INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

Ganesh2691

Launch of navy's indigenous aircraft carrier by 2013: Antony

Admitting delay in construction of the navy's indigenous aircraft carrier, the government today told the Rajya Sabha that the launch of the ship is now expected to take place next year.

In a written reply to the House, Defence Minister A K Antony said, "The complexity of the project and this being the first ship of its kind being built in India, has led to timelines being extended."

As per the phase-I, the first launch of the ship was envisaged in October, 2010, he said. "However, due to delays in receipt of steel plates and pre-launch equipment like diesel alternators and gearboxes, the launch of the ship is now expected in 2013," Antony said.

The contract for building the first indigenous aircraft carrier for the Indian Navy has been awarded to Cochin Shipyard Limited.

On scheduled delivery of the ship, he said, "Delivery of the ship is currently envisaged in 2018."

In reply to a question on funds for defence schemes, Antony told the House that for 2012-13 Rs 66,032.24 crore has been allocated for the purpose.

Launch of navy's indigenous aircraft carrier by 2013: Antony - Indian Express

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
No news, Media attention is towards Vikramaditya critics..

Snuggy321

Sorry guys, the pics were taken by my cousin sister and I dont think that she will be happy if I will post them here :(

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Sorry guys, the pics were taken by my cousin sister and I dont think that she will be happy if I will post them here :(
She could register as a member and post them herself.:thumb:

abingdonboy

Country flag
Eh, she'll be fine mate! Just post them, shell never find out, even if she does- what's the worst she could do?!!:laugh::laugh:

sasi

The Hindu : News / National : Antony wants indigenous aircraft carrier delivered soon
~
Cut up over long delay in theconstruction schedule of India's first indigenous aircraft carrier (IAC), being built in his home State of Kerala at the Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL), Defence MinisterA. K. Antony on Tuesday asked all the stakeholders to work together and make efforts for an early delivery of the warship.
~
Upset over frequent delays on one account or the other,Mr. Antony told a high-level review meeting in New Delhi that henceforth accountability would be fixedfor any furtherslippages in the ambitious national project. "We cannot go one hearing about excuses. Henceforth accountability will be fixed in case of slippagesin the construction of the warship which is a national project," he said.
~
Mr. Antony's observations came at a meeting held at theDefence Ministry to review theprogress of the construction of the IAC at Cochin Shipyard. The meetingwas attended by the Ministerof State in Defence Ministry Jitendra Singh, Navy Chief Admiral D.K. Joshi, Defence Secretary Shashikant Sharma and seniorofficials ofthe CSL.
~
The 40,000-tonne IAC was tobe inducted into the Navy by2014-15 but the delay will push back the proposed induction to 2018 as well as escalating the total cost of theproject.
~
The meeting noted that most of the teething problems of the project have been sorted out. The supply of two gear boxes of the warship has also been arranged, the meeting was informed.
~
Mr. Antony said an EmpoweredCommittee has been formed under the Defence Secretary which would constantly monitor the progress in the IAC. The Minister also asked the CSL to give a firm date of induction of the carrier at the earliest.
~
Sources in the ministry said that a proposal would be sentto the Finance Ministry and the Cabinet Committee onSecurity (CCS) for improving the flow of funds for the project launched in 2009. Mr.Antony had told Parliament inAugust that the complexity ofthe project and it being the first ship of its kind being built in India, has led to timelines being extended.
~
The IAC is to be christened INS Vikrant after the country's first aircraft carrier which was decommissioned in 1997. With the sole aircraft carrierINS Viraat being stationed in Kochi for a check and regular maintenance and delivery of INS Vikramaditya being delayed further by a year, Indian Navy's plans tohave two operational aircraftcarriers has taken a hit. India also has a 65,000-tonne IAC-II on the drawing board but the delay in IAC-I have derailed it.
_

hello_10

Tihar Jail
Banned
The Hindu : News / National : Antony wants indigenous aircraft carrier delivered soon
~
The 40,000-tonne IAC was tobe inducted into the Navy by2014-15 but the delay will push back the proposed induction to 2018 as well as escalating the total cost of theproject.
~
The IAC is to be christened INS Vikrant after the country's first aircraft carrier which was decommissioned in 1997. With the sole aircraft carrierINS Viraat being stationed in Kochi for a check and regular maintenance and delivery of INS Vikramaditya being delayed further by a year, Indian Navy's plans tohave two operational aircraftcarriers has taken a hit. India also has a 65,000-tonne IAC-II on the drawing board but the delay in IAC-I have derailed it.
_
Indian members have been making heavy noise on the delivery and cost of INS Vikramaditya, which was initially signed for around $800mil and was to be delivered by 2008, as per the contract signed, if i remember. and now it has final cost at $2.3billion and would come in operation by 2013, has already completed its flight tests of Mig29s....... but it will now be interesting to see how India itself ends up with their home made IAC-1 and 2. IAC-1 was itself to be made for $1.0billion and was to be delivered by 2012, but now I find its cost to be at least $2.5bil, if not more, and to be delivered by 2018, as above, if not more :p

=> in fact the big defence projects have history of high cost escalation and delays. for example of HMS Queen Elizabeth, which was also offered to India at one time. it was also proposed for hardly £950million for each in beginning and was to be delivered by 2012 in beginning, but it would now cost at least £3.5 billion (around $6.0 billion) each, and would now be delivered by 2020, as estimated right now. but with our experience, I may say that its cost would escalate to at least $10billions and would be delivered by at least 2020+, if not more. and with my knowledge in economics also, I would say that chances are hardly 50% that Britain would remain financially capable enough by 2020 to complete this project also :tsk:

While debate has focused on rising costs (up to £7 billion for two carriers (around $6.0bil each) and what aircraft should fly from the ships, construction work has been quietly continuing at six shipyards around the country

The plan remains, for now at least, for HMS Queen Elizabeth to be handed over to the Royal Navy in early 2017 and be fully operational by 2020, with sister ship HMS Prince Of Wales two years behind.

HMS Queen Elizabeth: It's taller than Nelson's Column and generates enough energy to power 5,500 homes - but does Britain really need a super-sized £3.5bn aircraft carrier? | Mail Online

and its aircraft to be delivered by 2023, if not more? better Britain is handling this shiit for its own Navy :wave:

Mr Hammond said delays to the F-35C Joint Strike Fighter programme, a multinational venture led by American company Lockheed Martin, meant they would have not been operational until 2023 - three years later than planned.

BBC News - Government in £100m U-turn over F35-B fighter planes

Last edited:

Defcon 1

Country flag
Indian aircraft carrier: More costly, already delayed

Cochin: The Defence Ministry will soon move the Union Cabinet for an additional Rs. 2000 crore to meet the cost overrun for completing the first phase of Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC) being constructed at the Cochin Shipyard - on India's western seaboard.

The IAC, which is likely to be named INS Vikrant - after India's first and now decommissioned aircraft carrier - is delayed by at least five years and is expected to be with the Indian Navy only after 2018 as against the scheduled date of delivery of 2014, Defence Minister AK Antony had earlier told Parliament. For the Indian Navy the delay and the cost overrun of the indigenously made aircraft carrier is almost a double whammy as the Russian built Aircraft Carrier Admiral Gorshkov, renamed as INS Vikramaditya, is also delayed.

Sources told NDTV that the first phase of the construction of the aircraft carrier, which in 2003 was budget to cost about Rs. 3200 crore, has escalated because of delays. In the first stage of the project the shipyard was expected to piece together some 18,000 tonnes of the hull, however, only 14,000 tonnes have been constructed. The ship is likely to be about 40,000 tonnes and is biggest ship that India has ever built. Till now only USA, Russia, the UK and France have produced such warships. China has re-fitted an old aircraft carrier purchased from Ukraine after the USSR broke up. The construction of the ship has been delayed due several reasons primarily because India was unable to procure special steel from Russia and also because gear boxes produced by a Gujarat-based firm in collaboration with the German partner had been found to be faulty.

Public sector giant, Steel Authority of India (SAIL) has come to rescue of the Indian Navy by producing the special quality steel. The first of the two remade gear boxes have reached Kochi a few days ago.

The total cost of the aircraft carrier alone - without its aircraft component - is likely to be between Rs. 14000-to Rs. 18000 crore.

Mr Antony who reviewed the progress of the construction of the ship today directed Defence Secretary Shashikant Sharma to constantly monitor the progress of the construction and formed empowered apex committee. Defence Minister Antony has asked Cochin ship yard to come with a "firm date of delivery". Sources said that Mr Antony has also told the shipyard that "we cannot go on hearing excuses. Everybody has to be accountable for the warship which is a national project and responsibilities in case of further slippages will have to be fixed."

The aircraft carrier is critical to India's ambition to emerge as a dominant player in the Indian Ocean region. Although India needs at least two, if not three, aircraft carriers, however, to ensure that it has at least one carrier available at all times, at present it is still pushing the 50 year old British made war horse INS Viraat. The warship has served the Navy for 25 years and should have been decommissioned in 2002. Naval experts say rarely do any Navy use ships which are 50 years old.

With the USA likely to reduce its presence in the Persian Gulf, the Indian Navy desperately needs major assets like Aircraft Carriers to maintain its presence and also shape the developments in the volatile gulf region. "It is because we're uncertain about when we are likely to get the next carrier we have been keeping INS Viraat in the best shape possible," a senior Naval officer told NDTV. INS Viraat which has gone through over a dozen major and minor refits is currently undergoing another refit is likely to be in the docks and out of action till March 2013.

Indian aircraft carrier: More costly, already delayed | NDTV.com

drkrn

Indian members have been making heavy noise on the delivery and cost of INS Vikramaditya, which was initially signed for around $800mil and was to be delivered by 2008, as per the contract signed, if i remember. and now it has final cost at $2.3billion and would come in operation by 2013, has already completed its flight tests of Mig29s....... but it will now be interesting to see how India itself ends up with their home made IAC-1 and 2. IAC-1 was itself to be made for $1.0billion and was to be delivered by 2012, but now I find its cost to be at least $2.5bil, if not more, and to be delivered by 2018, as above, if not more :p

=> in fact the big defence projects have history of high cost escalation and delays. for example of HMS Queen Elizabeth, which was also offered to India at one time. it was also proposed for hardly £950million for each in beginning and was to be delivered by 2012 in beginning, but it would now cost at least £3.5 billion (around $6.0 billion) each, and would now be delivered by 2020, as estimated right now. but with our experience, I may say that its cost would escalate to at least $10billions and would be delivered by at least 2020+, if not more. and with my knowledge in economics also, I would say that chances are hardly 50% that Britain would remain financially capable enough by 2020 to complete this project also :tsk:

and its aircraft to be delivered by 2023, if not more? better Britain is handling this shiit for its own Navy :wave:
india is not in a position to wait as our strength is decreasing every day
besides from rising costs the delay is irking indian defense ministry

Articles