INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
L
Ordnance Factory of Tiruchirappalli (OFT) on Thursday unveiled a new weapon, an anti-materiel rifle (AMR) to be used by the Indian Army.
Defence minister Rajnath Singh launched the indigenous rifle through videoconferencing.

AMR is a large calibre (diameter) sniper rifle with two types of calibre - 14.5 mm and 20 mm. The rifle can be used in the anti-materiel role to destroy enemy bunkers, lightly armoured vehicles, radar systems, parked aircraft and fuel storage facility.

The weapon has a range of 1,800 metre for 14.5 mm calibre and 1,300 metre for 20 mm calibre. AMR has a detachable three-round magazine. “So far, we were importing the weapon from South Africa. Now, OFT has developed the weapon through our own research and development.”

Ordnance Factory Board, Kolkata, has received orders from central armed police forces and state police organisation

another_armchair

Country flag
Found this interesting.

The U.S. Army, in adopting the M16, made a serious mistake: it over-hyped the weapon’s reliability while switching to an inferior gunpowder formula.
Stoner and the AR-15 had used IMR 4475 gunpowder early in the weapon’s career, but in 1963 the Army substituted WC 846 ball gunpowder that burned dirtier than 4475. A direct impingement weapon like the M16 recycled gunpowder gases into the action to cycle the weapon, and experts believed the switch made the weapon six times more likely to misfeed or foul.

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
The whole idea to ask Order of 1800 Sniper Rifles + 27 lakh ammunition to be fulfilled in one year is to oust OFB & SSS.

OFB Vidhwansk which has been relaunched was first produced in 2008 but Army refused to place any orders. 100 were produced for BSF & production stopped. Its max range in 14.5mm caliber is 3000m+

Twinblade

Country flag
UBGL for TAR by OFT (Clone of Arsenal M6 UBGL)
View attachment 56323View attachment 56324
This variant of TAR is being delivered to CRPF with rails on the upper handguard.
6167 ordered by CRPF.
That is Arsenal M6 grenade launcher. Has OFT copied the UBGL along with the rifle or is it a license build ? There was no use for this because the ARDE/OFB grenade launcher is good enough and fits all AKMs perfectly.

JBH22

Twinblade

Country flag
I think they're making copies.

They've recently just copied the AK74U as well.
Shameful if true. Especially since they could have improved their existing product. The copied Arsenal UBGL provides no advantage over ARDE designed UBGL (which again was inspired from Romanian AG 40).

I remember several years ago, me and Kunal Biswas STFU some polish guy on mp.net who was claiming the ARDE/OFB UBGL was a rip off of Arsenal design. The ARDE/OFB UBGL was lighter by a significant margin and was dimensionally completely different.

Now we are actually ripping off an Arsenal product.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Shameful if true. Especially since they could have improved their existing product. The copied Arsenal UBGL provides no advantage over ARDE designed UBGL (which again was inspired from Romanian AG 40).

I remember several years ago, me and Kunal Biswas STFU some polish guy on mp.net who was claiming the ARDE/OFB UBGL was a rip off of Arsenal design. The ARDE/OFB UBGL was lighter by a significant margin and was dimensionally completely different.

Now we are actually ripping off an Arsenal product.
I could understand if another OFB factory wants to make a competing design, but like you said OFT is already producing a design. DRDO from some old models I've seen were designing a variant with the grip and rails as well.

Last edited:

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
No issues with license production of succesful models if OFB could make improvements over it in coming years and make models which are advanced than it. Its lot better than working on something from scratch and gets thumbs downed from all the possible customers.
TAR looks more refined than stamped sheet Ghatak.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
I am assuming all these launches are for products that have completed internal trials..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles