Indo-German relations

The Germans are coming

An English friend of mine once jokeingly summerised German foreign policy as: "We really dont care who you are and what you think of us, but would you like to buy a new car?"

And I think I must agree with him. With a few exceptions German foreign policy after 1949 has constantly been about economics. Military cooperations has always been secondary.

The few exceptions we have are France, Poland, Russia and Israel.

With France we have a 50 year old agreement of friendship and have asked forgiveness for our crimes, it is accepted by both our countries that the most horrible wars in Europe were the result of Frnech-German hatred and that friendly releations between our countries is a must for a peacefull Europe. With Poland we are still asking for forgiveness. With Israel we have a bond that is forged through historic responibility to ensure their safety, so we give them economic assistance, reperations and once every few year we give them a blanco check for a shopping spree through Germanies weapons manufacturers. With Russia we use to have a releation of asking for forgiveness - which might have changed in recent months as anti-Russian sentiment in Germany is starting to grow.

Well, our releation with India are in many ways the same as with everyone else. Which is pritty much: "Would you like to buy a VolksWagen? And maybe even some tanks?". But has been getting more important in recent years as Germany has become Indias biggest and most important trading partner within Europe as the financial volume of our trade lies at 16 billion euros. Despite being such great trading partners, German direct investment into India is unfortunatly somewhat low, as we are only numeber 8 amongst the countries with the biggest direct investment into Indias economy. Especialy agricultural products have started to show up in bigger quantity in German stores, financial services in trade between our countries are also growing aswell as many other parts of the service sector economy. German exports into India are mainly machines, chemicals, manufactured metal products, household appliances and cars.
VolksWagen recently built a car factory at the price of 580 million in the Indian city of Pune to be fully functional within the year 2014. Our car indutry had previously expanded into China with 2 factories there and with the rising Indian middle class that is hungry for cars, I hope that VW will not only bring jobs to India, but that Indians will help us in cementing German dominace over the global automobile industry. Since German industry likes to outsource production into the ereas where exports are very succesfull, I think companies like Bosch will very likely also open factories in India in the near future.
It is generaly accepted by most German politicians that the sole best way to ensure peace and good releations is to help create a succefull economy with a prosperous middle class abroad. But with India we are also engaged in other ways. Since 2013 we have a bilateral agreement on furthering scientific research between our nations and to cooperate in fighting terrorism. There are various scientific institutions in India with Germany funding and German researchers working together with Indian funding and Indian researchers. I have witnessed myself that many Indian students come to our universities and colleges to work on degrees in engeneering, biology and chemistry. We are also one of the first countries who stopped condeming Indias nuclear capacity and are currently enaged with your nuclear institutions in working on scientific advances on nuclear technology. Energy is in fact the main point of cooperation between the scientific communities of both our countries. Our cooperation in science and education has become so well that India is now the 2nd most important partner of Germany in scientific research after the USA.

Our releations with Pakistan has been pritty bad in recent years. The obvious sheltering of the Taliban, the murder of German healthworkers and journalists, the hiding of Bin Laden, the usual "kill all jews" nonsence that comes from most islamic countries, the massive misuse of Western aid money to produce nuclear weapons aswell as it`s chaotic state. Who is actualy in charge there? The army? The government? The intelligence services? What is the point of negotiating with a country when you dont even know with whom to negotiate with? And who would open a buisness in a place like that? Worst of all is probably the blatant and criminal shelter that pakistani officials gave to the people who organised and planned the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks, aswell as the fact that Pakistan is unappologetic and to some extent even trying to justify actions like that attack whilest still sending terror groups into India. A country that engages in such conduct should be treated like North Korea by the international community and I think it would have been if Nato wouldnt had to rely on supply routes through Pakistan into Afghanistan. I hope that after the war in Afghanistan is over, that this stain of terror and stabbing partners in the back will remain on Pakistan for years to come and that the international community will put the persure on this country that it deserves for it`s violations. It is with quite a bit of irony how this country was founded as a safe heaven for muslims in that region, but muslims in that region are now safer and with more liberties in India. India is proberly the only properly functioning democracy in that region.

pmaitra

I want to thank the German auto companies for bringing the well refined and extremely efficient turbo-diesel engines into the US. Diesels are gaining popularity these days. Those days of black smoke and rattling noise are gone, thanks to excellent German engineering.

Rushil51

Country flag
I remember reading somewhere that a Pak agent was arrested in 2013(or 2012) in Germany by German security forces. The agent trying to obtain some data regarding Drones(?).What was the case all about?
And do German people really view India in a negative way. We(along with China and few more countries) seem to have pretty bad reputation in Germany according to BBC poll service.

thethinker

Country flag
On a similar note, here is a recent ad by German Lufthansa airlines focusing on Indian passengers :

Last edited by a moderator:

LastProphet

Germans are basically too much in love with themselves....anything not German they consider inferior....!!!!!

LastProphet

Statement based on my 8 years n counting experience with them..... Well m not complaining about it as it's nothing bad to have confidence in your own abilities...!!!!

Rushil51

Country flag
Statement based on my 8 years n counting experience with them..... Well m not complaining about it as it's nothing bad to have confidence in your own abilities...!!!!
You need to make it clear mate,what experience? You spent time in Germany? Or just met many Germans? or anything else?

Killzone

An English friend of mine once jokeingly summerised German foreign policy as: "We really dont care who you are and what you think of us, but would you like to buy a new car?"

And I think I must agree with him. With a few exceptions German foreign policy after 1949 has constantly been about economics. Military cooperations has always been secondary.

The few exceptions we have are France, Poland, Russia and Israel.

With France we have a 50 year old agreement of friendship and have asked forgiveness for our crimes, it is accepted by both our countries that the most horrible wars in Europe were the result of Frnech-German hatred and that friendly releations between our countries is a must for a peacefull Europe. With Poland we are still asking for forgiveness. With Israel we have a bond that is forged through historic responibility to ensure their safety, so we give them economic assistance, reperations and once every few year we give them a blanco check for a shopping spree through Germanies weapons manufacturers. With Russia we use to have a releation of asking for forgiveness - which might have changed in recent months as anti-Russian sentiment in Germany is starting to grow.

Well, our releation with India are in many ways the same as with everyone else. Which is pritty much: "Would you like to buy a VolksWagen? And maybe even some tanks?". But has been getting more important in recent years as Germany has become Indias biggest and most important trading partner within Europe as the financial volume of our trade lies at 16 billion euros. Despite being such great trading partners, German direct investment into India is unfortunatly somewhat low, as we are only numeber 8 amongst the countries with the biggest direct investment into Indias economy. Especialy agricultural products have started to show up in bigger quantity in German stores, financial services in trade between our countries are also growing aswell as many other parts of the service sector economy. German exports into India are mainly machines, chemicals, manufactured metal products, household appliances and cars.
VolksWagen recently built a car factory at the price of 580 million in the Indian city of Pune to be fully functional within the year 2014. Our car indutry had previously expanded into China with 2 factories there and with the rising Indian middle class that is hungry for cars, I hope that VW will not only bring jobs to India, but that Indians will help us in cementing German dominace over the global automobile industry. Since German industry likes to outsource production into the ereas where exports are very succesfull, I think companies like Bosch will very likely also open factories in India in the near future.
It is generaly accepted by most German politicians that the sole best way to ensure peace and good releations is to help create a succefull economy with a prosperous middle class abroad. But with India we are also engaged in other ways. Since 2013 we have a bilateral agreement on furthering scientific research between our nations and to cooperate in fighting terrorism. There are various scientific institutions in India with Germany funding and German researchers working together with Indian funding and Indian researchers. I have witnessed myself that many Indian students come to our universities and colleges to work on degrees in engeneering, biology and chemistry. We are also one of the first countries who stopped condeming Indias nuclear capacity and are currently enaged with your nuclear institutions in working on scientific advances on nuclear technology. Energy is in fact the main point of cooperation between the scientific communities of both our countries. Our cooperation in science and education has become so well that India is now the 2nd most important partner of Germany in scientific research after the USA.

Our releations with Pakistan has been pritty bad in recent years. The obvious sheltering of the Taliban, the murder of German healthworkers and journalists, the hiding of Bin Laden, the usual "kill all jews" nonsence that comes from most islamic countries, the massive misuse of Western aid money to produce nuclear weapons aswell as it`s chaotic state. Who is actualy in charge there? The army? The government? The intelligence services? What is the point of negotiating with a country when you dont even know with whom to negotiate with? And who would open a buisness in a place like that? Worst of all is probably the blatant and criminal shelter that pakistani officials gave to the people who organised and planned the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks, aswell as the fact that Pakistan is unappologetic and to some extent even trying to justify actions like that attack whilest still sending terror groups into India. A country that engages in such conduct should be treated like North Korea by the international community and I think it would have been if Nato wouldnt had to rely on supply routes through Pakistan into Afghanistan. I hope that after the war in Afghanistan is over, that this stain of terror and stabbing partners in the back will remain on Pakistan for years to come and that the international community will put the persure on this country that it deserves for it`s violations. It is with quite a bit of irony how this country was founded as a safe heaven for muslims in that region, but muslims in that region are now safer and with more liberties in India. India is proberly the only properly functioning democracy in that region.
Welcome.You don't have to bad mouth Pakistan to gain approval here.
What was that last paragraph doing in an otherwise excellent post about Indo-German relations ?

charlie

Country flag
Have you worked with any Germans ? They are really nice to work with but as LastProphet said "Germans are basically too much in love with themselves"

pmaitra

I have interacted with many Germans.

They are really nice people. I told one German that they make really good cars. He responded by saying Indians are doing a fantastic job launching satellites. He was actually knowledgeable about India, although he has never been to India.

vetiarvind

What was that last paragraph doing in an otherwise excellent post about Indo-German relations ?
I doubt if he is deliberately doing that to be more amicable, but more as a matter of fact, since India's relationship with any country is often counterbalanced by that country's relationship with Pakistan. Half of India's issues with China is because of it's pro-Paki policies.
That being said, I just wanted to say I think Germans are very nice, hard working and dedicated individuals. I've worked with a bunch of them on some game projects and like their openness. They will tell you when they cannot do something instead of promising and failing to deliver. Also, they will ask your permission when using your creations. (i guess most western people respect I.P in that respect) Also, a fan of German cars (my father owns a VW) which seem to be making inroads in 2nd tier towns as well.
They have also borne a huge responsibility in bailing out countries like Greece and Spain so kudos to them.
The only issue I have with germans is with the east-germans who are pretty racist to Africans, but in that respect I've met some Indians who are like that as well, so I don't hold anything against Germany in general.

JBH22

French and Brits are punching above their weight its Germany because of its technology, economy that is the real EU superpower.

In fact Germany should break this guilt over WW2 and pursue its own agenda and engage all states especially India, China etc

LastProphet

You need to make it clear mate,what experience? You spent time in Germany? Or just met many Germans? or anything else?
I am working with Germans, Chineese & Russians for last 8 years.... Have been there many times ( except china, never been there but have many good friends there )....

The Germans are coming

I remember reading somewhere that a Pak agent was arrested in 2013(or 2012) in Germany by German security forces. The agent trying to obtain some data regarding Drones(?).What was the case all about?
If Pakistan brought agents to Germany to gain secrets on drone technology then it nothing but a statement of Pakistani stupidity.

Because we dont even have a military drone program. We only just bought our first drones this year from the US.

And we wont be starting to build a military drone program until 2015, probably with the help of Israel, and mainly not for our own armed forces - but to be sold arround the world.

Most of the military gear that we develope isnt for Germanies army, but for exports.

Like the dolphin class stealth submarines with nuclear second strike capacity that we sold to Greece and Israel - whilest we dont have even a sinlge one of these in out navy.

And do German people really view India in a negative way.
We had an incident 3 years ago when a gang of neo nazis chased a group of Indians through a city, who were dancing with German girls.

I dont think we see your country in a negative way. I guess most people are starting to see it more and more positve as India is becoming a potential ally against China.

We(along with China and few more countries) seem to have pretty bad reputation in Germany according to BBC poll service.
I am not sure about India.

When we outsourced buisnesses to China in the early 2000s, we found out that the Chinese were trying to steal alot of our technology. So German buisnesses pulled out of China.

Since then China has had a pritty bad image in Germany and German buisness is only slowly coming back to China, but only in exchange of guarantees of having our technologies not stolen.

The Germans are coming

I think it is important to underline that one big contibuter to why releations between European countries and India are improving is Pakistans bad behavior.

Like it or not, the way Pakistan behaved in the past 13 years, has done you alot of favors abroad.

The Germans are coming

I am working with Germans, Chineese & Russians for last 8 years.... Have been there many times ( except china, never been there but have many good friends there )....
oh please. We are a modest people.

We invented the nuclear bomb.

But still dont have a single one :taunt:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles