Indus era 8,000 years old, not 5,500; ended because of weaker monsoon

for truth

Country flag
KOLKATA: It may be time to rewrite history textbooks. Scientists from IIT-Kharagpurand Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) have uncovered evidence that the Indus Valley Civilization is at least 8,000 years old, and not 5,500 years old, taking root well before the Egyptian (7000BC to 3000BC) and Mesopotamian (6500BC to 3100BC) civilizations. What's more, the researchers have found evidence of a pre-Harappan civilization that existed for at least 1,000 years before this.

The discovery, published in the prestigious 'Nature' journal on May 25, may force a global rethink on the timelines of the so-called 'cradles of civilization'. The scientists believe they also know why the civilization ended about 3,000 years ago — climate change.

"We have recovered perhaps the oldest pottery from the civilization. We used a technique called 'optically stimulated luminescence' to date pottery shards of the Early Mature Harappan time to nearly 6,000 years ago and the cultural levels of pre-Harappan Hakra phase as far back as 8,000 years," said Anindya Sarkar, head of the department of geology and geophysics at IIT-Kgp.

The team had actually set out to prove that the civilization proliferated to other Indian sites like Bhirrana and Rakhigarrhi in Haryana, apart from the known locations of Harappa and Mohenjo Daro in Pakistan and Lothal, Dholavira and Kalibangan in India. They took their dig to an unexplored site, Bhirrana — and ended up unearthing something much bigger. The excavation also yielded large quantities of animal remains like bones, teeth, horn cores of cow, goat, deer and antelope, which were put through Carbon 14 analysis to decipher antiquity and the climatic conditions in which the civilization flourished, said Arati Deshpande Mukherjee of Deccan College, which helped analyse the finds along with Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad.

The researchers believe that the Indus Valley Civilization spread over a vast expanse of India — stretching to the banks of the now "lost" Saraswati river or the Ghaggar-Hakra river - but this has not been studied enough because what we know so far is based on British excavations. "At the excavation sites, we saw preservation of all cultural levels right from the pre-Indus Valley Civilization phase (9000-8000 BC) through what we have categorised as Early Harappan (8000-7000BC) to the Mature Harappan times," said Sarkar.

While the earlier phases were represented by pastoral and early village farming communities, the mature Harappan settlements were highly urbanised with organised cities, and a much developed material and craft culture. They also had regular trade with Arabia and Mesopotamia. The Late Harappan phase witnessed large-scale de-urbanisation, drop in population, abandonment of established settlements, lack of basic amenities, violence and even the disappearance of the Harappan script, the researchers say.

"We analysed the oxygen isotope composition in the bone and tooth phosphates of these remains to unravel the climate pattern. The oxygen isotope in mammal bones and teeth preserve the signature of ancient meteoric water and in turn the intensity of monsoon rainfall. Our study shows that the pre-Harappan humans started inhabiting this area along the Ghaggar-Hakra rivers in a climate that was favourable for human settlement and agriculture. The monsoon was much stronger between 9000 years and 7000 years from now and probably fed these rivers making them mightier with vast floodplains," explained Deshpande Mukherjee.

Indus Valley evolved even as monsoon declined

They took their dig to an unexplored site, Bhirrana — and ended up unearthing something much bigger. The excavation also yielded large quantities of animal remains like bones, teeth, horn cores of cow, goat, deer and antelope, which were put through Carbon 14 analysis to decipher antiquity and the climatic conditions in which the civilization flourished, said Arati Deshpande Mukherjee of Deccan College, which helped analyse the finds along with Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad.

The researchers believe that the Indus Valley Civilization spread over a vast expanse of India — stretching to the banks of the now "lost" Saraswati river or the Ghaggar-Hakra river — but this has not been studied enough because what we know so far is based on British excavations. "At the excavation sites, we saw preservation of all cultural levels right from the pre-Indus Valley Civilisation phase (9,000-8,000 years ago) through what we have categorised as Early Harappan (8,000-7,000 years ago) to the Mature Harappan times," said Sarkar.

The late Harappan phase witnessed large-scale de-urbanisation, drop in population, abandonment of established settlements, violence and even the disappearance of the Harappan script, the researchers say. The study revealed that monsoon started weakening 7,000 years ago but, surprisingly, the civilization did not disappear.

The Indus Valley people were very resolute and flexible and continued to evolve even in the face of declining monsoon. The people shifted their crop patterns from large-grained cereals like wheat and barley during the early part of intensified monsoon to drought-resistant species like rice in the latter part. As the yield diminished, the organised large storage system of the Mature Harappan period gave way to more individual household-based crop processing and storage systems that acted as a catalyst for the de-urbanisation of the civilization rather than an abrupt collapse, they say.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...se-of-weaker-monsoon/articleshow/52485332.cms

Kshatriya87

Country flag
8000 years old is good but still doesn't compare with the 32000 years old city of Dwarka. Our civilisation is much much older than just harappa and mohenjo daro.

Ancient Indian

p = np :)
8000 years old is good but still doesn't compare with the 32000 years old city of Dwarka. Our civilisation is much much older than just harappa and mohenjo daro.
Yuga system is true.
If we read aryabhatiya, he clearly mentions the exact date including Kaliyuga year no.

Truth may gotten little distorted but there is ample evidence to prove human existence way before our estimated timeline.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Yuga system is true.
If we read aryabhatiya, he clearly mentions the exact date including Kaliyuga year no.

Truth may gotten little distorted but there is ample evidence to prove human existence way before our estimated timeline.
Question is, why did they stop digging Dwarka? It was the most authentic evidence to prove Indian civilisation dated back thousands of years and would permanently silence the western world.

Ancient Indian

Question is, why did they stop digging Dwarka? It was the most authentic evidence to prove Indian civilisation dated back thousands of years and would permanently silence the western world.
During vajapeyi time, there was an attempt under the leadership of Murali manohar Josh.
But it got buried later. I don't know what happened.
They got a sample of wood form it which in carbon dating showed about the time period you mentioned.
Pls don't ask me links. Google can help you.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
During vajapeyi time, there was an attempt under the leadership of Murali manohar Josh.
But it got buried later. I don't know what happened.
They got a sample of wood form it which in carbon dating showed about the time period you mentioned.
Pls don't ask me links. Google can help you.
I won't, I know already. Also, the curious thing is that the lead archeologist on the project disappeared following his replacement as well.

Ancient Indian

I won't, I know already. Also, the curious thing is that the lead archeologist on the project disappeared following his replacement as well.
The whole thing is fishy as hell.
Off topic,
BTW did you see Mohenjo-Daro motion poster?
Another propaganda movie no doubt.
They are treating it as some African civilisation. Sounds and drawings looking tribal, when ours has dancing and music is very different.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
The whole thing is fishy as hell.
Off topic,
BTW did you see Mohenjo-Daro motion poster?
Another propaganda movie no doubt.
They are treating it as some African civilisation. Sounds and drawings looking tribal, when ours has dancing and music is very different.
Nope. Didn't get a chance to see that. I will check it out later. Any idea who made the movie? Must be western folks. They are hell bent on proving that Indian subcontinent did not have any indigenous civilization.

Ancient Indian

Nope. Didn't get a chance to see that. I will check it out later. Any idea who made the movie? Must be western folks. They are hell bent on proving that Indian subcontinent did not have any indigenous civilization.
Director is same guy who directed joda Akbar.
I forgot his name. Let's see what happens.

Ancient Indian

I don't know. I was somewhere, a radio was on, said now lets play song of mohenjo daro.
Man it is painful to watch these things.
I used to admire rahman music. Now it is making me discomfortable to bash the whole thing.
You know south India and all the crap.

Bharat Ek Khoj

Man it is painful to watch these things.
I used to admire rahman music. Now it is making me discomfortable to bash the whole thing.
You know south India and all the crap.
Actually a Gujju hardly knows anything about south india. But I'm big fan of south indian music composers, specially ilaya raja, karthika raja and a. r. rahman.
What's wrong with a.r. rahman ??

Ancient Indian

Actually a Gujju hardly knows anything about south india. But I'm big fan of south indian music composers, specially ilaya raja, karthika raja and a. r. rahman.
What's wrong with a.r. rahman ??
I think he is the music director of the movie and made those tribal sounds.
Our civilisation is hardly a tribal one. It is based on agriculture.
Relaxed beats and ragas does more sense than tribal drum beats made from wild animal's skin.

Bharat Ek Khoj

I think he is the music director of the movie and made those tribal sounds.
Our civilisation is hardly a tribal one. It is based on agriculture.
Relaxed beats and ragas does more sense than tribal drum beats made from wild animal's skin.
OK. I haven't seen trailer, let me check. If there are shown tribal in the movie, then music will be same. Blame that freakin' director.

Edit : Seems like no official trailer yet.

Akask kumar

what i came across in this link.. which i believe is true and fits everything..

http://ajitvadakayil.blogspot.in/2011/01/mother-of-all-civilisations-saraswati.html

before harappa civ there was Saraswati civilization(9000bc) along the bank of river saraswati , entirely dependent on it.. it was in this civilization vedas were first penned down around 5000 bc after travelling oral route.

due to tectonic shift in the himalayas the river path blocked and it started drying so ppl around 4000 bc(can fluctutate) started migrating in different direction depending on climate they preferred , some settled on Indus river and Indus valley started,the druhyu clan preferred cold climate so went further NW to europe.there druhyu are called as druids in europe , some went south of india , some other parts mesopotamia etc and started different civilization.

i will post a druid art and harappa art . and it will blow ur mind.

this is harappa art- showing pashupati..

this druid art . very similar.. plus there were no snakes in europe back then..i think lion is also not found in europe.

SO SARASWATI CIVILIZATION IS CONSIDERED AS MOTHER OF ALL CIVILIZATION. no western country will accept it, no matter how much carbon dating our researcher do .history is owned by OXFORD/west built up historians ,even wikipedia dsnt tell truth..so i request ppl in this forum not to believe wiki entirely specially on subjects like hinduism and indian history..

Some 1 asked why excavation in dwarka was abondoned . No western christian country will like to see an advanced civilization before 4000 BC - as in 4000BC whole world was made as per bible.. FOLKS CHURCH STILL RULES THE WORLD. EARLIER DURING BRIT WE HAD MAX MULLER,MACUALEY sponsored by church to subvert indian histiry and culture and at present we have commie historians..

WHAT SADDENS ME . DWARAKA IS IN GUJARAT , BJP RULED GUJARAT FOR MANY TERMS AND NOW IN CNETER STILL NO HOPE.

Ancient Indian

OK. I haven't seen trailer, let me check. If there are shown tribal in the movie, then music will be same. Blame that freakin' director.

Edit : Seems like no official trailer yet.
It is not trailer. Motion poster.
I am talking about background score.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles