INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

Decklander

29.2 kts is good speed considering the bottom has been scratched new and painted. For an AC Carrier speed of 20kts is considered very good as we normally plan all our launches at that wind on deck. So with zero wind, the carrier will be able to generate a wind on deck of 20kts by its own speed.

lookieloo

The GOI controlled media called it 32knots. I know that for a ship of this size and non-nuke propulsion, 32 kts is too high a speed.
USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Speed: 33 kts :rolleyes: Admittedly, it's not the same size as Viky... it's bigger. I'm not saying the Viky did or didn't go that fast (I wasn't there), but you really need to stop making categorical statements about ships in general without bothering to check first.

Decklander

USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Speed: 33 kts :rolleyes: Admittedly, it's not the same size as Viky... it's bigger. I'm not saying the Viky did or didn't go that fast (I wasn't there), but you really need to stop making categorical statements about ships in general without bothering to check first.
I request you to pls check the top speeds for latest UK ac carriers? Gorshkov is an old ship which has got tons of additional equipment on it making it heavier than original while the propulsion has remained same.

lookieloo

I request you to pls check the top speeds for latest UK ac carriers? Gorshkov is an old ship which has got tons of additional equipment on it making it heavier than original while the propulsion has remained same.
Who the hell said anything about the QE-class? Again, this is what you said.
I know that for a ship of this size and non-nuke propulsion, 32 kts is too high a speed.
You did not qualify that statement in the least, and the fact remains that many non-nuclear ships of that size (or even bigger) have gone 32 kts or faster. You were wrong... get over yourself. If you want to say the Viky didn't really go that speed because it gained weight, that's fine; but don't make up dumb-shit about how fast ships of a given size can sail.

Also, it's worth noting that the Kiev-class was specifically designed to chase US carrier-battlegroups, so a 32 kt flank-speed wouldn't surprise me, even with the extra weight.

Adux

Country flag
Who the hell said anything about the QE-class? Again, this is what you said. You did not qualify that statement in the least, and the fact remains that many non-nuclear ships of that size (or even bigger) have gone 32 kts or faster. You were wrong... get over yourself. If you want to say the Viky didn't really go that speed because it gained weight, that's fine; but don't make up dumb-shit about how fast ships of a given size can sail.

Also, it's worth noting that the Kiev-class was specifically designed to chase US carrier-battlegroups, so a 32 kt flank-speed wouldn't surprise me, even with the extra weight.
There is a lot of weight dispensed from it also, newer lighter equipment, unnecessary wirings, and ofcourse those missles. The empty weight of the ship still stands at 45,000 tons. So any increase in weight is marginal. You are right. 32 Knots for that ship is quite normal and nothing great.

mahesh

Country flag
so now the enemy countries will count viky's maximum speed might be any where between 29 to 33, will it hamper the strategy ?

lookieloo

so now the enemy countries will count viky's maximum speed might be any where between 29 to 33, will it hamper the strategy ?
Maybe... Official top speed of Nimitz-class is "30 kts+." Someone tell me how fast vvv this vvv looks (sorry about the dumb track).

You can actually see the acceleration. :cool2:

Last edited by a moderator:

Decklander

why people fighting on silly issues that too with defence professionals,we have lot to discuss rather than cat fight
As a prelude to reguler Malabar excercises with USN, my ship did a small excercise with USN in BOB in 1990. We were on their starboard bow and than we were asked to take RAS station. Replishment at sea station. My CO was a hot rod. He took over the Con himself and being his oow, I was reduced to taking orders from him. He ordered a series of instructions-Stop steam Gens, Start DAs, revolutions 220 on both, hard starboard, OOW give me distance from ship. AND he did a 360* turn without letting the bearing of US ship go ahead. We got into station of 120 feet with US ship without overshooting or undershooting him. The US CO was so impressed that he stated-In his entire life he had not seen such control of a manouever of a ship which he saw that day.
I narrated this to highlight the fact that we Indians are capable of much better things and we shud not let our energies be sapped in for stupid causes.

binayak95

Country flag
As a prelude to reguler Malabar excercises with USN, my ship did a small excercise with USN in BOB in 1990. We were on their starboard bow and than we were asked to take RAS station. Replishment at sea station. My CO was a hot rod. He took over the Con himself and being his oow, I was reduced to taking orders from him. He ordered a series of instructions-Stop steam Gens, Start DAs, revolutions 220 on both, hard starboard, OOW give me distance from ship. AND he did a 360* turn without letting the bearing of US ship go ahead. We got into station of 120 feet with US ship without overshooting or undershooting him. The US CO was so impressed that he stated-In his entire life he had not seen such control of a manouever of a ship which he saw that day.
I narrated this to highlight the fact that we Indians are capable of much better things and we shud not let our energies be sapped in for stupid causes.
Which ship was it?1990s, so must be a Rajput class, right?

Adux

Country flag
As usual Indians are happy with a pat on the back from a whiteman for a manoeuvre drill. War fighting for the Americans is a completely different thing. Their resources, their focus, their commitment and technology enable them to do so. I believe the PA is a much more efficient and pragmatic force than IA in many respects. Look at how the Chinese are trying to learn from the AMericans .We are archiac and is not ready to change, just like our educational institutions. Change is not something we like

Also as far as I know there was NO Indo-US Naval Drill in 1990 because of the Indian involvement in Sri Lanka as well as the Cold War. India did not start Naval as well as other armed forces wing training with US until 1992, then getting serious from 1995, then loosing track again after Pokhran 2. I wonder where people pull these out off from?

Last edited:

Adux

Country flag
Coming back to Vikramditya, I for one, think it is going to be India's worst investment yet. It is a compromised carrier, which is too late. IAC and Scorpene will obsolete by the time they are comissioned.

Adux

Country flag
What is a Naval aviator commanding a Frigate when there were two Indian Aircraft carrier's available in 1990

Adux

Country flag
I was a Lt then and doing my sea time on that ship and not CO of the ship.
Naval Aviators do sea time in aircraft carriers, especially in 1990 when both Vikrant and Viraat was out at sea, also there was NO Military Cooperation let alone Naval with the USA till 1992. Sorry, your story doesnt float.