Irreversible collapse of Antarctic glaciers has begun

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
A slow-motion and irreversible collapse of a massive cluster of glaciers in Antarctica has begun, and could cause sea levels to rise across the planet by another 4 feet within 200 years, scientists concluded in two studies released Monday.

Researchers had previously estimated that the cluster in the Amundsen Sea region of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet would last for thousands of years despite global climate change. But the new studies found that the loss is underway now as warming ocean water melts away the base of the ice shelf, and is occurring far more rapidly than scientists expected.

The warming water is tied to several environmental phenomena, including a warming of the planet driven by emissions from human activity and depleted ozone that has changed wind patterns in the area, the studies found.
Irreversible collapse of Antarctic glaciers has begun, studies say---Los Angeles Times

First time I have seen AGW linked to ozone depletion. I thought the latter problem had been solved by regulation of refrigerants.

jmj_overlord

effects of global warming i presume.......all countries not only developing but also the developed nations should share the blame equally. Annual summits won't solve these anymore. After all action speaks louder than words....

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Global warming is an exaggerated threat, just like the report western agencies gave that Himalayas are melting fast and disappear soon.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles