International Islamic body(OIC) appoints Kashmir envoy

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
International Islamic body(OIC) appoints Kashmir envoy

Pakistan has been able to get the Organisation of Islamic Countries (OIC) involved in the Kashmir dispute once again.

The OIC, a group of 57 predominantly Muslim countries, which promotes Muslim solidarity in political, social and economic matters, has appointed a Special Envoy on Kashmir, Abdullah bin Abdul Rahman, a Saudi Arabian official, who is expected to endorse Pakistan’s viewpoint on Kashmir in international forums.

The envoy may not even be allowed to visit Jammu and Kashmir if any such request is made, Indian diplomatic sources told Hindustan Times.

India may have refused to discuss Kashmir during External Affairs Minister SM Krishna’s meeting with his Pakistani counterpart SM Qureshi last Sunday, when they met on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly meet. But there was no way it could prevent the issue from being brought into focus, what with Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, chairperson of Kashmir’s separatist All Party Hurriyat Conference (APHC) addressing a ‘contact group’ of the OIC on Monday.

“We believe the OIC appointing a special envoy on Kashmir is a significant development,” said the Mirwaiz. “We want Muslim countries to use their good offices to persuade India to work on Kashmir.”

The OIC contact group the Mirwaiz addressed included the foreign ministers of Pakistan, Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Nigeria, as well as the Prime Minister of Pakistan Occupied Kashmir, Sardar Muhammad Yaqoob Khan.

Earlier he had also met Pakistan Prime Minister Asif Zardari and Foreign Minister Qureshi separately.

The Mirwaiz was also hopeful of American support. After being almost ignored by the previous George W. Bush administration, he believed the new people in power would pay more attention to Jammu & Kashmir.

International Islamic body appoints Kashmir envoy- Hindustan Times

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Why is India bothering to even try to be in the OIC??? Let them sort out Palestine and the million other problems and think of Kashmir.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Waste of time this is. I think just to appease Pakistan so that it stops pestering it. Nothing has happened in the past and nothing will in the future. Infact nothing will come out of it as the person appointed will not be given audience by India in the first place.

ppgj

i think india should form a group of prominent indian muslims which include former judges, diplomats, religious leaders, MPs and explain to the OIC our view. the fact to be driven home is india is second largest home for muslims who have equal rights unlike pakistan. the OIC should be given opportunity to tour both sides of LOC to find for themselves where india stands vis-a-vis development. if they still persist with their own irresponsible resolutions then just ignore them after a proper dressing down at the MOF. but yes, in a way, it has a flip side of sort of legitimising meddling which india has always opposed.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
i think india should form a group of prominent indian muslims which include former judges, diplomats, religious leaders, MPs and explain to the OIC our view. the fact to be driven home is india is second largest home for muslims who have equal rights unlike pakistan. the OIC should be given opportunity to tour both sides of LOC to find for themselves where india stands vis-a-vis development. if they still persist with their own irresponsible resolutions then just ignore them after a proper dressing down at the MOF. but yes, in a way, it has a flip side of sort of legitimising meddling which india has always opposed.
Quite unnecessary I feel. We dont have to justify it to countries who are oppressors themselves. Talk of Double Standards!! I say we Ignore them completely and get on with our Developmental projects.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Its very strange and worrying: what message OIC wants to convey to the world?
Should rest of the majority religions in their own territories start to plan something like that as it is going to be a guaranteed fact that Muslim will proliferate in one region and then will proclaim that land and nation as their own Islamic land.
Such dangerous politics by IOC is intolerable and will send a wrong message to secular nations where Muslims are not in majority. It will spoil the taste of many secular Muslims every where.

Pakistan is trying its luck every where to raise/internationalized kashmir issue without understanding its deleterious effects on rest of the muslim populations already struggling to clear wrong myths about islam living all across the globe. IOC is simply interfering in internal matter of india and pakistan is playing with fire.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Its very strange and worrying: what message OIC wants to convey to the world?
Should rest of the majority religions in their own territories start to plan something like that as it is going to be a guaranteed fact that Muslim will proliferate in one region and then will proclaim that land and nation as their own Islamic land.
Such dangerous politics by IOC is intolerable and will send a wrong message to secular nations where Muslims are not in majority. It will spoil the taste of many secular Muslims every where.

Pakistan is trying its luck every where to raise/internationalized kashmir issue without understanding its deleterious effects on rest of the muslim populations already struggling to clear wrong myths about islam living all across the globe. IOC is simply interfering in internal matter of india and pakistan is playing with fire.
Now you are going overboard with the Proliferating thing and all. The OIC has not been able to do anything in the past, and wont be able to do so now. Why bother with it? Why give it the importance it yearns for?? This kind of behaviour should be expected from the lobbyists Pakistan has in the muslim countries. They will try all means at their disposal. Cant blame them.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Don't worry guys, Ahmed can ban those guys too!!!

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
my post was to specifically raise the very concern of my Muslim friends in Australia, we are struggling here every time to convince people those who are very upfront to criticize. In India we understand such issues being biased and ineffectual but overseas; its very different cause we are already struggling to feel accepted with many other issues.

ppgj

Quite unnecessary I feel. We dont have to justify it to countries who are oppressors themselves. Talk of Double Standards!! I say we Ignore them completely and get on with our Developmental projects.
agree but i also like to say we have nothing to hide. on any parameter india has done more than pakistan in their respective territories. india also does not resettle other indians in j&k unlike pakistan- which has completely changed the demography of POK. also being a democracy india can also gain from a moralistic pov. but i do admit OIC has been an irritant of sorts and they need to be put in place.

mehwish92

Founding Member
Country flag
We don't need to care about what Pakistan thinks, and what OIC thinks. We need to worry about what Kashmiris think. After all Kashmir belongs to them, not anybody else. Besides, what right do countries like Saudi Arabia have to tell us what's right and what's wrong??

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Just one thing we should bother other than security in Kashmir is DEVELOPMENT...nothing else....

S.A.T.A

Its pertinent to note that OIC's moral grandstanding on disputes concerning Muslims would be better appreciated if the body shows greater keenness in solving disputes among its member states themselves.

Iam sure Kurds and Baluchistanis(to name a few),long oppressed by their fellow Muslims and equally keen to form independent states, would appreciate OIC's diplomatic largess.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles