INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Any updates on this issue being sorted out?

https://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?t=2612&start=105

@Unknowncommando 2 remember those failure to feed videos we were talking about a few weeks back with the Assam Police commando's videos?
@Unknowncommando 2 @Kunal Biswas

I may have figured out the problem and it's possible solution.

INSAS has a 3 round burst mode with the following trigger grouping.

The three round burst mechanism is a sheet metal encased module that sits on the left side of the trigger/sear shoulder. It works by way of a ratchet and pawl lock-work. It is a vitual clone of the FNC/CAL module and at least in theory, independent of the basic functioning of the trigger mechanism. i.e. in case it buggers up, semi will continue functioning. The red circle in the picture below shows the 3 round burst module.
https://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9131

Apparently the Ghatak has a 3 round mode as well!

1:37=Ghatak full auto

1:57=Ghatak 3 round burst

3:00= Single shot firing with poor handling ethics by the media person.

The basic outer look of the receiver is same as other AK`s around the world, It has the similar selector switch which has similar modes, One is semi other is fully auto and safety, The cocking / charging handle are all similar to an AK`s, However the magazine release and trigger so does assembly is from INSAS 1B1 when looked closely.

The receiver is most mysterious part of this rifle, As its looks similar to any other AK`s in the world while its internal working makes its most different than other AK`s around the world.
https://www.quora.com/How-good-is-the-new-Ghatak-rifle-that-is-to-be-used-by-the-Indian-forces

This makes it highly likely that INSAS and Ghatak share the same trigger group.

Thus if the trigger group is fixed by using a better phosphate coated spring, timing issue could be rectified for both rifles.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
M-16 A2s and Insas were inducted almost in same time line iirc.Previously they were armed with SLRs.Cant blame them for replacing Insas with trusted M-16A2s which is a reliabile and accurate weapon unlike the A1 version.
Nepal got at least 5000 M16A2 rifles aroud 2004 as part of a FMS deal with the US.

The number of weapons could not be confirmed but the source said the consignment could consist of about 500 M16A2 rifles, its ammunition and other military equipment. The delivery is a part of a bilateral deal hammered out between the then government of Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba and the US government in 2002. It is the third consignment of M16A2 rifles that the US has delivered to Nepal.

The US had delivered 3,000 similar rifles in January last year and again another few hundred were delivered later. As part of the deal, the US had agreed to provide 5,000 M16 rifles in military aid to fight the Maoists. “The newly delivered consignment is a regular military assistance the US is providing the RNA,” said Brigadier General Rajendra Bahadur Thapa, chief spokesperson of RNA. But he did not divulge details of the consignment. The army, which is currently engaged in controlling the Maoists, plans to fully equip its 78,000 strong forces with modern M16 rifles and Infantry Small Arms System (INSAS). The RNA already has more than 17,000 M16 rifles and 10,000 INSAS rifles.
https://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/us-delivers-500-m16a2-rifles-to-rna/

India had used red tape to hold shipments of the M16A2 rifles around 2002, quite possibly to get some orders for the INSAS rifle.

On December 26, New Delhi DAO was contacted by a representative from Air Transport International (ATI), a
freight company charged with delivery of 3,000 M16A2 rifles to Kathmandu, requesting urgent assistance in obtaining overflight approval for the transport plane. According to the ATI rep, their commercial agent failed to identify the plane’s cargo as weaponry in the initial permit application, resulting in refusal of the request. After direct intervention with the GOI by Embassy New Delhi, the shipment of arms, intended to replace the RNA’s outdated Indian Self-Loading Rifles, has been rescheduled for January 6, assuming that overflight clearance will be granted.
https://blog.com.np/2011/09/10/amer...ng-3000-american-m16a2-rifles-for-nepal-army/

Nepal also cleared the deal for new M16A4 rifles around 2019. The FMS bids for these were initiated around April 2020 as part of a multi order $383.3 million contract with FN America LLC and Colt’s Manufacturing Co. LLC as competitors.

///
Nepal clears legal hurdles to buy the rifles

Nepal wanted to buy M4, M-16 and A4 rifles for the Army since 2018. The Nepal rulebook, according to which the country was allowed to make payments only in three transactions- an advance once the deal is signed, intermediate as delivery begins and the final payment once all the consignment is delivered- prevented the rifles procurement.

“The legal hurdles have been cleared by the Cabinet in a decision made last month. Now the payment can be made as demanded by the US Army,” Babu Ram Gautam, spokesperson for the Defense Ministry, told The Kathmandu Post in June 2019.
https://www.defenseworld.net/news/2...Rifles_Order_for_Nepal__Afghanistan__3_Others

Any one getting Deja Vu chills? :devil:

Last edited:

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Off topic maybe.
Do all ammo magazine have same dimension?
I'm working on double magazine clip in CAD.

ManhattanProject

Country flag
Off topic maybe.
Do all ammo magazine have same dimension?
I'm working on double magazine clip in CAD.
what magazines? insas, ak?
insas magazines should have the same dimentions but ak mags are made by alot of manufacturers and might be diffrent in dimentions slightly. some steel mags might have thicker or thinner steel, different stampings. Same with polymer mags made by different manufacturers.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
what magazines? insas, ak?
insas magazines should have the same dimentions but ak mags are made by alot of manufacturers and might be diffrent in dimentions slightly. some steel mags might have thicker or thinner steel, different stampings. Same with polymer mags made by different manufacturers.
Rough paper drawing

I don't have my engineering drawing tools right now(Stuck in Lockdown) so this is the most I could make out

15902192496507589116825425729481.jpg

I want to make a universal clip that can stack both curved and straight magazine.

In the future SF will use straight magazine guns so if someone were to Make a clip that will work for both than it will he something worth noticing.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Rough paper drawing

I don't have my engineering drawing tools right now(Stuck in Lockdown) so this is the most I could make out

View attachment 48491

I want to make a universal clip that can stack both curved and straight magazine.

In the future SF will use straight magazine guns so if someone were to Make a clip that will work for both than it will he something worth noticing.
The two clips are often joined upside-down. Facing up, one will gather dirt on the rounds

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Rough paper drawing

View attachment 48491

Check this out as well! A concept gun called Thor A1 PDW.

http://pascaleggert.de/ThorA1.html

ManhattanProject

Country flag
Rough paper drawing

View attachment 48491

go to 17:42 you might get a lot of insight into clipping two magazines together.
what you are trying to make might be obsolete already, some tape and a piece of cardboard does the job just fine. Larry talks about those solid magazine couplers like you are trying to make and its disadvantages. Who knows might help you create one without those disadvantages he is talking about.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
the magazines would be too cumbersome and heavy to carry, the mechanism might be too complicated, the reload speed is going to be atrocious. Clearing malfunctions might be a problem.
It's the same working principle as the FN P90, using helical magazines.

Reload would be like a bullpup SMG.

Being a PDW it would actually be light weight and it's bullpup design would reduce recoil. Only thing I have a problem with would be the gas venting port which I would move to the sides as a selective ambidextrous feature.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles