Indian Army SIG Sauer 716 assault rifle.

WolfPack86

Country flag
Why Did the Indian Army Decide to Buy Sig Sauer's 716 Rifle?
In February 2019, the Indian Army announced the purchase of SIG716G2 7.62x51mm battle rifles. The SIG716 is meant to complement their purchase of AK-103 rifles from Russia and Caracal CAR 816 carbines. This will mean that the Indian Army will field service rifles in three different calibers in the near future: 7.62x51 in the Sig, 7.62x39 in the AK, and 5.56x45 in the Caracal.

This first appeared in July 2019 and is being republished due to reader's interest.

But in the tender for the Indian Army contract, the Sig was mentioned to have beat out two other 7.62x51mm battle rifles for the final purchase: The Caracal CAR817 and an Israeli rifle from IWI, which either could have been the Galil ACE 7.62 or Tavor 7.

So how does the Sig rifle stack up to these competitors? Which factors could have lead to its eventual purchase by the Indian military?

In layout, the SIG716G2 is practically identical to the Caracal CAR817. Both rifles are AR-pattern 7.62x51mm battle rifles that utilize a short-stroke tappet gas piston mounted above the barrel. There are some minor differences between the two rifles in internal layout, piston design, and ergonomic features, but the primary functional difference is the setup of the gas block.

On the CAR817, the gas block is railed to mount a forward iron sight, presumably to better hold zero as the ironsight is mounted directly onto the barrel. However, on the CAR 817, this means that the rail terminates at the gas block, preventing the mounting of lights and lasers far forward on the rifle, where many users prefer to place them.

In contrast, the SIG716G2 has a low profile gas block that fits under the rail that allows the rail to extend further forward. Small cuts in the rail give space for a tool to adjust the gas block to different gas settings. The SIG’s longer rail and low profile gas block appear to be the most popular barrel and rail configuration on rifles nowadays, being used on U.S. Army SOF’s new URG-I and various other popular Colt Canada, SIG, and H&K rifles.

The SIG716G2’s gas block is also additionally tunable, having four gas positions including an “off” setting for launching rifle grenades, compared to the CAR817’s two gas positions, which don’t include a full off.

The gas cutoff present on the SIG716G2 could have been the deciding factor in the Indian military’s decision. One of the rifles that the SIG716G2 might replace is the INSAS, which also has a gas cutoff for the purpose of launching rifle grenades.

From the Israeli rifles, the Galil ACE 7.62 lacks a gas cutoff while the Tavor 7 has one. But the Tavor 7 doesn’t appear to support an extended barrel with gas rings that launching rifle grenades would probably require. The Indian military already makes limited use of the Tavor rifles in 5.56, but existing examples have only been seen with underbarrel grenade launchers, not rifle grenades.

However, regardless of technical features, the selection of Emirati, American, and Russian rifles as the new service rifles of the Indian military could be a political move, balancing commitments between the respective nations. As such, Sig Sauer’s real competitors might not have been the Caracal or IWI rifles, but rather other American battle rifles.

Charlie Gao studied political and computer science at Grinnell College and is a frequent commentator on defense and national security issues. This first appeared in July 2019 and is being republished due to reader's interest.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Why Did the Indian Army Decide to Buy Sig Sauer's 716 Rifle?
In February 2019, the Indian Army announced the purchase of SIG716G2 7.62x51mm battle rifles. The SIG716 is meant to complement their purchase of AK-103 rifles from Russia and Caracal CAR 816 carbines. This will mean that the Indian Army will field service rifles in three different calibers in the near future: 7.62x51 in the Sig, 7.62x39 in the AK, and 5.56x45 in the Caracal.

This first appeared in July 2019 and is being republished due to reader's interest.

But in the tender for the Indian Army contract, the Sig was mentioned to have beat out two other 7.62x51mm battle rifles for the final purchase: The Caracal CAR817 and an Israeli rifle from IWI, which either could have been the Galil ACE 7.62 or Tavor 7.

So how does the Sig rifle stack up to these competitors? Which factors could have lead to its eventual purchase by the Indian military?

In layout, the SIG716G2 is practically identical to the Caracal CAR817. Both rifles are AR-pattern 7.62x51mm battle rifles that utilize a short-stroke tappet gas piston mounted above the barrel. There are some minor differences between the two rifles in internal layout, piston design, and ergonomic features, but the primary functional difference is the setup of the gas block.

On the CAR817, the gas block is railed to mount a forward iron sight, presumably to better hold zero as the ironsight is mounted directly onto the barrel. However, on the CAR 817, this means that the rail terminates at the gas block, preventing the mounting of lights and lasers far forward on the rifle, where many users prefer to place them.

In contrast, the SIG716G2 has a low profile gas block that fits under the rail that allows the rail to extend further forward. Small cuts in the rail give space for a tool to adjust the gas block to different gas settings. The SIG’s longer rail and low profile gas block appear to be the most popular barrel and rail configuration on rifles nowadays, being used on U.S. Army SOF’s new URG-I and various other popular Colt Canada, SIG, and H&K rifles.

The SIG716G2’s gas block is also additionally tunable, having four gas positions including an “off” setting for launching rifle grenades, compared to the CAR817’s two gas positions, which don’t include a full off.

The gas cutoff present on the SIG716G2 could have been the deciding factor in the Indian military’s decision. One of the rifles that the SIG716G2 might replace is the INSAS, which also has a gas cutoff for the purpose of launching rifle grenades.

From the Israeli rifles, the Galil ACE 7.62 lacks a gas cutoff while the Tavor 7 has one. But the Tavor 7 doesn’t appear to support an extended barrel with gas rings that launching rifle grenades would probably require. The Indian military already makes limited use of the Tavor rifles in 5.56, but existing examples have only been seen with underbarrel grenade launchers, not rifle grenades.

However, regardless of technical features, the selection of Emirati, American, and Russian rifles as the new service rifles of the Indian military could be a political move, balancing commitments between the respective nations. As such, Sig Sauer’s real competitors might not have been the Caracal or IWI rifles, but rather other American battle rifles.

Charlie Gao studied political and computer science at Grinnell College and is a frequent commentator on defense and national security issues. This first appeared in July 2019 and is being republished due to reader's interest.
LMFAO :rofl:
Ecellent article. Outstanding. Unbelievable.

But there is a slight problem with it, just slight.
We are not buying short stroke piston operated SIG 716G2s with adjustable gas block, WE ARE BUYING DIRECT IMPINGEMENT SIG 716i TREADs WITH NON-ADJUSTABLE GAS BLOCK.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Yes,these are DI versions of SIG rifles in 7.62 NATO

I think one reason we opted for DI based AR was high recoil on Short Stroke system with 7.62 NATO,and possible muzzle climb // carrier tilt things,though on full auto same issues would persist with this riphul,too!
from my observation i think it as well that it's a Direct Impingement rifle.

@Lonewarrior bhai your comments please.

Emperor Kalki

Country flag
LMFAO :rofl:
Ecellent article. Outstanding. Unbelievable.

But there is a slight problem with it, just slight.
We are not buying short stroke piston operated SIG 716G2s with adjustable gas block, WE ARE BUYING DIRECT IMPINGEMENT SIG 716i TREADs WITH NON-ADJUSTABLE GAS BLOCK.
Yeah and what was that about the gas block being railed on 817 and not enough rail length stuff......🙄

Lonewarrior

Country flag

Jee ustaad, you are absolutely right.

Slight correction, that rectangular projection on the side of upper receiver, just behind the handguard has nothing to do with DI or SS. That thing is there just to give necessary space to the bolt cam pin to rotate.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag

for comparison,an actual (civilain) G2 with short stroke gas piston system on it,
notice how spring is clearly visible through handguard slots (this one's KeyMode one,though) and no significant bulge near cam-pin section like a DI 716i TREAD (though i think there is minor bulge there,for gas piston maybe but not as big to allow gas tube passing there)

1594721005601.png

and this is 716i

Also notice how DI receiver is having less ;height; on its top than Short Stroke version due to that gas piston system due to that it also requires 'taller' handguards.

Last edited:

Emperor Kalki

Country flag
for comparison,an actual (civilain) G2 with short stroke gas piston system on it,
notice how spring is clearly visible through handguard slots (this one's KeyMode one,though) and no significant bulge near cam-pin section like a DI 716i TREAD (though i think there is minor bulge there,for gas piston maybe but not as big to allow gas tube passing there)

View attachment 53025

and this is 716i

Also notice how DI receiver is having less ;height; on its top than Short Stroke version due to that gas piston system due to that it also requires 'taller' handguards.
Yup, caught this from their official video....only slight bulge in g2
Screenshot_20200714-153840.png

(wrong image edited out)

operatorgrumby

Country flag
And how will you have a TALLER gas block inside a SLIMMER handguard??
Because the SIG 716 G2 has a slimmer low profile gas block that fits under the rail with minimal signature.
716-blk-patrol.jpg

The adjustable gas block can still be accessed through the rail.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Because the SIG 716 G2 has a slimmer low profile gas block that fits under the rail with minimal signature.
View attachment 53032
The adjustable gas block can still be accessed through the rail.
Look closely, neither the gas block is slimmer low profile nor the handguard.
That's a big ass handguard, stretched vertically to accommodate the piston assembly.

operatorgrumby

Country flag
Why are we Mindf***ing each other about whether it's DI or Piston operated 🤣🤣🤣.
When we can just simply raid the facility here where the already delivered guns are being stored for training purpose right now to find out😈...it will be the desi version of Storm Area 51😁

"Aur nhi to me jake sidha SIG SAUER walon ko contact karta hoon hamare community ke behalf se ki unhone kounsi bandhook becha hume???"

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Why are we Mindf***ing each other about whether it's DI or Piston operated 🤣🤣🤣.
When we can just simply raid the facility here where the already delivered guns are being stored for training purpose right now to find out😈...it will be the desi version of Storm Area 51😁

"Aur nhi to me jake sidha SIG SAUER walon ko contact karta hoon hamare community ke behalf se ki unhone kounsi bandhook becha hume???"
And you will hear this age old golden line

Sorry, but we are not supposed to disclose that as per the end user agreement clause.

And AFAIK it's impossible to get orgasm without f***ing, no matter what....

Gessler

Country flag
Yes I am sure about that. Even LIVEFIST DEFENCE reported it as SIG 716 G2 Patrol. They are the first ones to post the pictures & with Shiv & Sandeep reporting it I don't have a doubt. As mentioned above 'New' SIG 716i TREAD models are 'similarly' build which means either we or SIG demanded or offered us respectively a lighter handguard before they launched civilian DI variant. @Gessler can help more with that.
Yes we are getting DI variant of 716 which was specifically developed for Indian tender. Originally there was only SS-GP variant of 716 but IA did not specify any mandatory requirement of GP, which must have prompted SIG to try and come up with a DI version of their 716 platform which would allow them to significantly reduce the asking price of the gun, getting them the contract.

Later on, with the variant already designed, tested & validated as part of IA trials, it would have been a common-sensical decision to also release a civilian variant.

As of the name, I don't think they ever called it anything except 716G2 even in SIG official press release. It's because the platform is G2 (receiver, trigger guard etc. have changes between G1 & G2) and I'm pretty sure the gun would also have been officially called 716G2 in documentation.

The 716i name purely came for commercial civilian market purposes to help differentiate between the DI TREAD & GP G2 variants. But I guess we can call the guns used by IA as 716i as they are unique from regular 716G2 and because they are the base for the 716i we see on market today.

Last edited:

IndianHawk

Country flag

ARVION

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Wisemarko

Country flag
Is there any plan to buy optics for all these rifles? .308 needs a sturdy one and all I can think of costs as much as the rifle.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles