Is the Mosquito the greatest warplane of all?

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Good video embedded at link:

Video: Is the Mosquito the greatest warplane of all? - Telegraph

This versatile, two-man machine, designed by the British aviator pioneer Geoffrey de Havilland, served with distinction as a fighter, bomber, U-boat hunter and night fighter, as well as in reconnaissance roles and as a pathfinder on large-scale bombing attacks.

It was behind some of the most stunning raids of the war – among them the precision operation to attack the Gestapo headquarters in Oslo, Norway; and another to breach the walls of a prison in Amiens to allow the escape of condemned resistance fighters.

Its greatest attribute, its speed, came from its unusual construction. To preserve metal reserves, it was made of wood, its parts crafted by carpenters and joiners in workshops turned over from furniture and cabinet-making. The components, from spruce, birch, balsa and plywood, were then put together with glue.

Last edited:

nirranj

Country flag
Good video embedded at link:

Its greatest attribute, its speed, came from its unusual construction. To preserve metal reserves, it was made of wood, its parts crafted by carpenters and joiners in workshops turned over from furniture and cabinet-making. The components, from spruce, birch, balsa and plywood, were then put together with glue.
This ingenuity to make a aircraft with wood is what makes it a astonishing war plane, it demonstrates engineering might and a nations will to survive and overcome a mighty opponent.

From Hermann Goring's words,

"In 1940 I could at least fly as far as Glasgow in most of my aircraft, but not now! It makes me furious when I see the Mosquito. I turn green and yellow with envy. The British, who can afford aluminium better than we can, knock together a beautiful wooden aircraft that every piano factory over there is building, and they give it a speed which they have now increased yet again. What do you make of that? There is nothing the British do not have. They have the geniuses and we have the nincompoops. After the war is over I'm going to buy a British radio set - then at least I'll own something that has always worked"

But the same Telegraph article points out the design weakness the Musquito had, the woods susceptibility to Rain and moist. This made many musquitos to crash in India.

Is this the pioneer of multirole combat aircraft??

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles