Introduce Gita, Mahabharata in class 1: SC judge

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Introduce Gita, Mahabharata in class 1: SC judge

AHMEDABAD: Lauding the ancient system of imparting education, Supreme Court justice A R Dave said on Saturday that given a choice, he would like to introduce the Gita and the Mahabharata for study from class 1 in schools.

Talking on 'Contemporary Issues and Challenges of Human Rights in the Era of Globalization' during the inaugural ceremony of a workshop, Justice Dave said, "Somebody who is very secular... so-called secular will not agree... Had I been the dictator of India, I would have introduced the Gita and the Mahabharata in class 1. That is the way you learn how to live life."

The SC judge stressed going back to traditions to solve modern problems. "Our old tradition such as 'Guru-Shishya parampara' is lost. If it had been there, we would not have all these problems (violence, conflicts and terrorism) in our country. Now we see terrorism in other countries." On the requirement of being good to form a just society, he said, "If I am good, if every person of my country is good, my administrator is bound to be good. If everybody in a democratic country is good, then they would naturally elect somebody who is very good. And that person will never think of damaging anybody else."

READ ALSO: Now, Gita gyaan with management mantra at IIM-Indore

Justice Dave said the Gandhian values of non-violence and peace have to play a big role, adding, "So by bringing all good things in each and every human being, we can stop violence everywhere. And for that purpose we have to go back to our own things again."

After Justice Dave, the Chief Justice of Bombay High Court, M S Shah, said the benefits of globalization should reach to all to solve the present crisis. "If we do not share the profits of globalization, the benefits of globalization, it would be like raising serious challenges. Human being is at the centre of development and all are entitled to live a healthy and protected life," he said.

Introduce Gita, Mahabharata in class 1: SC judge - The Times of India

josan420

Country flag
Better if it is optional... Students or their families must hve an option to choose it. As in italy Students can choose if they want to study religion or no

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Class 1 would be too early for Mahabharat and Ramayan.

5 year old Kids would hardly understand it so rather keep it at class 6 onwards.

JBH22

Le Momin: Art, architecture in India, everything is by Muslims. You cannot find Hindu architecture anywhere in North India. You did not know anything about this part of civilisation.

Le Kaafir: Could you please draw a flower on this blackboard?

Le Momin: Easy peasy.

Le Momin draws a rose on the blackboard. Le Kaafir comes and rubs it off with a duster and draws a lotus. And throws off the chalk.

Le Kaafir: I don't see your drawing on the blackboard. You just don't know how to draw.

Le Momin: but you erased my drawing, made your own on top of that and did not let me draw another one.

Le Kaafir: Exactly!
Saw this on facebook and wanted to share it with you guys :)

Shadow

Country flag
In that case I have been from convent school and we were made to study bible in the name of Moral science

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
The Ramayana is definitely a good choice for imparting moral education to children. However the Mahabharata would cause problems. How would they skip the so called "improper" parts of the book? After all the Mahabharata is filled with scandals which are not meant for children.

sydsnyper

Country flag
yeah, right. In the name of moral science we were taught about adam and eve (which I probably remember because of the nakedness and the jokes around it) and the one god. There was also chapters on how people earlier worshipped the elements and trees, the sun and moon and we were like, yeah it was so lame. Wish those people of old had books like the one we have now....

It is only when I grew up I see the facade behind all of that.

But dont get me wrong, my school was secular otherwise. They would never place conditions on students based on their religious background. It was pretty awesome otherwise.

In that case I have been from convent school and we were made to study bible in the name of Moral science

Ajesh

Mahabharata is Ideal for this Age. Ramayana, although good is too much idealistic in todays Age. Mahabharata has everything, Bravery, Morals, treachery, everything.

The Ramayana is definitely a good choice for imparting moral education to children. However the Mahabharata would cause problems. How would they skip the so called "improper" parts of the book? After all the Mahabharata is filled with scandals which are not meant for children.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Neither Ramayana nor Mahabharata is good or fit for this age. Too many values imparted in those books were archaic and unacceptable in a modern society.

But Gita is and always will be a book or rather a collection of value and ideas that can instil good moral and social value in a society. So. Gita it must be, Ramayana and Mahabharata, lets not.

Shadow

Country flag
yeah, right. In the name of moral science we were taught about adam and eve (which I probably remember because of the nakedness and the jokes around it) and the one god. There was also chapters on how people earlier worshipped the elements and trees, the sun and moon and we were like, yeah it was so lame. Wish those people of old had books like the one we have now....

It is only when I grew up I see the facade behind all of that.

But dont get me wrong, my school was secular otherwise. They would never place conditions on students based on their religious background. It was pretty awesome otherwise.
We also had to recite christian prayers like the one ""our father in heaven,holy be your name bla,bla,bla and finally amen" and after that christian hyms.Well I think i know christian prayers better than any Hindu verses

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Mahabharata is Ideal for this Age. Ramayana, although good is too much idealistic in todays Age. Mahabharata has everything, Bravery, Morals, treachery, everything.
The judge was talking of introducing the text to class 1 students. Ramayana is a good book for children of this age. It is IMHO the greatest story ever told as it highlights the great virtues. Also the greatest moral from Ramayana is to love your parents more than yourself(contrary to Jesus Christ saying that love God more than your parents). This idea needs to be embedded in the minds of the children. Of course it is a bit too idealistic.

Now on the topic of Mahabharata. Frankly speaking except for the Gita part of Mahabharata, I find the epic to be of bad taste. I mean it is filled with immoral stories and all sorts of nonsense. Sometimes I think it is not even fit to be called an Indian epic as the lecherous stories told there are only heard in foreign countries. Now one solution is to edit the undesirable parts and present it to children. However the morals that would be inculcated in the children from the tale would be lost when these children would grow up and learn the real deal. After all any Indian adult reading the Mahabharata would hang his head in shame when one looks into the indecency there.

(P.S. Have you read the Mahabharata completely. If you had you will realize why it is not ideal.)

Last edited:

Eesh

Quiz:

Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

Discuss the morality taught in this passage. Choices:

1. Dashing babies on rocks is natural activity.

2. It pleases God in heaven

brational

Country flag
IMO Ramayana is ideal for the 5-10 age group and Mahabharat is for 10 onwards. Mahabharat is the greatest epic of all and everyone must read it at least once. One need to understand what is good and what is bad, the true meaning of Dharma. It is a complete reference to human behavior and you can co-relate everything with your own life. There is nothing wrong to learn even the negative aspects of Mahabharat till the time you start practicing them. It purely depends on how you teach the kids.

Gita is Simply the way of life, those who read it admire it to the core. Nothing provocative, no wrong teachings.

mayankkrishna

Country flag
Our ancient educational system was not an imposition of a canonical legacy, BTW What does this system has to say for our age old practice of 'selling womanhood in market' ! Mr Judge need not be any dictator, the system is by far itself a puppet dictator under 'sickular' politics, standing blind upon us since some 250 years.

Had it not been the tolerance imparted by our educational system in our DNA, things would have been very different .. !

Free Karma

I think recommendation by the ncert is Ramayanam in the 7th and Mahabharatham in 8/9th, atleast thats how we had it in our school.

I could never really identify with Ramayanam for some reason...felt too goody goody. Mahabharatam though was awesome, it really shows you that nothing in life is black or white, but shades of grey.

Last edited:

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
@Free Karma @brational. I do not know how one can rate the Mahabharata over Ramayana. Ramayana is one of the greatest stories ever told. The concept of devotion to parents being greater than one`s own life and happiness is something that is unique in this epic. On the contrary Mahabharata is filled with immoral and useless stories. How can one learn "morals" from an "immoral" epic???????

Last edited by a moderator:

brational

Country flag
@Peter. I can not rate these epics. They both are timeless and priceless. Ramayana definitely teaches moral values but one has to understand the real world too. Here comes Mahabharat. One need to understand what is moral and immoral. You can not term Mahabharat as "Immoral." Please read it once.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
@Free Karma @brational. I do not know how one can rate the Mahabharata over Ramayana. Ramayana is one of the greatest stories ever told. The concept of devotion to parents being greater than one`s own life and happiness is something that is unique in this epic. On the contrary Mahabharata is filled with immoral and useless stories. How can one learn "morals" from an "immoral" epic???????
Ram killed Bali by cheating. Does that sound "moral"?

If Bali was not killed Ram could have never got the backing of Vanar Sena led by Sugreev and Hanuman.

Also when Ram reached at sea shore and requested Mr Sea to give way he didn't but then after threatening by a potent Astra he agreed and then Nal and Neel made the Ram Setu.

I would not like to compare both but both has lessons to learn.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Ram killed Bali by cheating. Does that sound "moral"?

If Bali was not killed Ram could have never got the backing of Vanar Sena led by Sugreev and Hanuman.

Also when Ram reached at sea shore and requested Mr Sea to give way he didn't but then after threatening by a potent Astra he agreed and then Nal and Neel made the Ram Setu.

I would not like to compare both but both has lessons to learn.
Yes there are immoralities in both epics. However if I list those of Mahabharata then the post will run through pages.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles