INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
GoI brought P8i, with out any test, matter of fact, its still under development stage, even USN give ioc after GoI choose P8.
from, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_P-8_Poseidon-
''The P-8's first flight was on 25 April 2009'' & ''In January 2008, Boeing proposed the P-8I, a customized export variant of the P-8A, for the Indian Navy.[69] It features two major components not fitted on the P-8A, a Telephonics APS-143 OceanEye aft radar and a magnetic anomaly detector (MAD). On 4 January 2009, India's Ministry of Defence signed a US$2.1 billion agreement with Boeing.'' & ''On 4 March 2012, the first production P-8A was delivered to the USN''
Its very hard to find a decade old articles & GoI brought p8 as a goodwill for removing sanctions.
My mistake, P8i also an experimental purchase like vikky. Only difference is, one with issues & other don't.
P8I was part of negotiation for Indo-US nuclear deal.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Whilst I agree with you that the Mig 29K does have certain significant inherent issues, do share the source of IN airframes being Written-Off for broken spines?
The IN has kept pretty quiet on the issues with the 29Ks for good reason but if you follow this project you’ll connect the dots- first of all when the Vikky got to India there was all that talk of there being an issue with single engine flameouts which required the OEM to go to India to certify the plane for OEI profiles. Up to then they had been forced to keep the Vikky within distance of shore based diversion airfields.

The project is in deep trouble especially as there seems to be a variety of issues going on at the same time. I’m still wanting to know how the most recent loss happened- 2 engine aircraft don’t just crash on their own when in cruise or at the least shouldn’t be

this is from very early on:

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
This likely won’t actually address the issue. From what is known the issues with the 29Ks are baked into the fundamental design of the machine. Aside from the known crashes a lot of 29Ks have been written off with broken spines. The TEDBF by the IN’s own admission is a replacement for the 29K not a supplement

the IN bought a half baked product unseen and untested and are now saddled with it until a clean sheet design comes around. This saga is of epic incompetence and will cost the taxpayer billions and lose the navy decades
One of the frequent problems seems to be FCS settings which gets set back to default almost after every landing. Russians were not sure why. Not sure if it has been resolved. And frequent engine issues plus not enough power from its engines.

Regarding the spine, I am not sure.

Chinmoy

Country flag
That’s not how it works. You don’t just throw as many birds as you have on deployment.

there will always be training requirements. You’ll always have planes u/s, you’ll want war/crash reserves.

and if you have 2 squadrons worth of MiG-29Ks worth of fighters on paper that doesn’t mean 2 squadrons worth of fighters are available.

Before a carrier deployment there is a training regime, after a deployment there has to be a in-depth maintenance work up on the birds. So if you have 2 carriers at sea how can you deploy 2 fighter squadrons routinely? You can’t.

2-3squadrons are the minimum to support 1 carrier, with 2 you are playing a dangerous game and things will break
wtf-you-h9yq36.jpg

SilentlAssassin265

Country flag
The problem is that we don't have an aircraft type to go with these carriers. Before GoI opens her checkbook, IN needs to answer the question of which aircraft type would be most compatible with the carriers.
Only mig29k and lca navy are operational

Blademaster

Only mig29k and lca navy are operational
And the IN don't want them. So before IN gets additional carriers, IN needs to declare the type of aircraft they want and make sure that the proposed carriers are capable of hosting them. Otherwise the carrier project is a giant boondoggle and waste of money and resources.

SilentlAssassin265

Country flag
And the IN don't want them. So before IN gets additional carriers, IN needs to declare the type of aircraft they want and make sure that the proposed carriers are capable of hosting them. Otherwise the carrier project is a giant boondoggle and waste of money and resources.
Why IAF doesn't want lca if it's due to low payload then why did they operate harrier for decades

abingdonboy

Country flag
1+…..1+………….1 maybe down the road after we have talked about it whilst every day CSL’s manpower is reskilled and the IAC-1’s ecosystem falls away. Do they think these things are say around waiting 10 years for them to make their minds up?

what ret@rds these people are

China could not ask for a more inept adversary. Imagine if Koreans had the access to human capital, geographic position and economy of India. They’d actually be making the Chinese sweat

Abdus Salem killed

One more IAC 1 INS VIKRANT CLASS Carrier coming soon.... 😊
Finally Good Sense prevailed instead of running after Paper Boat Indian Navy decided to go with the Real one in hand... 🤗😌
Just make a non nuclear power one but a bit larger these guys should put such an order with largermore indegenous components

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles