INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Country flag
I am not sure but compare the Brazilian Sao Paulo's hull length with the pic, both should be of almost the same length.
Who said??

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
The length is a little more than Charles_De_Gaulle

JAISWAL

Italian radars for India's new aircraft carrier INS Vikrant

Italian radars for India’s new aircraft carrier INS Vikrant - Indian Defence
Sistemi Integrati has signed a contract with the Indian Cochin Shipyard Ltd for supply of radars for the new aircraft carrier of the Indian Navy.
SELEX Sistemi Integrati will deliver an air surveillance naval radar RAN 40L and an IFF radar which will equip the new Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC), INS Vikrant, under realization for the Indian Navy.
The RAN-40L is a 3D long range early warning radar with fully solid state active phased array antenna able to assure the detection of aircrafts up to 400 kilometers.
..................for full article please visit above link

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
After some research, I assume it a good radar of 400km range..

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
only 400KM / 248 Miles??? our mki's can scan longer range than this radar i think.

not enough...

no AESA radar??? :( need more details on this radar.

plugwater

only 400KM / 248 Miles??? our mki's can scan longer range than this radar i think.

not enough...

Read again!!

having both MF-STAR and this one in one ship does not make any sense!!

Should have gone for naval version of green pine.

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
Read again!!

having both MF-STAR and this one in one ship does not make any sense!!

Should have gone for naval version of green pine.
could anybody explain more? i do not have good knowledge with radar.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Maybe the ship construction is delayed for the possible option to use a catapult launch system instead of a Ski ramp to launch the F-35 C if purchased :heh: As their are lots of rumours about a possible Indo-US strategic partnership in the region.

my 0.002 Rs.

Nirvana

Maybe the ship construction is delayed for the possible option to use a catapult launch system instead of a Ski ramp to launch the F-35 C if purchased :heh: As their are lots of rumours about a possible Indo-US strategic partnership in the region.

my 0.002 Rs.
You talkin abt IAC-1 ?

bhramos

Country flag

my 0.002 Rs.
but we already ordered another 27 MiG-29K,
so may be F-35C could go to IAC2

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Country flag
IAC-1 is going to be a ski lift carrier only, the design has already been finalized and the tenders placed for the same, the question on the IAC-2 remains open however. As for the F-35 it's still a white elephant.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Country flag

not enough...

400KM seems to be the average range for carrier borne air search radars even the QE class carriers are slated to use the Bae systems S1850M radar with a range of 400km while the nimitz class uses the SPS-48E for 3D air search with a range of 410km and the AN/SPS49 for 2D air search with a range of 474 Km.
However all said and done we must not forget that For the USN and allied navies the Hawkeye serves as the first detection module, i believe that this role for the IN may be filled by Phalcon's flying in support of the carrier task force on our eastern and western seaboards.

Also i believe that the MF-star and RAN40L shall be used to complement each other in the same way as the two radars complement each other in the Nimitz class, also the presence of the MF STAR indicates that the IAC may have the Indo-Israeli MR-SAM as part of it's SAM package, also the MF-STAR is an integral component of the BARAK system as well which the IAC will most certainly have.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
400KM seems to be the average range for carrier borne air search radars even the QE class carriers are slated to use the Bae systems S1850M radar with a range of 400km while the nimitz class uses the SPS-48E for 3D air search with a range of 410km and the AN/SPS49 for 2D air search with a range of 474 Km.

However all said and done we must not forget that For the USN and allied navies the Hawkeye serves as the first detection module, i believe that this role for the IN may be filled by Phalcon's flying in support of the carrier task force on our eastern and western seaboards.

Also i believe that the MF-star and RAN40L shall be used to complement each other in the same way as the two radars complement each other in the Nimitz class, also the presence of the MF STAR indicates that the IAC may have the Indo-Israeli MR-SAM as part of it's SAM package, also the MF-STAR is an integral component of the BARAK system as well which the IAC will most certainly have.

Well elaboration..

One need to see the Power consumption and space occupied by the system..

Their will be other radars too, Beside surveillance radar..

Fire control radar will be MF STAR
Low level radar
Weather radar
Flight control radar and instruments
Many others..

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Kunal do you mean EL/M-2248 by MF-STAR because it will have to mate with a CIWS if any installed.

sayareakd

Country flag
we should work on our radar, in future we will need it, better work on Ship version of LRTR and AESA radar.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
IAC-1 is going to be a ski lift carrier only, the design has already been finalized and the tenders placed for the same, the question on the IAC-2 remains open however. As for the F-35 it's still a white elephant.
Actually I am doing a wild guess, as for the front section of the hull which is suppose to have the Ski ramp is specify not completed leaving option for a straight flight deck possible to use a catapult launch system.

noob101

why are you all so obsessed with F-35? :notsure:

F-35 is expensive unworthy toy.
Depends on the variant F35B if by some miracle is completed then it will be an excellent aircraft in limited use, a few of them can be based on the 4 LPD/LPH plus there is no other VTOL air craft out there. Even the F35C variant is good for strike missions, but other options are available Rafale is a proven model, If the IN wants to stick with stealth there has been some speculation as to the PAK FA/FGFA as being adopted for carrier ops.

Articles