Indo-German relations

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag

The German Foreign Minister, Mr. Frank-Walter Steinmeier calls on the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, in New Delhi on September 08, 2014.

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag

The Union Minister for Agriculture, Shri Radha Mohan Singh welcoming the German Ambassador to India, Mr. Michael Stiener, in New Delhi on September 10, 2014.

Otm Shank

Is berlin donating German money, material and time to clean up indian rivers or are they sell you their services?

sorcerer

Country flag
Prime Minister's remarks at the Inaugural Session of Hannover Messe (April 12, 2015)
Her Excellency, Chancellor Dr. Angela Merkel,
Vice Chancellor, Mr. Sigmar Gabriel,
Minister Dr. Johanna Wanka,
Minister-PresidentMr. Stephan Weil
Chairman of Deutsche Messe
Dr. Wolfram von Fritsch

It is truly a great privilege for me to be here at the Inauguration of the world's largest industrial fair. It is a special honour to do so in the company of Chancellor Merkel, a great leader and friend of India.

First, I want to thank the city of Hannover and Hannover Messe. They have been most generous in allowing us to unleash our lions in this city. The lions are a symbol of a new India. They roar; but with a message of friendship and promise of partnership, from 1.25 billion people of India. This is also the message of 15 states, 20 CEOs and 350 companies from India participating in this Fair.

Your choice of India as a Partner Country reflects the new confidence in India. Our decision to be here in the first year of my Government reflects our priority:

We want to accelerate economic growth and create jobs for our youth.

We want to build world class industry and infrastructure.

We want totransform our cities and villages; clean up our environment; and improve the quality of life.

Our presence as a partner country says something else also. We will naturally pursue our goals on the strength of our own resources, skills and enterprise. But, we know that we will be more successful when we do this in partnership with the world. For people in India, Germany is a valued partner; and, an enduring symbol of technology and innovation, quality and productivity.

Even more, India and Germany share a close and warm relationship. It goes back centuries, in the intellectual journey of German scholars. It has grown in depth and diversity from our birth as modern Republics at the same time, Through the passage of history, Indians and Germans have formed a relationship of mutual fascination and goodwill.

It also includes a vibrant economic partnership that extends beyond the last century. Today, you can easily think of companies like Siemens as Indian! Nearly a hundred years ago, India's great poet and philosopher, Rabindranath Tagore said, that Germany has done more than any other country to open India to the Western World.

Today, I come to seek German partnership in my own mission to open up India's seamless economic potential.To the industry of the world that has assembled here today, I say that we have no special bias for our host today! India is open and ready to embrace the world. As I have travelled around the world, I have seen a new level of interest in building partnerships of trade, investment and innovation in India. It mirrors the surge of hope in our own people and industry; the new tide of expectation in our 800 million youth – for opportunities and progress. And, if we want to fulfill the dreams of our youth, we must turn our industry into a manufacturing hub for the world and an engine for employment at home. And, we must equip our youth with the skills to meet the needs of our nation, and the demands of the globalised world.

Whatever we choose to do, from reaching the cutting edge of industry to meeting the most critical social need, we require investment and technology, industry and enterprise. That is why for me, Make in India is not a brand. Nor is it simply a slogan on a smart lion!

It is a new national movement. And, it covers the whole spectrum of our government, society and business. To this informed audience, I hardly need to state the obvious: Our scale of transformation is vast; therefore, the opportunities we offer are huge.

You are also familiar with our demography and our demand. The question that you ask is whether we can turn this potential into a reality; and, our vision into action.

What you seek is not just an attractive destination; but, also the assurance that it is open; and, it is easy to reach and work in. You want the confidence that the environment is stable; the rules won't change frequently; and there would be no surprises. So, we have moved with speed, resolve and boldness to fulfill our pledge.

We are creating a stable economic environment that inspires confidence at home and abroad. We are pursuing strong fiscal discipline to do that. I know how much Chancellor Merkel will appreciate that point!

We have taken sweeping steps to reform our policies and open up more to foreign direct investments in key areas like insurance, construction, defence and railways. Railways is the thread that binds India. It will now be a fast track to India's transformation. And, what was a department of the government is now open o 00% Foreign Direct Investments.

We are removing unnecessary regulations and simplifying our procedures. We are using digital technology to eliminate multiple approvals and endless wait. We will guide you and walk with you in your projects. We have set up Invest India and country desks in it that will be networked to the states.
We will nurture innovation and protect your intellectual property. There were institutions in India that seemed beyond scrutiny. Well, they no longer are. We are reforming institutions in ways that has not happened in decades. We are building a tax regime that is predictable, stable and competitive. We will now address the remaining uncertainties. The Goods and Services Tax is a long needed revolution that is becoming a reality.

For us, the highest priority is creating world class infrastructure. We have made a sharp increase in public investments. We have established a National Infrastructure and Investment Fund and a new institution for integrated development of this sector. We are launching attractive new financial instruments for long term funds. We seek to fuel our growth with the cleanest and most efficient use of energy.

We have set a target of 75 Giga Watts of new capacity for renewable and clean energy in the next seven years. It is a challenging goal- yes; but, important to pursue. Good Governance is essential not just for our citizens, but also for business.
With transparency and speed, we have resumed long stalled projectsand allocation of resources. This is adding new momentum to our economy. We are instituting a rational framework for acquisition of land without causing distress to farmers and other landowners. We are creating a predictable and transparent environment approval process that will protect our natural heritage. Above all, we know, as you do, that the investment journey may begin in Delhi, but its success depends on state capitals and districts.

So, for the first time, we are working as Team India – a new partnership between the Centre and the States. We speak of cooperative federalism, but also of competitive federalism, where states would excel by competing with each other for investments and jobs.
We are also giving them more resources, so that they can build the infrastructure that you need. I also see them as partners in our international engagement.

But, I am also aware that it is easier to change policies and write new laws than it is to change attitudes, culture and systems. Every CEO who has tried a turnaround knows that. Our task is huge; it won't be completed overnight. But, I am confident that it will. And, we are moving firmly and clearly in that direction. The wind of change is there. and, it is gathering speed. When IMF, the World Bank, credit rating agencies and expert speak in one voice of optimism about India, we know that the wind is blowing in the right direction. And, it has made us the fastest growing economy in the world.

So, my message to you is this: You will find environment that is not only open, but also welcoming. We will make it easy to do business in India. And, we will always be eager to listen to your feedback. So, our industry is here to showcase their skills. There are many Indian examples of technological leadership in the world. But, we want a future in which excellence defines every sector and every industry in our country. And, they are here to seek your partnership.

It is not just about financial flows, new technology or products. It is also about learning from each other; about seeing possibilities in new ways. India is a nation that is blessed with so much goodwill in the world. Everywhere, I see a strong desire for India to succeed.

The progress of one sixth of humanity will be of great consequence for the world and our beautiful planet. It will be a world of more hope and opportunities; a world more confident of its success.This is a time of political instability and economic challenges; and, threats of violence that are increasingly close to our homes. The humanity needs the solidarity and strength of international partnerships more than ever before.

India will do its part - as an anchor of economic stability; an engine for growth; and, as a force of peace and stability in the world. So, let me invite you to do business and make in India – for India and the world. Let me invite you to be our partner in making a new India. I also welcome you to enjoy our timeless traditions, the ceaseless celebration of diversity;and, the warm embrace of friendship.

I wish the Fair all success. When its shutters come down, I hope that many new doors would have opened.

Thank you once again.

Prime Minister's remarks at the Inaugural Session of Hannover Messe (April 12, 2015)

sorcerer

Country flag
Her Excellency, Chancellor Dr. Angela Merkel,
Vice Chancellor, Mr. Sigmar Gabriel,
Minister Dr. Johanna Wanka,
Minister-PresidentMr. Stephan Weil
Chairman of Deutsche Messe
Dr. Wolfram von Fritsch

It is truly a great privilege for me to be here at the Inauguration of the world's largest industrial fair. It is a special honour to do so in the company of Chancellor Merkel, a great leader and friend of India.

First, I want to thank the city of Hannover and Hannover Messe. They have been most generous in allowing us to unleash our lions in this city. The lions are a symbol of a new India. They roar; but with a message of friendship and promise of partnership, from 1.25 billion people of India. This is also the message of 15 states, 20 CEOs and 350 companies from India participating in this Fair.

Your choice of India as a Partner Country reflects the new confidence in India. Our decision to be here in the first year of my Government reflects our priority:

We want to accelerate economic growth and create jobs for our youth.

We want to build world class industry and infrastructure.

We want totransform our cities and villages; clean up our environment; and improve the quality of life.

Our presence as a partner country says something else also. We will naturally pursue our goals on the strength of our own resources, skills and enterprise. But, we know that we will be more successful when we do this in partnership with the world. For people in India, Germany is a valued partner; and, an enduring symbol of technology and innovation, quality and productivity.

Even more, India and Germany share a close and warm relationship. It goes back centuries, in the intellectual journey of German scholars. It has grown in depth and diversity from our birth as modern Republics at the same time, Through the passage of history, Indians and Germans have formed a relationship of mutual fascination and goodwill.

It also includes a vibrant economic partnership that extends beyond the last century. Today, you can easily think of companies like Siemens as Indian! Nearly a hundred years ago, India's great poet and philosopher, Rabindranath Tagore said, that Germany has done more than any other country to open India to the Western World.

Today, I come to seek German partnership in my own mission to open up India's seamless economic potential.To the industry of the world that has assembled here today, I say that we have no special bias for our host today! India is open and ready to embrace the world. As I have travelled around the world, I have seen a new level of interest in building partnerships of trade, investment and innovation in India. It mirrors the surge of hope in our own people and industry; the new tide of expectation in our 800 million youth – for opportunities and progress. And, if we want to fulfill the dreams of our youth, we must turn our industry into a manufacturing hub for the world and an engine for employment at home. And, we must equip our youth with the skills to meet the needs of our nation, and the demands of the globalised world.

Whatever we choose to do, from reaching the cutting edge of industry to meeting the most critical social need, we require investment and technology, industry and enterprise. That is why for me, Make in India is not a brand. Nor is it simply a slogan on a smart lion!

It is a new national movement. And, it covers the whole spectrum of our government, society and business. To this informed audience, I hardly need to state the obvious: Our scale of transformation is vast; therefore, the opportunities we offer are huge.

You are also familiar with our demography and our demand. The question that you ask is whether we can turn this potential into a reality; and, our vision into action.

What you seek is not just an attractive destination; but, also the assurance that it is open; and, it is easy to reach and work in. You want the confidence that the environment is stable; the rules won't change frequently; and there would be no surprises. So, we have moved with speed, resolve and boldness to fulfill our pledge.

We are creating a stable economic environment that inspires confidence at home and abroad. We are pursuing strong fiscal discipline to do that. I know how much Chancellor Merkel will appreciate that point!

We have taken sweeping steps to reform our policies and open up more to foreign direct investments in key areas like insurance, construction, defence and railways. Railways is the thread that binds India. It will now be a fast track to India's transformation. And, what was a department of the government is now open o 00% Foreign Direct Investments.

We are removing unnecessary regulations and simplifying our procedures. We are using digital technology to eliminate multiple approvals and endless wait. We will guide you and walk with you in your projects. We have set up Invest India and country desks in it that will be networked to the states.
We will nurture innovation and protect your intellectual property. There were institutions in India that seemed beyond scrutiny. Well, they no longer are. We are reforming institutions in ways that has not happened in decades. We are building a tax regime that is predictable, stable and competitive. We will now address the remaining uncertainties. The Goods and Services Tax is a long needed revolution that is becoming a reality.

For us, the highest priority is creating world class infrastructure. We have made a sharp increase in public investments. We have established a National Infrastructure and Investment Fund and a new institution for integrated development of this sector. We are launching attractive new financial instruments for long term funds. We seek to fuel our growth with the cleanest and most efficient use of energy.

We have set a target of 75 Giga Watts of new capacity for renewable and clean energy in the next seven years. It is a challenging goal- yes; but, important to pursue. Good Governance is essential not just for our citizens, but also for business.
With transparency and speed, we have resumed long stalled projectsand allocation of resources. This is adding new momentum to our economy. We are instituting a rational framework for acquisition of land without causing distress to farmers and other landowners. We are creating a predictable and transparent environment approval process that will protect our natural heritage. Above all, we know, as you do, that the investment journey may begin in Delhi, but its success depends on state capitals and districts.

So, for the first time, we are working as Team India – a new partnership between the Centre and the States. We speak of cooperative federalism, but also of competitive federalism, where states would excel by competing with each other for investments and jobs.
We are also giving them more resources, so that they can build the infrastructure that you need. I also see them as partners in our international engagement.

But, I am also aware that it is easier to change policies and write new laws than it is to change attitudes, culture and systems. Every CEO who has tried a turnaround knows that. Our task is huge; it won't be completed overnight. But, I am confident that it will. And, we are moving firmly and clearly in that direction. The wind of change is there. and, it is gathering speed. When IMF, the World Bank, credit rating agencies and expert speak in one voice of optimism about India, we know that the wind is blowing in the right direction. And, it has made us the fastest growing economy in the world.

So, my message to you is this: You will find environment that is not only open, but also welcoming. We will make it easy to do business in India. And, we will always be eager to listen to your feedback. So, our industry is here to showcase their skills. There are many Indian examples of technological leadership in the world. But, we want a future in which excellence defines every sector and every industry in our country. And, they are here to seek your partnership.

It is not just about financial flows, new technology or products. It is also about learning from each other; about seeing possibilities in new ways. India is a nation that is blessed with so much goodwill in the world. Everywhere, I see a strong desire for India to succeed.

The progress of one sixth of humanity will be of great consequence for the world and our beautiful planet. It will be a world of more hope and opportunities; a world more confident of its success.This is a time of political instability and economic challenges; and, threats of violence that are increasingly close to our homes. The humanity needs the solidarity and strength of international partnerships more than ever before.

India will do its part - as an anchor of economic stability; an engine for growth; and, as a force of peace and stability in the world. So, let me invite you to do business and make in India – for India and the world. Let me invite you to be our partner in making a new India. I also welcome you to enjoy our timeless traditions, the ceaseless celebration of diversity;and, the warm embrace of friendship.

I wish the Fair all success. When its shutters come down, I hope that many new doors would have opened.

Thank you once again.

Compersion

Country flag
We need to have a large (international) trade office in the bigger industrial economies for example like Germany and USA (and others) that has a key performance indicator that involves private industry within its scope. The MEA needs to absorb the Commerce Ministry especially a external wing of it. This external trade office(s) ought to be like a employment job board where all possible business propositions (like RFP, Tenders, possible orders etc, etc) from overseas are put in a centralized place from the origin country where the Indian industry both private and government can contact and bid and take ahead. They would need to pay a fee to access such a platform and also the MEA would be its stakeholder (with possible veto on deals) since it would have international dimensions and also MEA can and must be used to promote and deliver on such possible deals like a agent (one can incorporate a commission to the government is possible - not black but white). A electronic government system where the information is placed for access by Private and Government players by India for overseas governments. The overseas MEA officers would be able to input possible deals and many government to government deals can be explored this way which were not the case before. For example a country [x] wants to order 200 buses for its public transport system our ambassador hears about it and puts it in the system. this would be put to knowledge of our industry who would bid. Sure there is the issue of other countries wanting to do the same but the world needs to experience the delivery and competitiveness of India and how we are able to do business.

I think this way because watching Modi travel and do such business like in Germany and with the trade fair is great. But I want to think bigger and better.

sorcerer

Country flag
Joint Statement during the visit of Prime Minister to Germany (April 14, 2015)

April 14, 2015

We, the Prime Minister of India and the Federal Chancellor of Germany, met in Hannover and Berlin to exchange views on upgrading and further strengthening our Strategic Partnership. We view each other's development as mutually reinforcing and offering significant opportunities for expanding cooperation between the two countries. Our common objective is to encourage greater synergies between German engineering, experience in sustainable development, innovation and skills, and the new opportunities available in India and through 'Make in India', 'Clean India', 'Digital India' and other initiatives towards achieving economic growth and sustainable development. India's participation as Partner Country at Hannover Messe 2015 is a welcome expression of our common desire to strengthen this cooperation.

We are exploring ways of expanding our dialogue on foreign policy and security issues. We welcome the proposed visits of the Defence Minister of Germany to India and the External Affairs Minister of India to Germany before the Inter-Governmental Consultations. Taking our partnership into the future, we will also work together on meeting global challenges such as climate change, energy and food security.

We look forward to our 3rd Inter-Governmental Consultations (IGC) in India in October 2015. Our Strategic Partnership is entering a new and more intensive phase. In order to strengthen this cooperation, we agreed to encourage our respective Ministries/Departments to take proactive steps to advance our collaboration in the following areas.

Manufacturing: Utilize the momentum generated by India's participation in the Hannover Messe to foster stronger ties between business and industry on both sides in order to support India's 'Make in India' initiative. Greater investments, a positive investment climate and technology partnerships are crucial for the success of India's 'Make in India' initiative.

Skill Development: Expand existing Indo-German cooperation through new initiatives, including a road-map for enhancing employability of trainees and apprentices by strengthening industry involvement in Skills Development, as in the German dual system.

Urban Development: Strengthen the bilateral cooperation through the establishment of a working group on urban development. Support development of urban planning and infrastructure in India, including (a)cooperation in the development of new areas of collaboration and mutual benefit in the development of smart cities in India; (b) Setting up peer-to-peer network of Municipalities for direct collaboration; and (c) Assistance in the area of affordable housing.

Environment: Strengthen the bilateral cooperation through the establishment of two working groups in the areas of water and waste management.

Railways: Support for the modernization of the railway infrastructure including setting up of semi high-speed and high-speed railways and training and skill development of personnel in the rail sector starting with signaling and telecommunications and a high-speed rail system.

Cleaning of Rivers: Following the completion of the Ganga Scoping Mission in October 2014 by Germany, develop cooperation on Ganga River rejuvenation strategies, capacity support for urban sanitation, setting up of standards, approaches to industrial pollution and innovative financial models.

Renewable Energy: Support India's proposed objective of 175GW of renewable energy by 2022 through technical and financial support for developing comprehensive solar rooftop and green energy corridor projects in India.

Education: Promote closer educational exchanges, including through setting up of an International Center for Advanced Studies in the Humanities and Social Sciences, strengthening collaboration between universities in India and Germany through the Indo German Strategic Partnerships in Higher Education program, and enhancing the exchange of scientists between both countries, e.g. in the framework of India's GIAN initiative.

Language: Support the respective programs and efforts in India and Germany to broaden knowledge of each other's languages among the youth in accordance with the national policy of each country.

Science and Technology (S&T): Both sides declared their intent to promote closer R&D Cooperation in science, technology and innovation, in particular through extending the tenure of the bi-national Indo-German Science & Technology Center in India with appropriate resources, the cooperation arrangement between Ministry of Earth Sciences, India and Helmholtz Association, Germany for Institutional collaboration in the area of Earth Sciences, and understanding between National Council of Science Museums in India and Leibniz Association, Germany on closer cooperation in science communication.

We agree that we strengthen our efforts towards carrying on negotiations for an ambitious EU India Free Trade Agreement with a view to its early conclusion.

Our discussions in Germany have established a robust road-map for expanding our multi-faceted and mutually beneficial ties. We are confident that this will receive a further boost during the visit of the German Chancellor to India for the 3rd Inter-Governmental Consultations.

sorcerer

Country flag

April 14, 2015

We, the Prime Minister of India and the Federal Chancellor of Germany, met in Hannover and Berlin to exchange views on upgrading and further strengthening our Strategic Partnership. We view each other's development as mutually reinforcing and offering significant opportunities for expanding cooperation between the two countries. Our common objective is to encourage greater synergies between German engineering, experience in sustainable development, innovation and skills, and the new opportunities available in India and through 'Make in India', 'Clean India', 'Digital India' and other initiatives towards achieving economic growth and sustainable development. India's participation as Partner Country at Hannover Messe 2015 is a welcome expression of our common desire to strengthen this cooperation.

We are exploring ways of expanding our dialogue on foreign policy and security issues. We welcome the proposed visits of the Defence Minister of Germany to India and the External Affairs Minister of India to Germany before the Inter-Governmental Consultations. Taking our partnership into the future, we will also work together on meeting global challenges such as climate change, energy and food security.

We look forward to our 3rd Inter-Governmental Consultations (IGC) in India in October 2015. Our Strategic Partnership is entering a new and more intensive phase. In order to strengthen this cooperation, we agreed to encourage our respective Ministries/Departments to take proactive steps to advance our collaboration in the following areas.

Manufacturing: Utilize the momentum generated by India's participation in the Hannover Messe to foster stronger ties between business and industry on both sides in order to support India's 'Make in India' initiative. Greater investments, a positive investment climate and technology partnerships are crucial for the success of India's 'Make in India' initiative.

Skill Development: Expand existing Indo-German cooperation through new initiatives, including a road-map for enhancing employability of trainees and apprentices by strengthening industry involvement in Skills Development, as in the German dual system.

Urban Development: Strengthen the bilateral cooperation through the establishment of a working group on urban development. Support development of urban planning and infrastructure in India, including (a)cooperation in the development of new areas of collaboration and mutual benefit in the development of smart cities in India; (b) Setting up peer-to-peer network of Municipalities for direct collaboration; and (c) Assistance in the area of affordable housing.

Environment: Strengthen the bilateral cooperation through the establishment of two working groups in the areas of water and waste management.

Railways: Support for the modernization of the railway infrastructure including setting up of semi high-speed and high-speed railways and training and skill development of personnel in the rail sector starting with signaling and telecommunications and a high-speed rail system.

Cleaning of Rivers: Following the completion of the Ganga Scoping Mission in October 2014 by Germany, develop cooperation on Ganga River rejuvenation strategies, capacity support for urban sanitation, setting up of standards, approaches to industrial pollution and innovative financial models.

Renewable Energy: Support India's proposed objective of 175GW of renewable energy by 2022 through technical and financial support for developing comprehensive solar rooftop and green energy corridor projects in India.

Education: Promote closer educational exchanges, including through setting up of an International Center for Advanced Studies in the Humanities and Social Sciences, strengthening collaboration between universities in India and Germany through the Indo German Strategic Partnerships in Higher Education program, and enhancing the exchange of scientists between both countries, e.g. in the framework of India's GIAN initiative.

Language: Support the respective programs and efforts in India and Germany to broaden knowledge of each other's languages among the youth in accordance with the national policy of each country.

Science and Technology (S&T): Both sides declared their intent to promote closer R&D Cooperation in science, technology and innovation, in particular through extending the tenure of the bi-national Indo-German Science & Technology Center in India with appropriate resources, the cooperation arrangement between Ministry of Earth Sciences, India and Helmholtz Association, Germany for Institutional collaboration in the area of Earth Sciences, and understanding between National Council of Science Museums in India and Leibniz Association, Germany on closer cooperation in science communication.

We agree that we strengthen our efforts towards carrying on negotiations for an ambitious EU India Free Trade Agreement with a view to its early conclusion.

Our discussions in Germany have established a robust road-map for expanding our multi-faceted and mutually beneficial ties. We are confident that this will receive a further boost during the visit of the German Chancellor to India for the 3rd Inter-Governmental Consultations.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Critique of Angela Merkel.
as the old saying goes, what’s the point of holding leaves after hands getting burnt.
=========

"It wasn’t just her “Merkeling” tactics that proved problematic.

Far more troubling was ... “Merkantilism” - the systematic prioritizing of German commercial and geoeconomic interests over democratic and human rights values or intra-EU solidarity."

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles