Indo-US Relations

How is obama in regards to indian policies?

• good

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • bad

Votes: 60 46.5%
  • need more time

Votes: 54 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

A.V.

is the obama administration acting better for indian strategies or are they a disappointment vote and express your views.

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
Upto now, he seems to be a disappointment... definitely a wet firecracker as far as I'm concerned...

EnlightenedMonk

Upto now, he only seems to be cozying upto China and not doing much for India... I'm afraid he might cause a freeze in the relationships vis a vis India...

First the fiasco with the GE Engines (which seems to have been sorted out now) and his softening of stand with respect to Pakistan and Taliban don't exactly endear him to me and millions of other Indians...

pyromaniac

Founding Member
You are gonna have a tough time finding anyone who thinks that the Obama administration has done anything positive for India. Even though it is widely known that the Bush administration was one of the worst, probably the worst in modern times he helped out India a lot. In that sense, the only good foreign policy he made was the Indo-US Nuclear deal. Obama on the other hand, seems to be negating everything that was accomplished. One of the chief reasons Bush wanted India was to contain Iran and confront them on the nuclear issues. However, now that obama is getting Russia onboard with that idea, the usefulness of India is minimized. The only thing he needs India for is to "contain" china and even that seems to have taken a back seat now as he is non supportive of military purchases by Taiwan(f-16's).
What Obama doesn't realize is that China doesn't play by the same "code" as the western powers. Just look at the disputes they have, they have one with every single country around them. They have attacked America once(Korea), annexed Tibet, attacked India, punished people who want democracy and still Obama wants to cozy up to them. I can't believe that I am saying this, but it looks like John Mccain was right, Obama has no foreign policy experience.
However, to his credit there is very little that can be done. China is America's largest trading partner and holds a huge amount of the US debt. The consequences of having a openly hostile China would not be pleasant. So, Obama is trying to play a delicate game which unfortunately has resulted in India being put on a back burner.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
India's relation with US were at its best during Bush Administration certainly needs more time to consider;).

Country flag
Pyro a poor undeveloped third world China has defeated USA in 2 wars Korea and Vietnam,it's just a matter of time before they try to knock USA out of the top spot they already want a new world currency to start. Anyway I think Obama will be bad for India and USA. The good old days:

EnlightenedMonk

To be honest, I never liked Obama right from the start... I sensed something fishy vis-a-vis India... and upto now he's only lived upto my expectations that he's not going out of the way to do anything for us...

Though, I'd wait a couple of more months before deciding to take a call on his credentials in the poll...

For now, in my books, he's "Slightly Negative, but will give more time"

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
To be honest, I never liked Obama right from the start... I sensed something fishy vis-a-vis India... and upto now he's only lived upto my expectations that he's not going out of the way to do anything for us...

Though, I'd wait a couple of more months before deciding to take a call on his credentials in the poll...

For now, in my books, he's "Slightly Negative, but will give more time"
'Too good to be true' - wasn't he? All the talk of new era seems not to have helped US a bit. He just doesn't know what he is doing. He is trying for short-cuts to come over the troubles. But in the process he is hurting Indo-US relationship. I don't know why is he cosying up with China, as it has been proved again and again that China has an expansionist attitude and in the long run China is going to be the 'Rival', not India. We are content with what we have, and our people will never support any expansionist view of our leaders - but in China the people matters little. Also, he had already started souring the relationship with Taiwan. Another aspect of USA's international policy - they changes policy and don't care when it hurts others - be it their old ally. I wonder what would US do if in coming years during Obama's time China attacked Taiwan - IMO nothing but condemn it. He is even talking giving Afgntan to Pak!!!

Well, I hope in coming time he learns better. Otherwise his admin. can do irreversible harm to US - India could be hurt, but I hope our leaders are prepared if worse comes to the worst.

Flint

Upto now, he only seems to be cozying upto China and not doing much for India... I'm afraid he might cause a freeze in the relationships vis a vis India...

First the fiasco with the GE Engines (which seems to have been sorted out now) and his softening of stand with respect to Pakistan and Taliban don't exactly endear him to me and millions of other Indians...
He doesn't have a Choice. The USA is depending on China to fund its massive spending, and continue to keep the dollar afloat by buying US Currency.

China has already made noises about ditching the dollar in favour of a new global currency, and Russia just backed the idea. If that happens, the US will drop like a stone, literally.

Why do you think Hillary is shuttling between Beijing and Washington?

Country flag
flintlock there will be new currencies the Middle east is also working on their own currency everyone wants to ditch the dollar, even with Hillary running back and forth she cannot achieve much to save a crumbling financial empire.

EnlightenedMonk

We have the wrong friend at the wrong time... thats all I can say...

Country flag
so far we have been the back end of crumbling empires:

mughal empire
ottoman empire
british empire
Soviet empire
US empire

Flint

We have the wrong friend at the wrong time... thats all I can say...
Well there are no permanent friends or enemies. I think this would be a good time to put aside our differences with China and make a serious effort to sort out the border issues by negotiations.
To trot out a cliche - good fences make good neighbours.

But there's no need to panic - the USA will remain no.1 militarily for quite some time, recession or no recession, so its not like we are boarding a sinking ship.

EnlightenedMonk

so far we have been the back end of crumbling empires:

mughal empire
ottoman empire
british empire
Soviet empire
US empire
You took the words out of my mouth... I'm speechless....

Contrast with the Pakistanis who always get the best out of every empire they ally themselves with... They were with the US during the pink of their health and now they seem to be going toward China when China is reaching the pink of its health...

EnlightenedMonk

But there's no need to panic - the USA will remain no.1 militarily for quite some time, recession or no recession, so its not like we are boarding a sinking ship.
IMHO, that is exactly what we are doing... boarding a sinking Ship...

I agree, the US will militarily remain the most potent nation for a long time to come, but only military force is not enough to achieve what it (or any other nation for that matter) wants... it also requires credibility and backing from other nations in the world (in most cases)

America will have the first, but the second and third seem to be a little difficult, recession or no recession... now that China is asserting itself and punching more than its weight and fair share...

Flint

You took the words out of my mouth... I'm speechless....

Contrast with the Pakistanis who always get the best out of every empire they ally themselves with... They were with the US during the pink of their health and now they seem to be going toward China when China is reaching the pink of its health...
Really Monk? IMO Pakistan always gets eaten up by its "allies".

Its being bombed by one, and bought up by the other.

EnlightenedMonk

Really Monk? IMO Pakistan always gets eaten up by its "allies".

Its being bombed by one, and bought up by the other.
Eaten up or not... they get lots of freebies and handouts... The US bombs them on one side, and promises them 35 billion dollars in aid... thats not bad, is it ???

Country flag
Eaten up or not... they get lots of freebies and handouts... The US bombs them on one side, and promises them 35 billion dollars in aid... thats not bad, is it ???
USA has to keep the carrot they will not deliver like promised. Reagan promised Pakistan f-16's in 1982 and they are being delivered soon?

Flint

Its not freebies - its bribery to give up their sovereignty. IMO from the point of view of a nation state, its independence is priceless. You cannot and should not let anyone - even your ally - bomb your territory.

I'm sure China would be willing to pay a far greater amount to let them bomb Dharamsala. Will we let them?

EnlightenedMonk

USA has to keep the carrot they will not deliver like promised. Reagan promised Pakistan f-16's in 1982 and they are being delivered soon?
Unfortunately, this time, Obama came out and said that Pakistan as a nation needed their help... LOL!!! That's what scared me the most... They somehow have to ensure Pakistani support for the WOT now that it is in such a crucial stage... and I'm sure that Obama will not think twice before throwing money at Pakistan to try and get their support...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles