INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

lookieloo

I am sure that both Super Hornet and Rafale can land and take off from the Vikramditya. (and be stored in the hanger)
Have you seen how tiny the aircraft-lift is? The Rafale-M doesn't have folding wings and the SH is somewhat larger than the Mig-29K. So what makes you so sure?

I haven't been able to find the elevator's exact dimensions (only one is able to handle fighter-jet levels of weight), but it appears just barely large enough to fit a single, folded-up MIG. I keep bringing this issue up whenever there's speculation about Rafale/Superhornet/F-35B/C operations off this ship........... only to be met with silence each time.

SilentKiller

Country flag
Have you seen how tiny the aircraft-lift is? The Rafale-M doesn't have folding wings and the SH is somewhat larger than the Mig-29K. So what makes you so sure?

I haven't been able to find the elevator's exact dimensions (only one is able to handle fighter-jet levels of weight), but it appears just barely large enough to fit a single, folded-up MIG. I keep bringing this issue up whenever there's speculation about Rafale/Superhornet/F-35B/C operations off this ship........... only to be met with silence each time.
Hope LCA - naval could fit in....

SilentKiller

Country flag
so can someone help us in getting the dimensions of lift?
i searched but couldn't find it

nirranj

Country flag
Not just land, But can also takeoff so does refuel and rearm, the only thing it cannot do is get into the hangers..
can mig 29 carry brahmos missiles?? if not will navy think to operate some heavy fighters onboard the IAC)#1??

will dhruv be the carrier on-board delivery aircraft for vikramaditya?? or do/did we have a concept of carrier on-board delivery on Viraat and Ex INS Vikrant??

lookieloo

Why does the deck appear to be not covered as seen on the RAMP, i clearly remember the Chinese carrier's deck was the same Stern to Bow not like in Vicky it appers to be more like rusted..
Cut the poor girl some slack. She just spent another winter in Siberia under Russian standards of maintenance. Rest assured the IN will take much better care of her.

Just Me

Last edited:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Tejas are also destined for Vikramaditya air-wing, They will be in hangers..

Hope LCA - naval could fit in....
=====================

There is new version of brahmos in making specially for MIG-29K and MRCA fighters..

can mig 29 carry brahmos missiles?? if not will navy think to operate some heavy fighters onboard the IAC)#1??

will dhruv be the carrier on-board delivery aircraft for vikramaditya?? or do/did we have a concept of carrier on-board delivery on Viraat and Ex INS Vikrant??

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

2 X fuel tanks
2 x kh-35
2 x R-73

=====================

Over INS virrat and inside its hangers, Operational Dhruvs..

No to both. Without catapults you aren't going to be carrying more than A2A missiles. Dhruv is not naval certified.

nirranj

Country flag
=Kunal Biswas;

Over INS virrat and inside its hangers, Operational Dhruvs..

Thanks..
But, I read in internet (in India strategic - a article published on Aug-2012) that Navy isn't interested in buying the Dhruvs as it is not satisfied with Dhruv's performance..

The eight para in the Article reads as below.

"Significantly, the Navy had found the HAL-made Dhruv unsuitable because of excessive vibrations in the rotors as also their large size. The air draft generated by a flying machine and its stability are crucial for landing and takeoffs from moving ships, some of which sail at around 30 knots."

I couldn't post the link as A error message comes up "You are not allowed to post links"

lookieloo

That piece isn't being entirely fair. USD 2.33 bil is hardly staggering by carrier standards, even if it is more than 2X what the Russians first promised; so I wouldn't necessarily say that India has been jipped on the price, though the delays were unfortunate. As for Mig-29K operations, the IN has possessed the fully operational planes for some time already, with more than enough time for training; so there's little reason to expect much difficulty in bringing operational capability online. In any case, it's not as if you had other options; the international picture was a lot different back when India went carrier shopping.

nirranj

Country flag
daily.bhaskar : After much delay the delivery of India's aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya has been finally scheduled for autumn this year. The former Russian-made Admiral Gorshkov is currently undergoing sea trials in north of Russia in the Barents Sea. INS Vikramaditya posses a series of challenges in front of Indian defence forces even when it is inducted after incurring a staggering cost of USD 2.33 billion and ten years of waiting time.

I am not sure how our media guys are just brushing aside this significant milestone in Indian naval history...

This poses some challanges with the flight deck operations but this carrier is unique and doesn't has any similarities with the two carriers mentioned (the Lioaning of PRC and Kuznetsov of Russia) and how does Russian experience with Kuznetsov will help us were our experience with the Viraat and Ski jump facility in INS Hansa isn't helping??

Also this will act as a training platform for our navy which aspires to fly heavier aircraft in future planned STOBAR carrier... MIG 29's are bigger and more capable than the harriers currently we have and are the back bone of our naval aviation in the near future... this carrier will give us the valuable lessons and a 20 year service life with the current refit...

Our media needs to employ somebody who have experience in defense related topics or even somebody who has the knowledge to google and understand things...

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles