Infrastructure and Energy Sector

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Yup, like Lodha Group’s Palava project (they’re building another big township in Navi Mumbai) as it fits in a lot of people improving quality of life.
Indeed and not many flats remain unsold for long, plus very security.
Its not that access card is made for anybody you know , it's that only the direct relatives of the owner can have the access card.
This was not the case earlier. Because back then a fellow started to grow ganja in flat he took on rent , so after that the conditions to make the cards was made more stringent.
Plus pcma guys are many times u helpful

Butter Chicken

Country flag
Its a mixed bag, they could be pure concrete jungles with asphalt or concrete covering every sq inch radiating heat. In general, most japanese make do with less is more but there are incredibly stupid aspects such as wrapping each individual candy or cookie in a plastic wrap and heavy packaging and so on.
Are American, European cities full of trees? They are also concrete jungles .
People who love trees can go to parks or li e in villages

SKC

Country flag
I personally prefer the Japanese model. A perfect blend of nature and man.
If it was possible Japan would have gone for high rise concrete cities too. But they don't have any choice.
With them being present right in between ring of fire, Chinese kind of construction is not feasible and viable for them.
Also more than 30-35% of their population is centered around Tokyo metropolitan area itself that other cities are not that congested.

omaebakabaka

Are American, European cities full of trees? They are also concrete jungles .
People who love trees can go to parks or li e in villages
Just based on my stints overseas in different parts of the world....US has gone through its phase of significant destruction of flora and fauna till post ww2 when epa and few other agencies were setup to restrain it. It still does see destruction but they do it very sneakily. As for greenery, they do have rules around leaving open soil in most urban areas and its covered with grass but lawns are stupid idea and not sustainable with immense water usage in most countries in the world and even US going forward. Anyway, they are not our yardstick as they maintain their life style at the expense of rest of the world. Destruction in a dense country like India will have massive consequences and they are here already.

Last thing, it does not matter what other countries do, we need to plant more trees in Urban areas and go for native ones especially shrubs. Most forests are gone, one time my ancestral village and district was thick forest and now most of it is a small pocket. Rural is seeing even more destruction as traditional houses are replaced with concrete and hideous out of place structures and not to mention cutting forests.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
RankCityPopulation
(2011)[3]
Population
(2001)
State or union territory
1Mumbai12,442,37311,978,450Maharashtra
2Delhi11,007,8359,879,172Delhi
3Bangalore8,425,9704,301,326Karnataka
4Hyderabad6,809,9703,637,483Telangana
5Ahmedabad5,570,5853,520,085Gujarat
6Chennai4,681,0874,343,645Tamil Nadu
7Kolkata4,486,6794,572,876West Bengal
8Surat4,467,7972,433,835Gujarat
9Pune3,115,4312,538,473Maharashtra
10Jaipur3,046,1632,322,575Rajasthan
11Lucknow2,815,6012,185,927Uttar Pradesh
12Kanpur2,767,0312,551,337Uttar Pradesh
13Nagpur2,405,6652,052,066Maharashtra

Cities with population above 2 million.

What is the future?

some 30 to 50 odd cities with very high population between 2 to 5 million?

we need to really disperse our population concentration quality of life decreases in high density society and if we are to maintain the same level of amenities than the cost incurred in providing those increases.

Chandigarh is a perfect city IMO good balance of Housing, Offices, Education institutes, greenery, recreation and transport.

omaebakabaka

RankCityPopulation
(2011)[3]
Population
(2001)
State or union territory
1Mumbai12,442,37311,978,450Maharashtra
2Delhi11,007,8359,879,172Delhi
3Bangalore8,425,9704,301,326Karnataka
4Hyderabad6,809,9703,637,483Telangana
5Ahmedabad5,570,5853,520,085Gujarat
6Chennai4,681,0874,343,645Tamil Nadu
7Kolkata4,486,6794,572,876West Bengal
8Surat4,467,7972,433,835Gujarat
9Pune3,115,4312,538,473Maharashtra
10Jaipur3,046,1632,322,575Rajasthan
11Lucknow2,815,6012,185,927Uttar Pradesh
12Kanpur2,767,0312,551,337Uttar Pradesh
13Nagpur2,405,6652,052,066Maharashtra

Cities with population above 2 million.

What is the future?

some 30 to 50 odd cities with very high population between 2 to 5 million?

we need to really disperse our population concentration quality of life decreases in high density society and if we are to maintain the same level of amenities than the cost incurred in providing those increases.

Chandigarh is a perfect city IMO good balance of Housing, Offices, Education institutes, greenery, recreation and transport.
Key is high speed and frequency local trains for commuters, in that way you can have people living 100 km away from urban centers reducing road traffic and dispersing small businesses a bit.

Physx32

Country flag
No. With our high population and rapidly increasing urbanization, it's inevitable that the cities will get populated extremely fast. To prevent growth of slums, we need dense housing (G+15 or higher buildings). The freed space must be used as public spaces and parks. The American model of low density suburbs will destroy this country.
Very little or next to nothing trees and bushes. Concrete jungle. Only pluses I see is that lack of dust and garbage. It looks very clean compared to Indian cities. And they created safe space for people to walk around and mill.
Yup. Now I understand that it's the lack of greenary that is giving this "dystopian" vibe. Indian city planners must take this into account when we're building similar high density residential communities.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Maersk inaugurates two warehouses in India

omaebakabaka

LOL haven't you been watching the news lately? This summer they were roasted. They had a drought for heavens sake. People here calmly talking about how they don't need trees in an urban jungle. I want to ask are you in your senses? Apart from heat absorption which comes with having no trees and also no water sipping into underground when there are rains, there is a psychological impact on people's mental health if all they see is just concrete jungle. Why does your senses feel good when you are in nature? Why do you suddenly feel free from stress when you are in a national park where all you hear is the sound of the insects?

Human beings evolved in nature listening to birds chirping, living off of the land, enjoying the morning and evening sun. The hustle and bustle of the city have wreaked our brains. Growing in a concrete jungle with no exposure to nature is not natural. Exposure to nature is not optional it is a necessity for your mental and physical health.

We have to build our cities without compromising on green cover and parks in every residential area. City planning should prioritize green cover otherwise with rising temperatures our cities will become Micro-ovens where everyone will be baked in summer. I miss the days when I used to see so many different types of birds in my town and cool temperatures even in hot summers.

With high rises, comes no cross ventilation requiring ac's per room creating more local high temps ranging 5 degrees or more warming up the surrounding air and creating all sorts of issues. Less is more should be the only philosophy that needs to be encouraged. Western economioc growth model of ever increasing consumption and artificial materials usage is more harmful over long term.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Don't know dude, I am not an AI that can pixel correlate and tell you the ratio of green. Especially when I can't tell if you cropped Paris's picture deliberately or not. Tell you what though, I can do a google search. And Delhi and Paris are evenly matched in green cover at around 20%.

My point though was countering your assertion that European and American cities "don't have trees and only have concrete jungles".

My point is simple: Having trees in your city is not bad urban planning. So if you want to continue, tell me why having trees in your city is bad urban planning in your book.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz

omaebakabaka

Don't know dude, I am not an AI that can pixel correlate and tell you the ratio of green. Especially when I can't tell if you cropped Paris's picture deliberately or not. Tell you what though, I can do a google search. And Delhi and Paris are evenly matched in green cover at around 20%.

My point though was countering your assertion that European and American cities "don't have trees and only have concrete jungles".

My point is simple: Having trees in your city is not bad urban planning. So if you want to continue, tell me why having trees in your city is bad urban planning in your book.
Also the fact that west is more or less stabilized in terms of urban growth and their cities are generally depopulating and in some greenery is coming back. In India, poverty is still prevalent and existing farm land will be repurposed to support it and it is happening at a scary speed already. Two different models, different characteristics, different climate conditions, different densities and different timelines of normalization

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
All these countries have lesser population density than us.
Noted. The argument was about having trees in cities. Take another example of a country with a similar enough population density to India: Japan.
Tokyo has a 52% tree cover. And its urbane and sophisticated as a city. Centered around public transit as well. Even the denser parts of Tokyo have a tree cover of around 23%, comparable to New York, London or Delhi.

So for the last time: Trees aren't the enemy.

Butter Chicken

Country flag
Noted. The argument was about having trees in cities. Take another example of a country with a similar enough population density to India: Japan.
Tokyo has a 52% tree cover. And its urbane and sophisticated as a city. Centered around public transit as well. Even the denser parts of Tokyo have a tree cover of around 23%, comparable to New York, London or Delhi.

So for the last time: Trees aren't the enemy.
This is tokyo with 52% cover.You don't need to be an AI to notice that Delhi is far greener than Tokyo.
Which is more livable?

Screenshot_2022_0923_221739.jpg

Reactions: SKC

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
This is tokyo with 52% cover.You don't need to be an AI to notice that Delhi is far greener than Tokyo.
Which is more livable?

View attachment 172936
Assuming what you say is true (its not), what do you want us to do? Cut down trees in Delhi till it looks less green? Because according to you, trees don't belong in cities and tree lovers should just go to a village or something.

What will it take to convince you that its possible to have high-density housing, proper pedestrian pathways, good roads and other urban infra while also having enough trees in the same damn city?

I mentioned this before but you completely skipped the point: Urban Heat Island. Trees help with that. Without it, our cities would be screwed in the summer heat. And we'll end up having to use more ACs which will lead to a vicious cycle.

The problem with our infra lies elsewhere, in planning, implementation and basic law and order. And here we are pointlessly discussing about trees as if removing the latter will fix the former. It won't. It'll make it worse though.

Last edited:

notaname

Country flag
Which is more livable?

View attachment 172936
Even with no trees our cities will look same as now, there will be no difference as the maintenance is not there you can construct a footpath and also proper lanes but after sometime they need rework and constant maintenance which is not there, I have seen top class infra in start of colonies but with time they look same as normal one's. as after the maintenance end from the company side then it goes to the municipality, nagar palika or Nagar Nigam then you can forget it.

Same with our roads, do you know why Indore always comes top in cleanliness, that is because they charge for it seperately and there is different wing for that specifically with constant maintenance and oversight you remove that, city will again come to same as before.

Whatever gymnastics we do will not change anything till the issue of maintenance is resolved.

And mind you people will not agree to shell out that much money for maintenance of high end infra, in India people fight for even a single rupee be it a millionaire or lower middle class person.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles