Infrastructure and Energy Sector

afako

Hindufying India
Country flag
"We should be building plants like there is no tomorrow."
this happened during UPA, power sector went bankrupt. it took almost five years to clear that mess, the effects still remain.
That was not sane economics at play. There was capital duty exemption for imports for many years which allowed UPA cronies (Anil Ambani, Lanco, GMR) to import duty free capital machinery of lesser quality from China getting dumped.

The same cronies tied up imported coal for long term without price protection mechanism. At the outset intention was to cheat and many of the projects became a mess. The local sale price to state governments was fixed for 25 years PPA agreements and there was no mitigation against fluctating procurement cost of coal.

Currently we have coal turbine production in India. Local coal is abundant. Private mining is being encouraged. We have a stable non corrupt Govt in power. The time is ripe for adding power production capacity.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
The time is ripe for adding power production capacity.
Current peak power consumption is 210 GW(Jun 2022)
Current installed capacity is 405 GW, it was 267 GW in 2015.
Current coal based installed capacity is 204 GW(50%), it was 170 GW in 2015.

how much more you think should be added in coal?

Last edited:

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
The way I see it build everything , don't go idiot on renewable only or coal only , with innovation one day we will have nuclear energy more accessible and maybe some new source , till then don't lose out on few fads , you don't wanna cry for being idiot and losing the renewable train or the nuclear train . Just don't fk up and build everything

Abdus Salem killed

Need to produce much more power and consumption as well china produces so much power we need more power for factories

SKC

Country flag
Need to produce much more power and consumption as well china produces so much power we need more power for factories
The most important factor is not having more and more power.

But the most important factor here is the continuous supply of quality power. This is the biggest issue with the factories right now in India. We get power cut any time. Even if the companies tell us in advance about the cuts but it servers us no good when we have the cuts at peak working times.

I don't understand the regular maintenance and support cuts we are having. There is no shortage of power generation in our area and all the lines are now underground but still they are cutting power every other day stating maintenance. These cuts are never ending and we do not see any worker there doing any thing with the transformers and all.

You can not just put whole factory lines on cuts every then and now.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
since i didn't understand this very statement, i had introduced numbers to the argument.
frankly i don't understand what "more" means, "more" has to be relative to something.

and i am unable to grasp what factors are being taken into account for this "more" argument.

is it the case that, even though there is 50% idle capacity(for argument sake) during peak, folks are saying they are willing to pay extra for "more" idle capacity, since once the construction of coal plant is completed, repayment of loan metre starts. someone has to pay for it. invariably it is us who pays for it.

Abdus Salem killed

since i didn't understand this very statement, i had introduced numbers to the argument.
frankly i don't understand what "more" means, "more" has to be relative to something.

and i am unable to grasp what factors are being taken into account for this "more" argument.

is it the case that, even though there is 50% idle capacity during peak, folks are saying they are willing to pay extra for "more" idle capacity, since once the construction of coal plant is completed, repayment of loan metre starts. someone has to pay for it. invariably it is us who pays for it.
China produces and consumes much more electricity than us we need to do the same

Bhaubai

Country flag
India’s first all-aluminium freight rail wagons. The gleaming rakes are 180 tonnes lighter than existing steel rakes, can carry 5-10% more payload, consume less energy with relatively negligible wear and tear to rolling stock and rails
20221016_162944.jpg

assassin162

Country flag
Friends some opinions, observations and questions/points to ponder over from my side ~
1) Energy independence is key, nothing else.
2) Yes, cleaner energy should be the goal but neither at the cost of energy independence and nor at excessive high price.
3) In my humble opinion, govt should cut down on the excessive taxation at many levels in the coal sector and bring down electricity price for the end consumer. Reforms at the distribution level are also key and govt is doing all that it can regarding this. Power price especially for industrial sector should be reduced.
4) Why are we promoting natural gas at such levels when we have to import that and that too in form of LNG?
5) I think once pilot projects show result, we should double and triple down on coal gasfication sector. This can replace much of our industrial needs in fertilizer, pharmaceuticals and all other sectors in which oil and gas derivatives are used.
6) Also electrical appliances for cooking should be promoted, even if that means subsidising induction, microwave through some govt portal. Electricity use increase boosts economy while oil and gas are drag.
7) Renewables will realise their full potential once slowly but steadily master cheap grid level electricty storage based on formulations for which we dont have to import. This will be the key and this will be the future. I am for renewables, I am for it, but we venture steadily in this.
8) Other than the coal based energy we also have to see if the sewage and farm waste based energy is viable, and move ahead. Though this wont be humongous but still. Import from cleanliess and environmental perspective as well that whole waste is processed.
9) Primary goal has to be clean coal, coal gasfication, building solar modules, cheap and reliable storage whether at grid level, house level or in the aplliances or vehicles, extracting H from coal in medium term and by using renewables in long term.

Last edited:

assassin162

Country flag
India’s first all-aluminium freight rail wagons. The gleaming rakes are 180 tonnes lighter than existing steel rakes, can carry 5-10% more payload, consume less energy with relatively negligible wear and tear to rolling stock and rails
View attachment 176318
Expansive plus I have read somewhere there lifecycle is not even half to that of steel. Though they are better recycled than steel.

afako

Hindufying India
Country flag

Any planned capacity takes few years to realize from approvals, financing, tendering, execution, test run and then pilot production.

If we are doing 50% of installed capacity as on date, we are really bad at industrializing. We have planned to increase steel production by 200 million tonnes, aluminum production capacity to be doubled, Indian middle class with good purchasing power will rise from 100 million (since 2000s) to 300 million by the end of this decade. The Govt has planned massive
trillion dollafs Capex and intends to export trillion dollar worth of merchandise goods by 2028.

The per capita elecrricity consumption itself speaks how far we are from the rest of the world. Even accounting for the installed capacity we are still half way of the mark:

China: 5985

India: 1218

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Any planned capacity takes few years to realize from approvals, financing, tendering, execution, test run and then pilot production.

If we are doing 50% of installed capacity as on date, we are really bad at industrializing. We have planned to increase steel production by 200 million tonnes, aluminum production capacity to be doubled, Indian middle class with good purchasing power will rise from 100 million (since 2000s) to 300 million by the end of this decade. The Govt has planned massive
trillion dollafs Capex and intends to export trillion dollar worth of merchandise goods by 2028.

The per capita elecrricity consumption itself speaks how far we are from the rest of the world. Even accounting for the installed capacity we are still half way of the mark:

China: 5985

India: 1218
but china too is aiming for 50% fossil fuel based power generation, same as India.

LondonParisTokyo

Country flag
Coal is cheap in the short term but end up costing more in the long run. Nuclear power plants pay off in the long run. Yes the start up costs are greater than coal power plant's startup costs but overall the operational cost is much less than coal power plants. There's a reason why coal power plants are being phased out en masse out in the US and the West and it has nothing to do with climate change.
Coal is being phased out here but is not being replaced by nuclear. It's being replaced by either nothing or wind/solar (which are the worst forms of energy).

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars Newer Mumbai Metro Lines approved, 197 Km in the total length, plus the Alibagh corridors 100 Kms and the Nerul Corridor 100 Kms. That will make the Mumbai Metro 734 Kms in length. That's exculding the Navi Mumbai Metro Systems.

FfMdDjzVQAA3eFw.png

Global Defence

New threads

Articles