Infrastructure and Energy Sector

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag
IIM shillong . was inaugurated today

I don’t like these standalone management institutes. The institute needs to be part of a university campus where engineering, science, medical schools etc are also there. This is because things are cross disciplinary these days. People want to work on engineering startups in their management course. Or doctors want to create biomedical engineering products. Cross disciplinary universities are the best for that. Having separate campuses in distant places means no cross disciplinary coordination. This is why I don’t like IIT/IIM/NIT etc concepts. What the government needs to do is create top grade integrated universities like Harvard, Oxford, Stanford, etc. If it has to be like MIT, it has to be in a place where there other top institutes of other disciplines nearby like in Boston, USA. The current IIT/IIM/AIIMS silo setup is not good for innovation and R&D. Bring them all together in the same campus or next to each other.

kharabela

I don’t like these standalone management institutes. The institute needs to be part of a university campus where engineering, science, medical schools etc are also there. This is because things are cross disciplinary these days. People want to work on engineering startups in their management course. Or doctors want to create biomedical engineering products. Cross disciplinary universities are the best for that. Having separate campuses in distant places means no cross disciplinary coordination. This is why I don’t like IIT/IIM/NIT etc concepts. What the government needs to do is create top grade integrated universities like Harvard, Oxford, Stanford, etc. If it has to be like MIT, it has to be in a place where there other top institutes of other disciplines nearby like in Boston, USA. The current IIT/IIM/AIIMS silo setup is not good for innovation and R&D. Bring them all together in the same campus or next to each other.
Does MIT of USA provide management , medical , liberal art courses etc .. As far as i know MIT only deals with science and tech and they are doing excellent . Regarding interdisciplinary/specialized courses there are some opportunities once graduation is completed , and someone wants to pursue higher studies .
We have our jnu , DU type universities . And IITs , IIMs have done better than those .

The reason i think you dont see research activities like that of oxford , mit etc is , a university is not a island . There must be industrial capacity and such ecosystem to absorb the research and innovation and make it profitable . There has to be economy to support such activities . And its getting better day by day .

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
the core purpose of Indian public education system is not excellence, rather it is about being affordable. there is a limit to how much excellence can be achieved under the umbrella of public/govt educational system.

nobody is stopping “a few good men” to create private non-profit universities whose goal is global excellence. the current public education system thru IIT IIM can continue as is.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Vizag city is tipped to become electrical poles-free when the work on laying the underground power cable network is completed by March next.

80 per cent of the work is done and the remaining would be completed by March.

All cities in India need to do this, as per capita income of India rises, our country's looks should also have a reflection of the change.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Vizag city is tipped to become electrical poles-free when the work on laying the underground power cable network is completed by March next.

80 per cent of the work is done and the remaining would be completed by March.

All cities in India need to do this, as per capita income of India rises, our country's looks should also have a reflection of the change.
in vizag this is required because overhead power lines are vulnerable to winds from the sea, when there are heavy winds, power is shut.

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag
Does MIT of USA provide management , medical , liberal art courses etc .. As far as i know MIT only deals with science and tech and they are doing excellent . Regarding interdisciplinary/specialized courses there are some opportunities once graduation is completed , and someone wants to pursue higher studies .
We have our jnu , DU type universities . And IITs , IIMs have done better than those .

The reason i think you dont see research activities like that of oxford , mit etc is , a university is not a island . There must be industrial capacity and such ecosystem to absorb the research and innovation and make it profitable . There has to be economy to support such activities . And its getting better day by day .
MIT is surrounded by dozens of universities all next to each other is Boston. There’s a lot of collaboration between MIT and Harvard in health care engineering as well as with other universities in Boston. Cambridge where many universities are there is a hotbed of innovation. We cannot create these standalone institutes and expect strong innovations coming out of them. CalTech is also engineering only but right next to it is the University of California system with all sorts of disciplines. Similarly Carnegie Mellon University, a STEM university is right next to University of Pittsburgh with hospitals and everything. That is why the US is innovating at the university level really well, whereas we suck.

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag
the core purpose of Indian public education system is not excellence, rather it is about being affordable. there is a limit to how much excellence can be achieved under the umbrella of public/govt educational system.

nobody is stopping “a few good men” to create private non-profit universities whose goal is global excellence. the current public education system thru IIT IIM can continue as is.
Public universities can be affordable too. The central universities are there. These institutes need to be part of such central universities. Innovation is key for India’s survival. Fall behind in the tech race with the chinis and we lose markets and gdp, and get stuck in lower middle income trap.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Public universities can be affordable too. The central universities are there. These institutes need to be part of such central universities. Innovation is key for India’s survival. Fall behind in the tech race with the chinis and we lose markets and gdp, and get stuck in lower middle income trap.
and i am saying, we don't have to assume that public universities/educational institutions are the only way to achieve excellence, private non-profit universities is also an option, since they don't have to adhere to constitutional compulsions of social justice.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars The Mumbai pune expressway missing link project. India's tallest cable stayed road bridge. 182 metre high will be 650 metres long. The Pylons taking shape. Contractor: Afcons.

FkPkcn8aUAA7tuV.jpeg
FkPkcn8akAA2fEp.jpeg

Last edited:

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Fall behind in the tech race with the chinis and we lose markets and gdp, and get stuck in lower middle income trap.
I think we already are behind the curve and the gap will never be closed if the current situation continues.
Going by what I see Even Tier 3 colleges in China are producing research papers and patents. I would like to mention actual research papers on new niche tech unlike ours where 90% of the research papers are copy paste or modified derivative of already available research papers, saying this because I have seen it first hand in even the most prestigious colleges.
Other than that there is a lack of courses curated for modern demand like Modern Urban Planning courses in Civil engineering. Courses like RCC, Strength of Materials, Fluid Dynamics are covered in the 1st and second year but the third and fourth year meant for diversification into interest is totally wasted to certain extent. I can go as far as to say course need to get a lot more hybrid like offering a course exclusively on Pedestrian Infra Design Philosophy or HVAC design.
There are multitude of issues but I will again sound like a broken record and this isn't the right thread for this kind of issue so I limited my post to Civil engineering.

Bahut bura hal he and people aren't recognizing it

Blademaster

and i am saying, we don't have to assume that public universities/educational institutions are the only way to achieve excellence, private non-profit universities is also an option, since they don't have to adhere to constitutional compulsions of social justice.
Don't forget about the importance of vocational training schools to teach skill sets. After all we need skilled machinists, welders, carpenters, plumbers, and other trades that require skills, hands on knowledge, and passing on lessons gained from experience.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Don't forget about the importance of vocational training schools to teach skill sets. After all we need skilled machinists, welders, carpenters, plumbers, and other trades that require skills, hands on knowledge, and passing on lessons gained from experience.
ITI schools are there for vocational training. for now GoI has developed a programme called Skill India, it comes under minister Rajeev Chandra shekhar .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles