INS Vishal (IAC- II) Aircraft Carrier - Flattop or Ski Jump

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
Alert 5 reports that BAE systems has confirmed that the Queen Elizabeth-class aircraft carrier design has been offered to the #IndianNavy as the future INS Vishal, the design can be adapted for ski-jump or catapult launch.
Sorry.
Don't need this abomination.

Immanuel

Country flag
Sorry.
Don't need this abomination.
Well please explain why this is an abomination? If it comes for 5 billion and make in India with Indian mods (LR-SAM, QR-SAM) MFSTAR etc, I don't see why we have to break our heads for more than a decade to come up with our own. INS Vishal won't be ready for sea trials before 2032 and induction around 2035. With this we could shave off around 3-5 years of time. I would rather we order CSL to build another Vikrant class ship, order it now and we could have it by 2028.

This ship would also allow for easy usage of existing Mig-29s, LCA mk-2 etc readily

Chinmoy

Country flag
Wait what? Why would you install a Russian CMS on it when it is going to be using Barak?
Its not a Russian CMS. It has been designed with help of Russian consultancy. Point to note that the design is done by WESEE which is part of IN.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
Well please explain why this is an abomination? If it comes for 5 billion and make in India with Indian mods (LR-SAM, QR-SAM) MFSTAR etc, I don't see why we have to break our heads for more than a decade to come up with our own. INS Vishal won't be ready for sea trials before 2032 and induction around 2035. With this we could shave off around 3-5 years of time. I would rather we order CSL to build another Vikrant class ship, order it now and we could have it by 2028.

This ship would also allow for easy usage of existing Mig-29s, LCA mk-2 etc readily
I would also settle for an elongated version of INS VIKRANT(something like Charles de Gaulle carrier).
Given it can only operate 1 type of aircraft now that is f-35,that makes things complicated for us.On one hand we are purchasing s-400 and we want to purchase f-35B,that won't go down well with Washington.

HMS QE is a good ship that can take care of most British requirements but it doesn't fits our bill.It has a solid radar and propulsion system but 45000-50000 tonne VIKRANT makes far more sense.

Immanuel

Country flag
I would also settle for an elongated version of INS VIKRANT(something like Charles de Gaulle carrier).
Given it can only operate 1 type of aircraft now that is f-35,that makes things complicated for us.On one hand we are purchasing s-400 and we want to purchase f-35B,that won't go down well with Washington.

HMS QE is a good ship that can take care of most British requirements but it doesn't fits our bill.It has a solid radar and propulsion system but 45000-50000 tonne VIKRANT makes far more sense.
Well true that it only operates the F-35 now, but being a STOBAR, under make in India it would hardly have any issues certifying the N-LCA, Mig-29K, eventually Block 3 SH or Rafale.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
Well true that it only operates the F-35 now, but being a STOBAR, under make in India it would hardly have any issues certifying the N-LCA, Mig-29K, eventually Block 3 SH or Rafale.
Yeah but that will require some heavy modifications to the design like adding an angled deck,maybe 1 more elevator,and probably removal of 1 island.

A waste of opportunity for an elongated VIKRANT.
AN elongated VIKRANT is the best shot we have in next 8-10 years,IEP+EMALS plus RAFALE and maybe Even E-2 hawkeye.
That is the best AIRCRAFT CARRIER possible in small amount of money and in a shorter time frame while we put down money for VISHAL simultaneously.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Its not a Russian CMS. It has been designed with help of Russian consultancy. Point to note that the design is done by WESEE which is part of IN.
Who exactly is this Russian consultant? M/s MARS I have never heard of and can't find anything about it,

archie

Country flag
Yeah but that will require some heavy modifications to the design like adding an angled deck,maybe 1 more elevator,and probably removal of 1 island.

A waste of opportunity for an elongated VIKRANT.
AN elongated VIKRANT is the best shot we have in next 8-10 years,IEP+EMALS plus RAFALE and maybe Even E-2 hawkeye.
That is the best AIRCRAFT CARRIER possible in small amount of money and in a shorter time frame while we put down money for VISHAL simultaneously.

QE2 Was designed as a CVN/CV and later decided to be a jump Deck due to projected cost of maintenance ..this was the original Design

https://www.naval-technology.com/projects/cvf/

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02/06/defence_committee_carrier_badness/

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
Bdw imho.....india should go for a nuclear aircraft carrier......

If technology not available to us.....
Then we should go for a foreign partner......

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Bdw imho.....india should go for a nuclear aircraft carrier......

If technology not available to us.....
Then we should go for a foreign partner......
First get enough planes. I don't think we have enough even for Vikrant we are going to commission very soon.
Leave alone for a supercarrier with large deck.

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
First get enough planes. I don't think we have enough even for Vikrant we are going to commission very soon.
Bhai navy is going for 57 jets...

Hope this govt will clear.....that
Vikrant will take at least 3 year's before commission...we have 45 mig29(including in order)

IndianHawk

Country flag
Just the idea of it gives me goosebumps. Once we have a nuclear ship with unlimited bluewater range, it wont be just #PKMKB, it'll be more like #Sabki MKB.
Range is still limited by food and fuel for aircrafts etc. Charles de Gaul is nuclear powered yet Wikipedia says it can only take 45 days of food.

Same goes for jet fuel , you can only store so much. That is why American carriers are over 100k ton as storing more fuel/ ammo is necessary for longer endurance.

Even then you need global port support for a carrier to have global operational capacity.

We have no such need now. Expense of nuclear carrier and maintenance then more expense when disposing the nuclear reactor at the end doesn't justify our use case of dominating only Indian Ocean.

Sent from my C103 using Tapatalk

IndianHawk

Country flag
We have 45 mig29k 20 for each with 5 for spare training. ( I'm guessing)

Wikipedia says both Vikramaditya and Vikrant can carry 26 jet + more helicopter.
So 18-20 mig29 each is sufficient. Then navy lac mk2 is coming . Prototype is already building .it should come well before mwf. Hopefully by 2025-26. nlca mk2 and mig29k are enough for two carriers.

Nlca mk2 can carry as much payload as mig29k or older hornet . ( Super hornet can carry more).
With almost similar or even better range.

57 RFI is for third super carrier as well as a hedge against nlca mk2 delays.

But third carrier won't come before 2030 now even if sanctioned today. So no rush about naval fighter acquisition imo.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Bhai navy is going for 57 jets...

Hope this govt will clear.....that
Vikrant will take at least 3 year's before commission...we have 45 mig29(including in order)
Vikrant will be commissioned by 2021 as per naval chiefs statement.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles