INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

scatterStorm

Country flag
We need to be able to conduct assualt operations on all islands in Indian Ocean.
I think IN is far better has the ability to see future conflicts, because I see there management of tax payer's money putting to some good use. I haven't seen seminar recently but our attack doctrine is very much shifted towards offensive defensive rather than defensive.

If the Chinese were to take the Myanmar or Bangladesh as there vessel states, like Srilanka is, I hope they have a plan to obliterate there coastal cities to smithereens.

Last edited:

abingdonboy

Country flag
Anything greater than 5 is alarming. For the time being the 7th fleet and now its rumored that Aussies too want a AC or a HC will keep them in check.
Aussies are putting a lot of money into SSNs, they can’t afford carriers too. They’ll likely do what Japan does and put some F-35s on LHD

India, China and the US will be the only permanently deployed carrier forces in the indo-Pacific for the next 50 years

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
I agree but IN/MoD has taken very very few steps to make it a reality. Just buying LHD doesn’t make you capable of it, india has no combined arms amphibious assault force (the army’s amphibious brigade doesn’t count, they are hilariously out of date)
Originally, XXI Strike Corps should have become our Expeditionary Force. But with I Strike Corps being shifted to China front, that is off the table now. I don't see our dedicated amphibious warfare forces rising beyond the current 2 brigades.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Originally, XXI Strike Corps should have become our Expeditionary Force. But with I Strike Corps being shifted to China front, that is off the table now. I don't see our dedicated amphibious warfare forces rising beyond the current 2 brigades.
India is the only large nation I can think of that doesn’t have a dedicated marine infantry force with its navy. This has to be fixed first before they pour billions into massive LHD that will be white elephants if they don’t have marines

IndianHawk

Country flag
Ultimately we can't win numbers game against China anytime soon. That will beggar the budget.

What we need is asymmetric capabilities against chinese numbers.
Carrier kill chain with dedicated carrier killer missiles.
Hypersonic missiles.
More nukes and more ICBM cause that's what really makes chinkies behave.
And more importantly even if can't build carriers fats we should be building more and more submarines both ssk and SSN.
Indian Ocean should become a death trap with dozens of Indian submarines prowling every corner of it.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Ultimately we can't win numbers game against China anytime soon. That will beggar the budget.

What we need is asymmetric capabilities against chinese numbers.
Carrier kill chain with dedicated carrier killer missiles.
Hypersonic missiles.
More nukes and more ICBM cause that's what really makes chinkies behave.
And more importantly even if can't build carriers fats we should be building more and more submarines both ssk and SSN.
Indian Ocean should become a death trap with dozens of Indian submarines prowling every corner of it.
Did China think like this to build up their force to March USN?

many are calling the game lost for india before it has even attempted to play

IndianHawk

Country flag
India is the only large nation I can think of that doesn’t have a dedicated marine infantry force with its navy. This has to be fixed first before they pour billions into massive LHD that will be white elephants if they don’t have marines
They'll get marines too if they go for LHD.
LHD have another advantage if needed we can too convert them into carriers with f35 in future if chinese have too many carriers around us.

IndianHawk

Country flag

Good question.
Chinese didn't attempt to match usa without first expanding their economy massively.

They didn't even had a single carrier untill their economy reached 8 trillion mark in 2012. They were not saying look usa at 11 massive carriers and we are doomed so let's tripple our budget!!
but they were realising that they can't match usa untill their economy surpassed usa. So in meantime they build asymmetric capabilities they build lots of coastal ships , build supersonic weapons , build lots of ssk and improved their nuke posture , came up with carrier killer concept ( no matter how elementary).

And now as there economy is 20 trillion usd they are building bigger and building at scale to match usa in next 20-30 years.

I guess we should take a page out of Chinese book and go for asymmetric response while our economy reached 10-12 trillion dollars by 2035. And then we can catch up faster with grand design and father execution.

Till then as Deng xiaoping said bide your time.

binayak95

Country flag
Good question.
Chinese didn't attempt to match usa without first expanding their economy massively.

They didn't even had a single carrier untill their economy reached 8 trillion mark in 2012. They were not saying look usa at 11 massive carriers and we are doomed so let's tripple our budget!!
but they were realising that they can't match usa untill their economy surpassed usa. So in meantime they build asymmetric capabilities they build lots of coastal ships , build supersonic weapons , build lots of ssk and improved their nuke posture , came up with carrier killer concept ( no matter how elementary).

And now as there economy is 20 trillion usd they are building bigger and building at scale to match usa in next 20-30 years.

I guess we should take a page out of Chinese book and go for asymmetric response while our economy reached 10-12 trillion dollars by 2035. And then we can catch up faster with grand design and father execution.

Till then as Deng xiaoping said bide your time.
And even PLAN is in for a massive surprise in a few years time. They are gonna face massive shortfall of experienced crew (already are tbh) and on top of that will have a large portion of the fleet be due for repair/overhaul all at the same time.

IndianHawk

Country flag
And even PLAN is in for a massive surprise in a few years time. They are gonna face massive shortfall of experienced crew (already are tbh) and on top of that will have a large portion of the fleet be due for repair/overhaul all at the same time.
Like everything else chinese may be overbuilding their navy . They may have to re evaluate soon what kind of naval force they truly want . If they want to be global navy their hundred around Corvettes will suck too much manpower .

scatterStorm

Country flag

Strategically, I am no diplomat but what I think what IOR might end up is USN and the global world order creating these Policing Naval States, with no one country to rule them all, rather than a multi-polar world.

NutCracker

Country flag
Like everything else chinese may be overbuilding their navy . They may have to re evaluate soon what kind of naval force they truly want . If they want to be global navy their hundred around Corvettes will suck too much manpower .
Watch from 31:58

After decline in Real estate and HSR , they are trying hands in defence manufacturing. Sole reason to just build build build.

Akula

Country flag
I’m glad opposition aren’t all ret@rds and are actually starting to fork coherent arguments and advocating for MORE hardpower. Indian psyche has been too infected by pacifism, because it’s easy and cheap.

He is trying to say that, 4 aircraft carriers are allowed but we have only 2. That's why we need 2 more.

Hari Sud

Country flag
There is a huge negative discussion on the size of the lift in INS Vikrant. It is said that it will not fit Rafale (naval) at all and barely fit the F-18 (naval) with no room to spare. It is also said that at the time of Vikrant design only MIG-29K (naval) version was considered. The last of the Twin Engine LCA (naval) will not be ready for flight test for another two to three years. It will be ready in numbers to be deployed in 5 years.

Hence, there is an issue that ….. will INS Vikrant operate with MIG-29K or request US to consider supply of F-35 vertical take off fighter? Their F-18 can operate from Vikrant but cannot be serviced because the lift will barely fit it and most of the time damage the wings or other parts during movement of the plane up and down.

A good point to discuss in the forum. Next 3 to 5 years, the carrier may become a toothless carrier with no offensive capability. There is not much the Indian Navy can do to speed up the naval version on LCA. It is a time consuming development.

skunk works

Country flag
These BHPians believe no car should be launched in India without Turbo Engines with full DCT gearbox. With full confidence they said turbo engines will top the sales.
I had clowns like that in college. One drove a Polo and looked down on a Honda Accord saying 'uh it's just a Japanese cat, not EURO like mine'

Many such cases in US too. 'Yeah it's a shitty, unreliable dodge truck but atleast it's not a Toyota',, like WTF?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles