INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

GunDeGunday

Country flag
Gawd ! This is one butt fugly looking weapon, its as if various parts of different AK versions decided to do the ahem 'cha cha' and couldn't get separated later !
Oh Effing B with their best effort ! If this is the 'make in india' carbine, then I REALLY REALLY wish IA ditches it.
Atleast JVPC is better...
If you're talking about the pic in the quote, then that's the SIG Sauer 556 not OFB 😛

but in terms of design i don't find much issues raised by you keeping the background of intended role (as replacement of Sterling SMG) and design of the firearm in mind.
Why are they replacing Sterlings with that gun rather than with JVPC? I thought it was only average type of bodyguard who carry Sterlings so for their purpose the JVPC would be just fine and also compact.

Last edited:

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Even though govt has many local options why aren't they releasing tenders and purchase it, it's low cost also
Money can't be the issue
After all soldiers need guns to fight

ManhattanProject

Country flag
If you're talking about the pic in the quote, then that's the SIG Sauer 556 not OFB 😛

Why are they replacing Sterlings with that gun rather than with JVPC? I thought it was only average type of bodyguard who carry Sterlings so for their purpose the JVPC would be just fine and also compact.
no the pic i posted is of the ofb cqb carbine.

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
no the pic i posted is of the ofb cqb carbine.
Thanks for proving my statement regarding Oh Effing B :) I had trouble believing that atrocious design was from SiG !

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
I was really shocked when I looked at this. Does Indian customs have weapons?

"" The Customs has over 6,000 weapons, including 1,500 outdated 0.303 rifles, which needs to be phased out immediately. These rifles are likely to be replaced with 5.56 mm INSAS, manufactured by Ishapore rifle factory in West Bengal, according to official sources.
Apart from rifles and signal pistols, the Customs currently has 65 LMGs, 548 SLRs, more than 1,500 pistols of different make and more than 1,500 revolvers. These weapons are now proposed to be replaced with imported or ordnance factory made revolvers and pistols. More LMGs will be procured for newly acquired patrol boats.""
This article is really old, like published in 2013

WolfPack86

Country flag
Carbine Deal A Benchmark To Invest In India, Says UAE Arms Firm CARACAL
The deal for 93,895 Close Quarter Carbines (CQBs) for the Indian Army, for which United Arab Emirates (UAE)’s government-owned small arms manufacturer Caracal was shortlisted, is like a “benchmark” for UAE industry and they are watching closely on further investments in the Indian market, said Hamad Salem Alameri, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Caracal in an interview to The Hindu.

“Once this first contract moves, lot of sister companies within the group will see this as a success story and people will have the confidence to come and invest in India,” Mr. Alameri said. He said this was the most important message that everyone is looking at and people are willing to come and invest in India and create jobs with the blessings of the two governments.

However, while Caracal was shortlisted two years back, the final deal has been delayed and recently an in-principle decision was taken in the Defence Ministry to cancel the deal and take the domestic route for procurement. But no formal announcement has been made so far.

“Nothing came to us officially on the cancellation or on the intent of cancellation,” Mr. Alameri said.

He said in the last two years Caracal had developed lot of suppliers and technology partners and the starting point of indigenisation will be 60%. Stating that Caracal has already identified four locations to set up the facility and also identified local partners to be able to commence production immediately, Mr. Alameri said India is already part of their global supply chain and over 20% of the components fitted on the CAR 816 are already made in India.

The deals for 72,400 assault rifles and 93,895 carbines were approved by the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) in January 2018 to be processed through the Fast Track Procurement (FTP) route. While the deal for assault rifles was concluded with Sig Saur and SIG-716 assault rifles delivered to the Army, the CQB deal in which Caracal was selected has been held up. The total number CQBs required is much larger given the Army’s requirement.

Caracal was among two of five contenders who qualified in the trials, from which it was declared the lowest bidder as its bid was $26 million less than the competitor, Mr. Alameri said. As part of the evaluation, an Army team conducted trials at the vendors’ facilities and later the carbines were tested in India with local ammunition to check compatibility.

Caracal which is looking to expand its presence in the Indian market, is now bidding for the Sniper rifles tender of the Army and also looking to supply sub-machine guns to the Home Ministry, Mr. Alameri added.

The CAR-816 carbines meant to replace the Army’s 9mm Sterling carbines in service and have higher bullet velocity and reduced weight compared to the Sterling carbines. Caracal has already said it is positioned to complete the order within 12 months.

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
Carbine Deal A Benchmark To Invest In India, Says UAE Arms Firm CARACAL
The deal for 93,895 Close Quarter Carbines (CQBs) for the Indian Army, for which United Arab Emirates (UAE)’s government-owned small arms manufacturer Caracal was shortlisted, is like a “benchmark” for UAE industry and they are watching closely on further investments in the Indian market, said Hamad Salem Alameri, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Caracal in an interview to The Hindu.

“Once this first contract moves, lot of sister companies within the group will see this as a success story and people will have the confidence to come and invest in India,” Mr. Alameri said. He said this was the most important message that everyone is looking at and people are willing to come and invest in India and create jobs with the blessings of the two governments.

However, while Caracal was shortlisted two years back, the final deal has been delayed and recently an in-principle decision was taken in the Defence Ministry to cancel the deal and take the domestic route for procurement. But no formal announcement has been made so far.

“Nothing came to us officially on the cancellation or on the intent of cancellation,” Mr. Alameri said.

He said in the last two years Caracal had developed lot of suppliers and technology partners and the starting point of indigenisation will be 60%. Stating that Caracal has already identified four locations to set up the facility and also identified local partners to be able to commence production immediately, Mr. Alameri said India is already part of their global supply chain and over 20% of the components fitted on the CAR 816 are already made in India.

The deals for 72,400 assault rifles and 93,895 carbines were approved by the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) in January 2018 to be processed through the Fast Track Procurement (FTP) route. While the deal for assault rifles was concluded with Sig Saur and SIG-716 assault rifles delivered to the Army, the CQB deal in which Caracal was selected has been held up. The total number CQBs required is much larger given the Army’s requirement.

Caracal was among two of five contenders who qualified in the trials, from which it was declared the lowest bidder as its bid was $26 million less than the competitor, Mr. Alameri said. As part of the evaluation, an Army team conducted trials at the vendors’ facilities and later the carbines were tested in India with local ammunition to check compatibility.

Caracal which is looking to expand its presence in the Indian market, is now bidding for the Sniper rifles tender of the Army and also looking to supply sub-machine guns to the Home Ministry, Mr. Alameri added.

The CAR-816 carbines meant to replace the Army’s 9mm Sterling carbines in service and have higher bullet velocity and reduced weight compared to the Sterling carbines. Caracal has already said it is positioned to complete the order within 12 months.
Well @Killbot @FalconSlayers ,my inner mind was right afterall!!

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
I was really shocked when I looked at this. Does Indian customs have weapons?

"" The Customs has over 6,000 weapons, including 1,500 outdated 0.303 rifles, which needs to be phased out immediately. These rifles are likely to be replaced with 5.56 mm INSAS, manufactured by Ishapore rifle factory in West Bengal, according to official sources.
Apart from rifles and signal pistols, the Customs currently has 65 LMGs, 548 SLRs, more than 1,500 pistols of different make and more than 1,500 revolvers. These weapons are now proposed to be replaced with imported or ordnance factory made revolvers and pistols. More LMGs will be procured for newly acquired patrol boats.""
This article is really old, like published in 2013
Whats more shocking is that they use LMGs as well😂😂😂.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Bro, I never really knew Customs had any firearms, LOL!!
Do you know anything about it??
I used to think they do carry Pistols for obvious reasons (against narcotics smugglers if found to attack any employee and/or escaping etc).

But rifles? LMGs? Lol 😂.

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
I used to think they do carry Pistols for obvious reasons (against narcotics smugglers if found to attack any employee and/or escaping etc).

But rifles? LMGs? Lol 😂.
You wanna more crazy part?? In pakistan there is a Anti Narcotics Force which is a separate paramilitary unit in itself!! Just imagine how many equipment they carry!!

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
But that's not SSB camouflage uniform right?
Maybe those detachments get different uniforms, maybe they're something else.

Bottomline is that they not FD. Kaziranga has and poacher problems & they keep some units more trained for gunfights.

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
Maybe those detachments get different uniforms, maybe they're something else.

Bottomline is that they not FD. Kaziranga has and poacher problems & they keep some units more trained for gunfights.
Pls clarify one doubt I have!! Does every forest rangers in every state carry firearms like SLRs and Aks??

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Pls clarify one doubt I have!! Does every forest rangers in every state carry firearms like SLRs and Aks??
Firstly, "Ranger" is a senior post. A forest range under him/her is the size of a large town... These are forest guard or beat officers or contingency staff.

And, no. They don't have that much funds (nor that much requirement) & aren't standardised well all over India. They carry double-barrelled shotguns & old .315, sometimes .22. Nowadays new OFB pump action shotgun replacing the old ones.
Kazi guys have got some OFB Ghatak now.

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
Firstly, "Ranger" is a senior post. A forest range under him/her is the size of a large town... These are forest guard or beat officers or contingency staff.

And, no. They don't have that much funds (nor that much requirement) & aren't standardised well all over India. They carry double-barrelled shotguns & old .315, sometimes .22. Nowadays new OFB pump action shotgun replacing the old ones.
Kazi guys have got some OFB Ghatak now.
Sorry, my bad it's forest guards!! And hopefully they get funds to upgrade their personal defence weapons. Atleast replace those bolt action rifles with SLRs or any automatic rifles like Ofb Ghatak/TAR.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles