INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

Chinmoy

Country flag
Maybe create new wing for small arms or work with private sector its a shame that a country who can produce amazing missiles can't produce good enough small arms for its country
Design wise INSAS was a brilliant concept. OFB screwed up the manufacturing process. After that DRDO walked out of small arm design process. During that time itself we saw JVPC, MCIWS design. Nothing after that from DRDO.

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
Design wise INSAS was a brilliant concept. OFB screwed up the manufacturing process. After that DRDO walked out of small arm design process. During that time itself we saw JVPC, MCIWS design. Nothing after that from DRDO.
Maybe more variants of insas with Better quality? But seems like they have hanged up the insas idea totally now

silverghost

Country flag
Maybe create new wing for small arms or work with private sector its a shame that a country who can produce amazing missiles can't produce good enough small arms for its country
They already are but the MoD babus are ignoring them. We have SSS defense, PLR systems, etc, but other than a small smattering of orders they haven't got anything substantial. The lion share of the orders has gone to woeful OFB or whatever the new name of the PSU is, who will manage to screw it up in a new & innovative way.

silverghost

Country flag

SKC

Country flag
I didn't know that INSAS had to attend some beauty pageant too. Sorry about my lack of knowledge on that.
It does not need to win any beauty pageants but why do always Indian weapon need to look ugly, and rest of the world is able to create nice looking one.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
The INSAS is one ugly assault rifle. Look at FN Scar, M27, Ak 14. Ours look like poor cousins of those.
I've a doubt Saar...

INSAS was designed in 1985
FN SCAR was designed in 2004
M-27 was designed in 2008
Ak-14 (don't know what that is, only heard about Ak-12/15/19) was designed in 2011

...so how come a 20 year old rifle be cousin?
I mean, don't you think something like uncle would have been a better choice?

Or may be some Sweet Home Alabama type shit is going on here which I'm not aware of :hmm:

silverghost

Country flag
I didn't know that INSAS had to attend some beauty pageant too. Sorry about my lack of knowledge on that.
Doesn't have to attend a beauty pageant. However, look at the fit and finish of the Insas, it looks like a rifle designed & manufactured by amateurs. If I place the rifles that I named side by side next to the Insas, would anybody buy an Insas? Even the Nepali army rejected them.

silverghost

Country flag
I've a doubt Saar...

INSAS was designed in 1985
FN SCAR was designed in 2004
M-27 was designed in 2008
Ak-14 (don't know what that is, only heard about Ak-12/15/19) was designed in 2011

...so how come a 20 year old rifle be cousin?
I mean, don't you think something like uncle would have been a better choice?

Or may be some Sweet Home Alabama type shit is going on here which I'm not aware of :hmm:
Sorry for the typo it is Ak15, however back to the topic please compare Insas with assault rifles of the 1985 vintage. M16A2, M4, Ak 74, Ak 74M, IMI Galil.

Chinmoy

Country flag
It does not need to win any beauty pageants but why do always Indian weapon need to look ugly, and rest of the world is able to create nice looking one.
If its a practical weapon and can shoot straight, its good enough for a soldier. If you would prefer look above performance, you are a dead duck on warfield.

AMOGH.jpg

Excalibur.jpg

INSAS-1.jpg

Some INSAS images. I myself handled the Excalibur and it was a damn smooth weapon. So it was a functional weapon is all practical purpose.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Doesn't have to attend a beauty pageant. However, look at the fit and finish of the Insas, it looks like a rifle designed & manufactured by amateurs. If I place the rifles that I named side by side next to the Insas, would anybody buy an Insas? Even the Nepali army rejected them.
Then put words in right perspective. OFB screwed up INSAS manufacturing big time and no one is going to deny that. On top of that IA was bit sadistic in their approach towards INSAS due to the manner in which it has been shoved down their throat at a very wrong time.

All in all, INSAS was a nice weapon which came at a wrong time and got inducted in wrong place.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Sorry for the typo it is Ak15, however back to the topic please compare Insas with assault rifles of the 1985 vintage. M16A2, M4, Ak 74, Ak 74M, IMI Galil.
Comparing with Ak-74, Ak-74M and IMI galil.
Similar polymer stock, handguard. Similar stamped lower receiver and dust cover arrangement. Long stroke, selector level on one side, nose-in-rock-back-magazine. Moreover all others contemporaries had reciprocating charging handle; be it Ak or Galil, but on the other hand INSAS had a non-reciprocating one. So I would guess INSAS here is better than both, at least on paper.

Now comparing with M-16 and M4. First thing you must consider here is both rifles were designed by a single person (or two to be more precise) compared to a committee for INSAS. Moreover both Sullivan and Stoner had immense knowledge about aeronautics, hence the use of aluminium and forgings. In 1985 it would be a joke to imagine an aerospace engineer in India tinkering with an assualt rifle. But still if we ignore few things like dust cover, forward assist and last round bolt hold open; then INSAS is pretty much similar to M-16 in terms of features. Moreover, even today you can't put a folding stock on an M-16; INSAS gave you this luxury in 1985.

As long as fit and finish is considered, it's a fault on OFB's part. Interestingly, you can also find similar problems in the initial days of M-16s adoption.

SKC

Country flag
If its a practical weapon and can shoot straight, its good enough for a soldier. If you would prefer look above performance, you are a dead duck on warfield.

View attachment 184292

View attachment 184293

View attachment 184294

Some INSAS images. I myself handled the Excalibur and it was a damn smooth weapon. So it was a functional weapon is all practical purpose.
practical weapon and can shoot straight

This is applicable to western and eastern weapons too but it always us who have to content with the poor aesthetics and looks.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles