INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

harpreet288

Country flag
Appreciate your response but i was more curious about 5.56 vs 5.45. My knowledge is quite limited in ballistic science(that's why i am here to learn and discuss these things but mostly learn), imho @Lonewarrior is far more knowledgeable in this regard.
Both r the same bro, actually the Soviets copied the Americans during the Vietnam war from captured M-16 rifles impressed they told Gen Kalashnikov to make a similar rifle round for the Russian army, though the Gen was not ready but he didn't have any choice..

Well the Soviets came with the with the AK-74 and further version..

It was known as the poison bullet,if hit for ex-the Mujahideen in Afghanistan,the part which the bullet struck had to be amputated.

The Americans complained this in the UN meeting and to ban the 5.45*39mm round,but the Soviets showed the middle finger to the Americans 😂😆..

But it's an intermediate bullet thus having its limitations, I would prefer the old M-43 old school round any given Sunday as it has great knockout power..

Even the Indian army realised this,but strictly believe we should have copied the RPD SAW with barrel change option &a belt version,and should have made our INSAS rifle by chambered 7.62*45mm Chzec round which was for the Chzec vz-52 a great round with more knockout power,thus activating a dead round to our own benefits...

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Appreciate your response but i was more curious about 5.56 vs 5.45. My knowledge is quite limited in ballistic science(that's why i am here to learn and discuss these things but mostly learn), imho @Lonewarrior is far more knowledgeable in this regard.
First of all, just a bit knowledgeable. Far more is way too much for me Bhai.

Well on paper there are many differences. 5.56 cartridge is heavy, muzzle energy is more, drop is slightly more than 5.45, recoil is higher....and it goes on.

But for a soldier, who just need to carry the ammunition, shoot it and kill or wound the enemy; the differences are way to small to judge them.

harpreet288

Country flag
INSAS LMG is not really malfunctioning. A magazine fed fixed barrel LMG has rated fire capacity of around 1000 rounds in 30 minutes. In the clip it seems 300 rounds are fired in 2.5 minutes ie 4 times the sustainable rate.

The soldier seems tense and is simply working the bolt in absense of bolt hold open device
Good observation

harpreet288

Country flag
Say whatever you want...INSAS had that Indian element innit

Talented but ruined by system

Quality control problem,but what I assume is our first time in house designed rifle..

But kudos to the ofb who kept on improving and not giving up..

Failure and exposure are our best friend as they provide us the opportunity to improve..

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Looks like they changed the OFB carbine from rock n lock magazines to straight insert magazines like in AR pattern rifles.

View attachment 120439
Most probably no, the gap between the magazine body and that faux "magwell" is too big.

It's most probably just for aesthetic purposes and for a slight help in reloading.

The Galil variants using rock n lock magzines also use this exact magwell design but it serves no actual purpose.
1eb1439e23ac61e5399be7a88a82921c.jpg

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Looks like they changed the OFB carbine from rock n lock magazines to straight insert magazines like in AR pattern rifles.

View attachment 120439
Na bhaee it still feeds from INSAS pattern magazines (made non-transparent recently) and has typical AK style magazine lock, just refer to other pic for better view
1637333489370.png

ManhattanProject

Country flag
Most probably no, the gap between the magazine body and that faux "magwell" is too big.

It's most probably just for aesthetic purposes and for a slight help in reloading.

The Galil variants using rock n lock magzines also use this exact magwell design but it serves no actual purpose.
View attachment 120497
No the galil magwell is different, it has sufficient space for all kinds ok AK rock and lock mags. The magwell isnt as narrow or short as the ofb carbine. I would say it looks more like a g36, mp5 style system where its a psuedo rock n lock/straight in.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
So with the magwell it seems more like a g36 type system. There wasnt a magwell before.
G36 one is also drop free pattern magazine, they just use paddel pattern magazine lock to hold the magazine in place and mag well shape is much tighter so there are little to no chance of magazine moving around/wobbling and dropping out due to that,
there is no front locking tab on G36 magazine either,
also G36 magazine well//housing is replacable with one that could accomodate STANAG pattern magazines due to this drop-free feature etc

Yeah there wasn't any 'faux' magwell before since AK style magazines and system don't really need it, magazine they seem to be giving this new carbine a faux magwell for ;reasons;

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
What might be the barrell length of this new patterned OFB carbine?

Also kudos to OFB for coming up with this sleek new version of the Sig-chap carbine (showcased initially in Defence expo 2020) withinin just 1 month of transformations into the new company called Advanced Weapons and Equipments India.

ManhattanProject

Country flag
G36 one is also drop free pattern magazine, they just use paddel pattern magazine lock to hold the magazine in place and mag well shape is much tighter so there are little to no chance of magazine moving around/wobbling and dropping out due to that,
there is no front locking tab on G36 magazine either,
also G36 magazine well//housing is replacable with one that could accomodate STANAG pattern magazines due to this drop-free feature etc

Yeah there wasn't any 'faux' magwell before since AK style magazines and system don't really need it, magazine they seem to be giving this new carbine a faux magwell for ;reasons;
What proof do you have that these mags arent modified? Why else would you give it a magwell making it harder for a rock n lock mag to seat easier?

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
What proof do you have that these mags arent modified? Why else would you give it a magwell making it harder for a rock n lock mag to seat easier?
i have no proofs, take it or leave it, i just function by my eyesight and common sense,
rest go to defenseexpo this year and ask yourself if it has bolt hold open feature and magazines are modified or not, and why they even added a mag well on it,
ask same thing to Adani PLR IWI etc guys too who's into Galil Ace and things.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles