INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
I don`t think it has, Please share details ..
From the website of Indian navy.

An extensive revamp of sensors including fitment of Long range Air Surveillance Radars, Advanced Electronic Warfare Suite makes the ship capable of maintaining a surveillance bubble of over 500 kms around the ship.

https://www.indiannavy.nic.in/content/about-ins-vikramaditya-newest-largest-ship-indian-navy

When it was bought to India, Indian navy pilots were unable to detect the ship until it became visible from naked eye. This is the power of ultra powerful EW suite of Vicky. There are many more references if you try to search on net.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I don`t find any reference to any system in particular, The EWS is there and their is also ECM and their is also ECCM ..

Besides, My original quote was about Missiles defense and CIWS not EW, That rust bucket is still not as much defended as its meant to be, I still do not notice AK-630 on it ..

From the website of Indian navy.

An extensive revamp of sensors including fitment of Long range Air Surveillance Radars, Advanced Electronic Warfare Suite makes the ship capable of maintaining a surveillance bubble of over 500 kms around the ship.

https://www.indiannavy.nic.in/content/about-ins-vikramaditya-newest-largest-ship-indian-navy

When it was bought to India, Indian navy pilots were unable to detect the ship until it became visible from naked eye. This is the power of ultra powerful EW suite of Vicky. There are many more references if you try to search on net.

aditya g

Country flag
Can QRSAM replace barak 1? I have tried to initiate the discussion on some forum but there is no answer.
Honestly I have not studied the QRSAM system at all. For starters is it a naval system or land system?

Arihant

http://www.navyrecognition.com/inde...lly-fitted-with-defensive-weapon-systems.html

The newly fitted systems include Israeli made (Rafael) Barak-1 surface-to-air missile systems (in Vertical Launch Systems) and four 30mm six-barrel AK-630 CIWS guns. The systems were taken off decommissioned Project 16 Godavari class Frigates.

I saw pics of installed CIWS system last year. Somewhere on the internet. I forgot on which forum i saw those pics.

Immanuel

Country flag
Security personnel standing near the MiG-29 K aircraft of the navy which caught fire after it skidded off the runway in Goa’s Dabolim International Airport on Wednesday. (PTI)

Sad, was in Goa till Friday last week, even saw over a dozen of these parked out. A couple buzzed by the holiday home we have there. Hopefully it can be fixed asap.

Immanuel

Country flag
CdG could do it, the Rafale F3R is superior to the Hornet.
F3R is virtually similar to the SH, there are no significant combat advantages that either brings over the other, in the end it comes to pilot skills. Second any US Carrier carries many many more aircraft which is still something that is hard for CdG to overcome.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

An Indian Naval jet aircraft Mig 29k steered off the Dabolim Airport airstrip and went up into flames on Wednesday afternoon. The pilot of the aircraft ejected safely before the Mig 29k could catch fire. The emergency services of the Indian Navy at INS Hansa doused the flames of the aircraft. Flag Officer Naval Aviation and Flag Officer Goa Area, Rear Admiral Puneet Kumar Bahl informed that the aircraft was on its takeoff when the mishap occurred. He said that the cause of the accident would be ascertained only after a detailed internal inquiry by the Indian Navy. The incident led to several hours delay of for civilian aircrafts including the long delay for the FC Goa team's departure to Kolkata to play against ATK.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
I don`t find any reference to any system in particular, The EWS is there and their is also ECM and their is also ECCM ..

Besides, My original quote was about Missiles defense and CIWS not EW, That rust bucket is still not as much defended as its meant to be, I still do not notice AK-630 on it ..
I had said about EW only for which I have provided the reference.

Sancho

Honestly I have not studied the QRSAM system at all. For starters is it a naval system or land system?
It's a land system, similar to Spyder SAM. The navy wanted the Maitri SAM development, based on MICA VL, but QRSAM might end up to be a naval conversion too. As with anything that is related to DRDO, wait and see what comes out at the end.

Sancho

F3R is virtually similar to the SH, there are no significant combat advantages that either brings over the other
That's not true, Rafale has the vastly superior EWS with far more sensors and jamming capability than any of the US teen series, which is why export customers tend to upgrade F16s or F15s with Israeli stuff if possible. The manuverability is also a clear advantage, by design, the higher TWR or the lower wingloading. Add the A2A weaponry, that gives a clear edge of European missiles over US once and you know that the F18 doesn't stand a chance in a 1 on 1 comprison.

However, with the latest Block 3 upgrade, the F18 adds at least some fields where it has advantages (cockpit, CFTs, maybe AESA depending on the upgrades) and it still comes clearly cheaper, with a flyaway cost advantage of around 20 million, besides the fact that it's more suitable to Indian carriers in size as well.

Immanuel

Country flag
That's not true, Rafale has the vastly superior EWS with far more sensors and jamming capability than any of the US teen series, which is why export customers tend to upgrade F16s or F15s with Israeli stuff if possible. The manuverability is also a clear advantage, by design, the higher TWR or the lower wingloading. Add the A2A weaponry, that gives a clear edge of European missiles over US once and you know that the F18 doesn't stand a chance in a 1 on 1 comprison.

However, with the latest Block 3 upgrade, the F18 adds at least some fields where it has advantages (cockpit, CFTs, maybe AESA depending on the upgrades) and it still comes clearly cheaper, with a flyaway cost advantage of around 20 million, besides the fact that it's more suitable to Indian carriers in size as well.
Sorry buddy, Growlers or vanialla Block 2 SHs aren't easy to fuck with on any day, regardless of what clever jamming Rafale brings to the table. Moreso, years of operating the SH at high tempo means highly capable pilots with countless hours in experience with cleverly honed tactics. Good luck going up against that even in a Raptor. Who cares about maneuverability when you have 2 SHs for a single Rafale in any US carrier VS CdG battle. Also SH has vastly superior arsenal choice, longer detection ranges for it's existing AESA. As for Meteor, very few units actually have it while the SH can deploy the Aim-120D roughly the same extended range as the Meteor. Heck even now some Rafales fly around without a Helmet mouted cueing system. The Block SH is a formidable 4.5 gen aircraft and so is the Rafale, which is better in real combat comes down to pilot skills, each has it's strengths and weaknesses.

Block 3 SH offers better pounding per dollar capabilities than the Rafale and is a better fit for IN indeed.

I have no issues with Rafale order being increased from 36 to 90 for IAF i.e a sqd for each air command.

Sancho

Sorry buddy, Growlers or vanialla Block 2 SHs aren't easy to fuck with on any day,
That's a claim, but I showed credible reasons why Rafale or most European fighters today are superior to US teen series. The F18 simply can't keep up on flight performance, weapons (Meteors advantage is speed, not range) and advanced EWS. To bring the F18 to the same level, Boeing offers the road map upgrades (EPE engine, IR MAWS, LWR, integrated IRST...), but without them, it falls clearly short in comparison.
It still is a good carrier fighter, but just not up to the mark of the Rafale.

Immanuel

Country flag
That's a claim, but I showed credible reasons why Rafale or most European fighters today are superior to US teen series. The F18 simply can't keep up on flight performance, weapons (Meteors advantage is speed, not range) and advanced EWS. To bring the F18 to the same level, Boeing offers the road map upgrades (EPE engine, IR MAWS, LWR, integrated IRST...), but without them, it falls clearly short in comparison.
It still is a good carrier fighter, but just not up to the mark of the Rafale.
Not true, F-18's existing AESA is perhaps one of the best operational combat proven AESA's in the world and has a good range advantage over te RBE2. Flight performance of SH is fine, sure Rafale does turn and climb tighter but it will first have to outrun the Aim-120D which will be shot at it first. Meteor's advantage is speed but Aim-120D is no slack either, specially when a pure A2A SH carries 12 of these missiles. Growler has tremedous EA capability remember. Falling short won't be happening, SH remains the only fighter to get a simulated Aim-120 kill on the Raptor keep that in mind as well. Block 3 SH will per dollar value outclass the Rafale. Currently, the SH's IRST pod is carried externally on a fuel pod. The SH also carries towed decoys as well. I repeat, in no way does being in the Rafale assure victory when faced with another 4.5 gen aircraft be it SH, EF, MKI, Mig-35 or even a humble souped up F-16 or F-15. I happen to believe SH is better value for the money that's all i.e it offer much of the same multirole capability as the Rafale for a much more reasonable price; all aircraft in this category can be formidable in the hands of a good pilot and 1 vs 1 is anybody's game.

Kalki_2018

Country flag
Unlike Akash QR-SAM is canisterized so it can be adopted for naval role. I have yet to seen the estimate of its size and mass.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles