INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

Killbot

Country flag
Well. I thought that such a modification will make the INSAS LMG 5.56 more useful and relevant.

A 30 round magazine for an LMG is simply not sufficient. At firing rates of minimum 600 rounds per minute a 30 round magazine will be emptied out quickly requiring frequent magazine changes.
You fire in short bursts, not sustained. But 30 rounds is still insufficient. They can make drum mags, but I wouldn't trust OFB to make an already unreliable system. They'll fuck it up even more..

Killbot

Country flag
Ag

agree...saw a video from last year i think...IA soldier using the Insas LMG on pak border....plenty of misfires...(prolly faulty ammo)...he went thru 8-12 mags...one after the other...
Again, a gun without a quick change barrel is not meant for sustained fire. It'll obviously get overheated and send a bunch of dust and carbon and some gases down the gas block into the chamber...

Desi Aam

Country flag
Again, a gun without a quick change barrel is not meant for sustained fire. It'll obviously get overheated and send a bunch of dust and carbon and some gases down the gas block into the chamber...
Ehh...?

Have you seen that video...?? Suggest you check it out before you offer your opinion...!!

Killbot

Country flag
Ehh...?

Have you seen that video...?? Suggest you check it out before you offer your opinion...!!
I have.

Read my post again. What I meant was, no mag fed rifle can make it through 8 30 round mags without the barrel getting overheated. In this case, malfunctions are bound to happen due to the combination of environmental factors, overheating and OFB metallurgy on the barrel. Nothing to do with ammo.

You need a thick profile barrel for better heat dissipation (which INSAS LMG has) and the ability to change the barrel in the field (Like M249, Negev, etc). Because barrel overheating is inevitable when you have 200 rounds through the gun on full auto without a break. And the barrel life on INSAS isn't something to write home about, according this veteran I know (due to OFB QC).

Tridev123

Country flag
Ag

agree...saw a video from last year i think...IA soldier using the Insas LMG on pak border....plenty of misfires...(prolly faulty ammo)...he went thru 8-12 mags...one after the other...
We have been hearing about the fuck up by the OFB so many times in the last few decades. This ghost should be laid to rest

Why don't they give the IPR rights to the private sector for the production of small arms.
Example, Kalyani group should be given the rights to manufacture the
1. Latest versions of the INSAS/Excaliber
2.INSAS LMG 5.56
3.JVPC
I would really like to see what Baba Kalyani does. Is he going to replicate the poor manufacturing practices of the OFB or innovate. Making the product better and delivering a world class product.

If Kalyani makes a good product out of the same INSAS design then OFB should be shown the middle finger and given an ultimatum. Either restructure to increase efficiency or shut down.

We keep on cursing the OFB but are clueless about how to turn this sloth bear into a tiger.

Tridev123

Country flag
You fire in short bursts, not sustained. But 30 rounds is still insufficient. They can make drum mags, but I wouldn't trust OFB to make an already unreliable system. They'll fuck it up even more..
Does India have an alternative to the comatose OFB.
How we wish that an Indian Heckler & Koch exists in the country.
Why would we then need to import rifles.

Killbot

Country flag
We have been hearing about the fuck up by the OFB so many times in the last few decades. This ghost should be laid to rest

Why don't they give the IPR rights to the private sector for the production of small arms.
Example, Kalyani group should be given the rights to manufacture the
1. Latest versions of the INSAS/Excaliber
2.INSAS LMG 5.56
3.JVPC
I would really like to see what Baba Kalyani does. Is he going to replicate the poor manufacturing practices of the OFB or innovate. Making the product better and delivering a world class product.

If Kalyani makes a good product out of the same INSAS design then OFB should be shown the middle finger and given an ultimatum. Either restructure to increase efficiency or shut down.

We keep on cursing the OFB but are clueless about how to turn this sloth bear into a tiger.
Let them design their own thing based on INSAS. Fully ambidextrous version of Excalibur that takes Stanag magazines for example.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
"Belt Fed AK"

Do you guys realise that both Negev and FN M249 (or FN MINIMI) are practically exact same thing i.e. belt fed AK ?

Then there is also PK that is literally upside down AK and it was even designed by team led by Mikhail Kalashnikov himself (PK = Pulemyot Kalashnikova = Kalashnikov's Machine Gun)

So i don't think such "mod" to a normal AK is even required, rather you can get a dedicated dual-fed machine gun like M249 or Negev.

Killbot

Country flag
Maybe the ones who don’t face direct combat, Artillery, Signals etc.
+Ghatak platoons, Para Air, Mechanized Infantry, Tank crews, field officers/NCOs, COIN guys (RR and AR), MPs, Military intel, Engineers, etc.
Signals won't get too many guns bro. It'll probably be AKs. Even Arty will probably get AKs. 6.5 lakh?? All of infantry and RR combined is around 4 lakh soldiers. There are 2 lakh artillerymen.

Automatic Kalashnikov

Country flag
+Ghatak platoons, Para Air, Mechanized Infantry, Tank crews, field officers/NCOs, COIN guys (RR and AR), MPs, Military intel, Engineers, etc.
Signals won't get too many guns bro. It'll probably be AKs. Even Arty will probably get AKs. 6.5 lakh?? All of infantry and RR combined is around 4 lakh soldiers. There are 2 lakh artillerymen.
AR isn't under MOD, how will they get these?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles