Is Air force capable of Two Front War?

nandu

Is Air force capable of "Two Front War "

Indian army is already revising its doctrine to fight War in two fronts with China and Pakistan, Army with its 1.13-million strong personnel and recently held war games might have even cemented Army's doctrine on possible "Two Front War " .

But the Question remains will Indian Air force will be able to fight a "Two Front War ", Air force which already has lowest Squadron strength in decades is fighting hard to induct new jets in its arsenal, delays in MMRCA, Tejas has already hit Air force hard, and blunders made in purchase of Hawk AJT's from Uk has already hit production and pilot training, Grounding whole fleet of HTT-32 basic Trainer by air force has only worsen the situation.

PLAAF already possess more than 500 Long range 4th generation fighter aircraft like Sukhoi-27k and Sukhoi-30MKK and their Chinese copy of J-11 ,not to forget 150 plus home grown J-10 fighter aircraft ,this itself total ups what IAF has in its current inventory not to forget order generation J-7 (Mig-21 copy) and J-8 variants which PLAAF in large numbers . PAF on other hand with around 400 combat aircraft is still a formidable air force in the region.

Poor radar coverage and fewer fighter aircraft deployment in North Eastern sector will also hamper Air forces role in support of ground troops, while IAF is actually deploying small number of Surface to air missile in the region is consider as baby steps by many experts which Chinese forces have fortified their side of border with heavy SAM batteries . While border line areas near Pakistan have good radar coverage but due to lack of radars and failure to modernize older ones have left blank spot in the region.

According to Defence Expert Rajesh Sharma IAF might lose 40 % of its fleet in less than a week if both china and Pakistan use their air forces aggressively towards India, According to Mr. Sharma first three days of war will see heavy IAF aircraft lose, If PLAAF is able to destroy major airbase in northern sector Long Range Bombers and Fighter aircraft will be able to bomb many major northern eastern cites even Kolkata will be not be spared.

IAF needs to be Defensive in northern-eastern sector and offensive in western sector ,to achieve that northern-eastern sector needs to be heavy fortified with SAM batteries and better radar coverage and better Aircrafts like Sukhoi-30MKI deployed in large numbers to intercept and PLAAF aircrafts and Drones .

http://idrw.org/?p=1650#more-1650

neo29

Currently there is no chance IAF can face PLAAF one or one, let alone a 2 front war. IAF can overcome PAF easily, but PLAAF is out of question.

We need a atleast 60 squadrons to face a 2 front war. with LCA project and MMRCA delaying it is a matter of concern that this scenario if comes soon, then we had it .

bhramos

Country flag
defending from our country could not be a problem, but we cannot move out of border. means wait till enemy attacks to repel them, no long range strike missions..........
but two front war is imposible to wthstand.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
If there is 2 front war we seriously need someone to bail us out.

NiketRC

Right now we are not capable to fight on both fronts , only we can defeat Pakistan & hold china for at the most 1 month.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
No, IAF could not hold off both PLAAF and PAF. The real question is could it hold its own against PLAAF. 100 MKIs vs 100 MKK/MK2... IAF wins that match-up. 120 MiG-21 bis vs 120 J-10... don't know about that but I imagine MiG-21 can hold its own. Then you add all the lower tier fighters with outdated radars and BVRAAM and it becomes a toss up. PLAAF would eventually win due to attritiion but I doubt they want to sacrifice 80% of their air force to take a few miles of rocky mountains.

Country flag
Until we get the planes we have been waiting a decade(s) for, we should produce more Akash and possibly acquire other SAMS, we also need to speed up our indigenous AWACS program. Chinese have big numbers but their numbers are deceiving when it comes to quality. Hopefully the second Sukhoi production facility offer by the Russians will be accepted and production can start.

EagleOne

according to me defending from both fronts may be possible
can attack if any one helps

it will be the best time for Taiwan & Tibet to fight for freedom

Last edited:

neo29

Just like the indian navy is neutralizing the delay in new subs and depleting fleet by inducting anti submarine warfare coverttes and P-8's, the indian airforce must deploy akash batteries on the chinese border. this should greatly help IAF.

with the money we have why cant we make some emergency purchase of new fighters. i think germany has 35-40 EF which it plans to export since it is happy with current number of squadrons.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
as everybody is saying here IAF wont be able to stand 2 war front at same time i to say but i think china won`t get directly involve in indo-pak war.it would help pak indirectly.or even if it gets involve then i think russia/usa (of course usa having its interest to be fulfilled ) would help us

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
as everybody is saying here IAF wont be able to stand 2 war front at same time i to say but i think china won`t get directly involve in indo-pak war.it would help pak indirectly.or even if it gets involve then i think russia/usa (of course usa having its interest to be fulfilled ) would help us
Why do people really think US would help India? Its interests are to keep Pakistan in the fight against the Taliban. They won't let an Indo-Pak war get in their way. They would simply end it by threatening India.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
Why do people really think US would help India? Its interests are to keep Pakistan in the fight against the Taliban. They won't let an Indo-Pak war get in their way. They would simply end it by threatening India.
i was talking about in future when america would be out of Afghanistan. and what do u think then if such a scenario would occurs.wait and how are they going to threat us by positing sanctions nnaaaaaaaaah it wont work

Country flag
This is exactly the reason why no American plane will win the MRCA and why 50-75% of Russian weapon exports go to India.

NiketRC

To fight on both front we should concentrate on developing military equipment manufacturing , size of navy should be increased to block sea route to china .

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
To fight on both front we should concentrate on developing military equipment manufacturing , size of navy should be increased to block sea route to china .
That is an empty statement. What are you going to manufacture? Nobody wants to build what DRDO develops

vikramrana_1812

Country flag
Currently India cannot withstand war with Pak-China at the same time....but once MMRCA is done and Pak dont get more jets from USA then may be India can hold off the threat. China will have an upper hand from East but India can contain them from few days and can destroy Pak in the mean time.

Agantrope

Indian Army is living proof.
But is the Indian amry is the only customer for the DRDO. Recent acquisition if Aakash SAM for a Billion dollar and Tejas AC for than 100+ numbers. You need to get more on the Indian Defence

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles