INS Jalashwa to evacuate Indians

Neil

Country flag
New Delhi has decided to press INS Jalashwa into service to evacuate Indians from Libya. Three more ships will also be used to ferry Indians from Tripoli and Benghazi to Alexandria in Egypt.

The INS Jalashwa is the third-largest warship of the Indian Navy, behind INS Viraat aircraft carrier and the newly inducted INS Deepak tanker, and is basically an amphibious assault platform designed to transport and land troops in enemy territory. It is lightly armed and has six medium lift helicopters.

Able to accommodate 1,500 people, the INS Jalashwa will be accompanied by two destroyers, which can ferry 200 people each. These are also being kept on standby for deployment to Libya, if the need arises, according to sources.

Designed to double up as a hospital ship, the INS Jalashwa has extensive medical facilitates, including four operation theatres, a 12-bed ward and a dental centre. Sources said the naval ship was on standby, and would proceed, as soon as the official formalities were completed.

The Ministry of External Affairs on Thursday said in view of the "sharp and unprecedented deterioration" in the situation inside Libya, the government had decided to immediately commence evacuation operations.

The government has chartered a passenger ferry with a capacity to seat 1,200 persons for this purpose. "Scotia Prince is expected to reach Benghazi by February 27 and bring back at least 1,200 persons to Alexandria (Egypt) by March 1," the statement said.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/ins-jalashwa-to-evacuate-indians/754505/

Neil

Country flag
well this news means INS JALASHWA will not participate in TROPEX for sure....

can any body tell me if any other ship is being pulled out of ex for this reason....??

sandeepdg

Other than the INS Jalashwa, two Delhi class destroyers will be accompanying it for evacuation duties to Libya.

Neil

Country flag
Other than the INS Jalashwa, two Delhi class destroyers will be accompanying it for evacuation duties to Libya.
thankx a ton bro....so guess TROPEX will miss it star players.....

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Jalashwa is the ideal craft to be used for evac under possible opposed evacuation and hence the destroyers too to cater for such an eventuality.

The evac of citizens from such chaos is a priority compared to an exercise.

Neil

Country flag
Jalashwa is the ideal craft to be used for evac under possible opposed evacuation and hence the destroyers too to cater for such an eventuality.

The evac of citizens from such chaos is a priority compared to an exercise.
Ray sir i am not in any way saying JALASHWA should not be used for evac....life of are citizens is more important than anything....
but was merely saying TROPEX will be more low key as its main object[amphibious landing] cannot be completed without JALASHWA

cant INS Deepak or any other replenishing ship be used along side JALASHWA for evac....??

sandeepdg

thankx a ton bro....so guess TROPEX will miss it star players.....
Yeah, mate, it will. But saving our citizens is of prime concern now, the exercise can be delayed if necessary.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If you had read about the details of Jalashwa, one of the reason was to be used for humanitarian purposes. It is built to do so.

Other naval crafts are smaller.

Economics of the evac.

Connect with the evac of US citizens from Lebanon.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
we need more of INS Jalashwa type ships in future...........hope we learn from this ship and build our own in good numbers.

Neil

Country flag
If you had read about the details of Jalashwa, one of the reason was to be used for humanitarian purposes. It is built to do so.

Other naval crafts are smaller.

Economics of the evac.

Connect with the evac of US citizens from Lebanon.
true sir....but INS Deepak is larger than Jalashwa and can carry larger number of our citizen back home.....cant it help Jalashwa...??

Adux

Country flag
true sir....but INS Deepak is larger than Jalashwa and can carry larger number of our citizen back home.....cant it help Jalashwa...??
It carries OIL! not people!

Neil

Country flag
It carries OIL! not people!
google it and then post bro....it carries oil+tonnes of armaments[not jus oil] its the 2nd largest ship in IN so it can carry people like Jalashwa and even if it carries oil we sent warships to take are people out of lebanon in 06 so why not a fleet tanker with awesome capacity...??!!

Last edited:

Adux

Country flag
hey bro listen up...^No it cannot, You cannot put people on the deck, You need Fresh Water Generators, Beds, Toilets, Medical Facilities, Air Conditioning etc etc, This is not half an hour trip nor is this Amistad. INS Deepak is a unique design, but it can be used for Evcuation purposes upto 250 People and not more. It is still primarily a tanker, and nobody is going to sail a ship full of flameable material into a war torn area to carry out people. It is just not safe.
You dont evacuate people that way, They are not goods. The 'awesome capacity' is not Personnel but for Oil. Now you know why Indian Navy and I agree, that you dont use Fleet Tankers for evacuation purposes.

Read Up again, heck let me help you
http://www.fincantieri.it/CMS/Data/...EY_armatore=&CMSKEY_anno=&CMSKEY_sottotitolo=
Now This Jalshwa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_class_amphibious_transport_dock

Last edited:

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
The Delhi-class vessels deployed are INS Mysore and INS Mumbai.

Neil

Country flag
hey bro listen up...^No it cannot, You cannot put people on the deck, You need Fresh Water Generators, Beds, Toilets, Medical Facilities, Air Conditioning etc etc, This is not half an hour trip nor is this Amistad. INS Deepak is a unique design, but it can be used for Evcuation purposes upto 250 People and not more. It is still primarily a tanker, and nobody is going to sail a ship full of flameable material into a war torn area to carry out people. It is just not safe.
You dont evacuate people that way, They are not goods. The 'awesome capacity' is not Personnel but for Oil. Now you know why Indian Navy and I agree, that you dont use Fleet Tankers for evacuation purposes.

Read Up again, heck let me help you
http://www.fincantieri.it/CMS/Data/...EY_armatore=&CMSKEY_anno=&CMSKEY_sottotitolo=
Now This Jalshwa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_class_amphibious_transport_dock
now you listen up bro....in 06 Op Sukoon, we used destroyers to evacuate nearly 2000 Indians,Sri lankans and nepalese....did they have any of yr above facilities for citizen-even if did it was personnel so even Deepak can have!

now i am not comparing Deepak and Jalashwa but Deepak and destroyers....
i may be wrong about comparing but i wanna know why.....heck plz dont give me an ans like it carries oil not people ....even warships carries missiles not citizens so....heck help me out!!

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
How many Indians are stranded in Libya?

Will they all be at Benghazi or wherever is the Embarkation Port or will they trickle in?

They are already using a ferry.

Further, the evac is not to India. It is to Alexandria and from there they will be airlifted.

Jalashwa is organised for carrying personnel and that is the advantage. Elsewhere, the people are carried like as if they were in a cattle car.

Last edited:

Adux

Country flag
now you listen up bro....in 06 Op Sukoon, we used destroyers to evacuate nearly 2000 Indians,Sri lankans and nepalese....did they have any of yr above facilities for citizen-even if did it was personnel so even Deepak can have!
The Layout in a Stadium might put more people in, but it will still not conduicive for a comfortable stay because of its exposure to elements, while a office building though lesser in capacity, it is better. INS Deepak can take 250 odd people, but more importantly she being a OIL tanker FILLED WITH OIL, she will not be put into harms way in a battle torn port. NO. Do you know why, they are not airlifting them out of Libya but Egypt. MANPADS! You cannot have undefended, easy, lumbering and expensive assets put in harms way. Which is why Destroyers and LPD's will do the evcuation, Tankers will do support, and finally they will be flown out of Egypt!

i may be wrong about comparing but i wanna know why.....heck plz dont give me an ans like it carries oil not people ....even warships carries missiles not citizens so....heck help me out!

Hey Bro, Listen Up ,

Carrying Oil and Carrying Missiles is different. Space management inside a destroyer and in OIL tanker is also different. The Largest Portion is dedicated to Oil Carrying in Oil Tanker, while it is not the same with a Destroyer. Think Bro, Think!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
In naval crafts, there is not enough space for even the ships complement.

That is why they resort to 'hot bunking'. This means that when a chap goes for duty, his bunk is occupied by the person who is relieved of the duty.

In submarine, there is only one toilet and to respect the Captain, he gets a 'special time' when he can visit the toilet without having to stand in line.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
How many Indians are stranded in Libya?
GoI estimates 18,000 Indian citizens.

Further, the evac is not to India. It is to Alexandria and from there they will be airlifted.
Yes, that's the plan. Even Tripoli to Alexandria is over 24 hours by sea. So it's going to be a long an uncomfortable ferry.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles