindu religion and does not mind dancing at his father's ganpati . This is unlike Shah Rukh who has turned more and more islamic over the years , to the point of welcoming everyone with an adaab nowadays . Otherwise Salman has no acting skills whatsoever , and is liked more by the poor lower masses than the classes . Of course , it is the lower masses who form the majority of the population in this poor country , so its their hero who wins !!

But has supersuccess come too late for the pint sized ( his height is only 5 feet 6 inches ) Khan ?? Today is his 45th birthday , and generally stars start fading in their fifties .Other than the great Dharmendra , no one managed to maintain his standard in his fifties and sixties . So judging by that scale , Salman's reign at the top will last only 6 to 7 years . Thats only half of Shah Rukh's reign , which lasted more than 12 years . The fact is that Shah Rukh had the advantage of being at number one in his younger years , so he could last longer . Salman has become number one in his midforties !!

On the other hand Dharmendra himself has said that he sees shades of himself in Salman's stardom and personality---so who knows ?? Maybe like garam Dharam himself did , Sallu may remain at the top even in his fifties ....

So it might be interesting to see how long Salman number one position lasts .My guess is 6 years , but I dont mind being proved wrong.....:thumb:

PS---however , neither was Shah Rukh ever a superstar , nor will Salman ever be one . Only Rajesh Khanna and Amitabh managed to reach that level .

---Written by myself ( Ashdoc )

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Due to repetitive same kind of films , the male audiences living in India began to hate him...
LOL, so right. :pound:

And I don't like Shah Rukh's constant self-praise. He has an inflated ego and a swelled head. High even by Bollywood standards.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Shahrukh was never an actor. An overacting showman who thought no end of himself. I quite like his films flopping at the box office.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
One thing I want to pick from the OP, Shahrukh sells himself as a commodity. He is no staunch Muslim. Let him give up his drinkin first before making any such claims.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
well written and so much in sync on how shahrukh erupted into the scene, how repetitive work lost him the charm.

it has been very well pointed that what he did with his roles in bazigar and darr anyone else in the industry in the past or present hasn't come any closer to him on such roles. wonder why he doesnt attempt something on similar lines again. what he did then was awesome.

is it the end of road for him? or is it the start of the end?

no, certainly not. he is still a very well marketed, packaged product, and most important he sells well, heck even flops earn the producers at least 10m usd and all he needs is one hit to strike it back.

Reactions: nrj

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Well anyways he is still important enough to have a separate thread :troll:

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
There's no difference between them, Salman copies from Tollywood and Shahrukh from Hollywood ..Don 2 = Fast Five (- Vin Diesel, Gal Gadot) + some other hollywood action movies.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Today, I passed both these chaps' houses.

There was a big crowd outside Salman Khan's.

One wonders why?

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag

One wonders why?
Probably he was giving them a flying kiss.

Iamanidiot

AmirKhans movies are evergreen.Sharukh is plain bad for my taste

Iamanidiot

Gods in Indian cinema MGR,NTR and Rajkumar.Demi-god Rajnikanth rest all actors

Nagraj

Ahh , on he is a simple guy who is trying to earn cars and bunglow's (earning bread would have been understatement) . do't judge him on that parameter.

On Topic i actually hate bollywood. rarely watch a bollywood movie. However shahrukh's growth has been tremendous. from an actor he has florished as a good business man. and yeah he is a showman what's wrong with that???
One thing I want to pick from the OP, Shahrukh sells himself as a commodity. He is no staunch Muslim. Let him give up his drinkin first before making any such claims.

ashdoc

Country flag

One wonders why?
you haven't read my piece properly . gave it just a cursory glance did you ?? he is having his birthday today .

Agnostic_Indian

Country flag
srk proved himself time and again as an actor and as a superstar.

yes there are better actors around but he still is the greatest show man or super star.

today i watched don 2..nothing great but not a bad one like ra1.

JAISWAL

i really hate SRK films.
Last film of his which i liked to watch was DDLJ.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
all of them are nothing infront of mighty raaj kumar

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles