INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

pmaitra

Your Idea is right but over all looks are similar to SIG-551/556
Yes, you are right, except the magazine. There are a whole range of whacky fore-grips and folding stocks that are commercially available (for civilian guns) than can be changed anytime. The same applies here. I think the SIG-551/556 here has a shorter 20 round magazine, but I am not sure.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Yes, you are right, except the magazine. The same applies here. I think the SIG-551/556 here has a shorter 20 round magazine, but I am not sure.
The fore-grip is originally Sig`s, Yes its a 22rnd mag ( 20rnd )..

bhramos

Country flag

is this Indian made AK???
this pic is from IDRW...

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
INSAS Rifle (an abbreviation of Indian Small Arms System) is a family of infantry arms comprising of an assault rifle, a light machine gun and a carbine.

It is manufactured by the Ordnance Factories Board (OFB) at Ordnance Factory Tiruchirappalli, Small Arms Factory Kanpur and Ishapore Rifle Factory.

The Insas Assault Rifle is the standard infantry weapon of the Indian Armed Forces.

Variants of INSAS Assualt Rifle

INSAS Standard rifle (5.56 mm) - issued to Indian Army & Paramilitary, with folding and fixed butt variants, fires semi-automatic and three round burst. An assault variant is also manufactured with full auto fire mode along with semi & three burst mode, used by Indian Army.

INSAS (Foldable Butt) (5.56 mm)- It resembles 5.56 mm Assault Rifle Fixed Butt in all other features except that the Fixed Butt is replaced with a foldable type of Butt to shorten the overall length and it does not include automatic mode of firing.It is most suitable for combat from ICV and in Para Troopers role.[5]

INSAS LMG 5.56 mm INSAS (folding and fixed butt variants) - An Indian version of Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW) Incorporated for suppressive and cover fire for troops. Barrel is designed for long and continued fire,It has auto fire mode with 30 round feed capacity along with Bipods. Meant to replace the old Bren LMG.

Kalantak Micro Assault Rifle 5.56mm

KALANTAK 5.56 mm micro assault rifle (under-going user trials), - Kalantak Micro Assault Rifle is a gas operated automatic, air cooled, folding butt Rifle for CQB & Personnel Defence Weapon Role. The weapon uses the same ammunition (5.56x45mm) as used in Rifle/ LMG, thus reducing the logistic problems in having different kinds of ammunition for different role of weapons. It's design and mechanism is simple and having the capability to accommodate the various modern optical sights like Red Dot Sight, Holographic, MARS etc., available internationally in the market. Due consideration has been given for Reliability, Ergonomics and Aesthetics in designing of the Weapon. The furniture items will be subjected to continual improvement from human engineering point of view.

Modern Sub Machine Carbine - A submachinegun in the INSAS family, which uses unique 5.56×30mm MINSAS ammunition designed specially for the gun. The magazine is in the pistol grip as in the Uzi. Passed two phases of trials by Army, third and final trial has been conducted in December 2009.

Link to the old thread

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/indian-army/12708-insas-indian-small-arms-system.html

INSAS Amogh Carbine 5.56X30mm

Carbine is under test and Probably running coz of Paramilitary Interest in it, Army is look for Carbine of 5.56mm, Amogh unlike its brother feature P-RAIL no OFB rail..

pmaitra

Absolutely without a doubt, You are looking at one of the AK-7 produced by OFB there are not many pics of AK-7.. :)

You wouldn't ask me this if you read my post which i posted twice, The picture taken long back ( 2005-6 ? may be )..

Also if you can find trade fair photo of OFB stall in Kolkata, You will find these same black AKM produced by OFB, They look exactly as Bulgarian once..
I second that. That looks just like the RFI made AK-clone I had seen at Trade Fair, around the same time. The one I had seen also had that exact waffle magazine. In all probability, that is OFB RFI made.

Saumyasupraik

Country flag
^ The Trichy seems to be based on the FAL/SLR if I am correct.It's like the IMBEL MD97 in concept only in 7.62x39.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Its based on AKM, No gas regulator..

Its barrel is longer and have Better iron sights..

Saumyasupraik

Country flag

Heavily influenced by the FAL no doubt.
Trichy has Receiver, Iron Sights and hand-guard which are quite the same as found on the FAL.Trichy also has a left side cocking handle and right side ejection port like the FAL.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The receiver is of AKM not fal rest is ok..

Its working must be of AKM to have same reliability as AKM..

Saumyasupraik

Country flag
The receiver is of AKM not fal rest is ok..

Its working must be of AKM to have same reliability as AKM..
What's even the point of this rifle.Better just modernise the AK's in Police and Paramil Service with bakelite/polymer furniture and foldings stocks/adjustable stocks and a rail mount as found in the trichy.I don't think so they need quad rails or something like that.Specilaised units within these Police and Paramil units can have the Quad Rail Pimped out AK's.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
What's even the point of this rifle.
If you have read the article on the Rifle, It use 7.62X39 M43 Soviet rounds and have ranges of 400ms ..

Generally M43 fired from AKM start dropping beyond 200ms, So how does this rifle archived so ?

The answer lies in its barrel length & pattern of grooves..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles