Indo-Canadian honcho dons army fatigues

Sikh_warrior

Professional
TORONTO: In a first for the million-strong community, a top Indo-Canadian honcho has donned military fatigues by joining the Canadian armed forces as an honorary lieutenant colonel. Hari Panday, who launched ICICI Bank in Canada eight years ago and currently heads PanVest Capital Corporation, has already undergone tough training with Canadian armed forces as part of his new role.

A known Indo-Canadian face in corporate Canada, Kanpur-born Panday landed in Canada in 1975 with just $5 in his pocket.

"It is a unique honour from Canadian armed forces for me as a visible minority and for the Indo-Canadian community that I am the first person to be given the title of honorary lieutenant colonel. I have already undergone training with 25 Service Battalion which is a reserve force based in Toronto," Panday told IANS.

Asked what prompted a top corporate honcho to don the army uniform, he said: "When I saw Canadian soldiers deployed in Afghanistan coming back home in body bags, I felt the pain of Canadians lining up to welcome their heroes. I felt we visible minorities should stand shoulder to shoulder with our Canadian brothers and sisters to honour these brave men and women. I just wanted to do something for our military men and women."

Panday said he got in touch with armed forces chief General Rick Hillier (now retired) who then decided what civilians like him could do for the country's armed forces.

"First, I got involved in regimental support group and got to know the army's work...that's how my involvement with the military began. Basically, I wanted to be seen with these brave people and know their sacrifices."

In this role, the corporate executive said he is undertaking many initiatives for rehabilitating retired and disabled Canadian soldiers.

"We are mounting an Indo-Canadian initiative to establish scholarships to help children of soldiers who died serving Canada. We are also creating a venture capital fund for returning and retired soldiers to help restart their life," he said.

"Right now, I am helping three former soldiers find employment. Since we Indo-Canadians have not yet acted as sons and daughters of soil, I am undertaking these things for our soldiers," said Panday.

He said he is headed next to harsh military exercises in freezing North Arctic regions of Canada.

Indo-Canadian honcho dons army fatigues - The Times of India

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
There are so many Indian in Canada and not one in the Army? That is hard to believe and if thats true its pathetic.

Country flag
There are many Indians in Canadian army we have 1 here but a person of Panday's wealth joining is exceptional.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Isn't Canada the same country that does not give visa to retired or serving military and police personnel who have served in J&K since they believe all are guilty of Human Rights Violations?

It is time to ban their soldiers too since they are carrying out activities against the Afghans and which like them, we may take it as Human Rights Violations!!

Personally, I think it is good to join the Armed Forces of whatever country you consider as yours!

However, my comments are based on the issue of Principles.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

Last edited:

debasree

Country flag
What is the reason to post the news better tell mr panday to join indian army,and dont act like chamcha of west

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
^^Why would he join the IA? He's a Canadian citizen, I don't think he will be even eligible to join the IA.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles