INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

FactsPlease

Country flag
It recently took.part in Malabar with an US carrier.
Exercise 2021:
1642437553388.png

Phase 2 of it:

1642437752451.png

It was in 2020 exercise:
1642438343596.png

That's all I can find. Admit I'm NOT good in clip manipulation.

Last edited:

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
Exercise 2021:
View attachment 132413

Phase 2 of it:

View attachment 132415

It was in 2020 exercise:
View attachment 132420

That's all I can find. Admit I'm NOT good in clip manipulation.
That was in response to an "imagination" INS Vikramaditya has never been seen in any exercises which is false.
I had an friend who was serving on INS Vikky during 2019 issue with Pakistan. It was on Frontline war patrol for more than 2 months at a stretch. It has issues but definitely not an harbour queen.

FactsPlease

Country flag
It recently took.part in Malabar with an US carrier.
Fair enough - I'm eager to learn the exact definition of "availability", too, in addition to how Vicky been doing, e.g. latest deployment, average service duration (on sea).

BTW, UK will have an even bigger problem than us toward its second carrier.

All these are off topic of this thread. And hence my last post reg Vicky here.

Reactions: SKC

Gandaberunda

Country flag
In 2019 or in early 2020 I guess prior to excercise with french ships vikky had fire broke out and navy said damage was limited wrt pipes and sub systems. Hope that's not the case it's been at harbour. Vikky had good forward deployment for over a month during Swift fart fiasco

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
Fair enough - I'm eager to learn the exact definition of "availability", too, in addition to how Vicky been doing, e.g. latest deployment, average service duration (on sea).

BTW, UK will have an even bigger problem than us toward its second carrier.

All these are off topic of this thread. And hence my last post reg Vicky here.
I don't know on what basis this availability question was brought about by members here. Initially it started with a random tweet by someone I could not recognize.
And many members jumped here claiming how it is all bad. During the time of INS Vikramaditya delivery, even Russian navy thought the amount of work performed was phenomenal and if they could keep the carrier. And members must realise that India state of defense products is not yet to the level of Russia in all aspects (even if they are bad).

The question of availability will be released by CAG audit probably 3-5 years after. India has just one carrier. We can't simply take them out of IOR for any long trips. That is something we can do after we have 3-4 carriers.

SKC

Country flag
I don't know on what basis this availability question was brought about by members here. Initially it started with a random tweet by someone I could not recognize.
And many members jumped here claiming how it is all bad. During the time of INS Vikramaditya delivery, even Russian navy thought the amount of work performed was phenomenal and if they could keep the carrier. And members must realise that India state of defense products is not yet to the level of Russia in all aspects (even if they are bad).

The question of availability will be released by CAG audit probably 3-5 years after. India has just one carrier. We can't simply take them out of IOR for any long trips. That is something we can do after we have 3-4 carriers.
Russian Navy standard is bad in itself. Of-course it would be phenomenal for them that Vikki is performing this good.
India has had better experience in running and maintain AC than them. We all know how all of their ACs have performed over the year.

Vikki is definitely not bad but how does it compare to its adversaries around the world. We need more clear data about that.

Last edited:

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
Russian Navy standard is bad in itself. Of-course it would be phenomenal for them that Vikki is performing this good.
India has had better experience in running and maintain AC than them. We all know how all of their ACs have performed over the year.

Vikki is definitely not bad but how does it compare to its adversaries around the world. We need more clear data about that.
All I am saying is Vicky is newer than Kuznetsov in all aspects. They did not have money and they had this carrier in harbour and did not know what to do. India decided to pay for it. By the end of it it was quite new. It's life has been designed for 30 years and not more.

I do suspect Vicky will start giving major problems from 2030's onwards. But like some members claim there is no way, it will be decommissioned long before it's time. India has a tradition of weary use. We have paid 3.5 B for carrier and air wings. Indian Navy do needs to improve it's standards of maintenance. Circa 2009-2015 was some of it's bad phases where lots of accidents had happened. It seems they have done some course correction since then.

As for it's comparison to adversaries, it would be definitely better than Chinese carriers. But not for long.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
Vikrant & Vikramaditya side by side

View attachment 135060
Very interesting pic! The maturity of Indian ship designing is clearly visible! The 40,000+tons #Vikrant & 45,000tons #Vikramaditya in one pic! Vikrant is lighter. Still the deck space of Vikrant is far bigger & wider than Vikramaditya!
@indiannavy

Consultancy from an established and experienced Aircraft Carrier Builder (Fincantieri) has also made sure that the design was as optimised as possible from the beginning itself.

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
Basically, comes down to these factors-

FA18 - Can fit elevator with no modification with folded wing. Growler configuration as force multiplier. Two seat variants can do carrier operations.

Rafale - Better flight parameters, more hardpoints. Wings need to have parts removed to fit elevators. No two seat carrier variant.

archie

Country flag
FA 18 will come with End user restrictions right??

Rafale will have no restrictions whatsoever and can be used for any Strategic role as deemed fit Will that not be a big winner ?

Starlight

Country flag
Basically, comes down to these factors-

FA18 - Can fit elevator with no modification with folded wing. Growler configuration as force multiplier. Two seat variants can do carrier operations.

Rafale - Better flight parameters, more hardpoints. Wings need to have parts removed to fit elevators. No two seat carrier variant.
Since the IAF has bought the Rafale and does joint exercises with IN for maritime, the Navy will by the Rafale. I would have the F-18 though because the French don't like to fight and have a shoot and scoot way of fighting for their personel and Civilian French Resistance as whe have witnessed in a lot of video footage from WW2.

This ideology affects the India Defence services in a very subtle way which use French equipment and then slowly makes mutated moves due to the same ideology trickling down from bought equipment, personell who have come to India for training our personell and most the difficult part here is the companies from France that have 'joined hands' with the Defence industry here.

We need like minded Countries with same future goals likes us to work with India.

Now the French have the EU and that means a conglomerate of countries which have fought each other in 2 world wars, and most importantly, Europe isnt a democracy as they have small monarchies, which the U.S. and India lack.

Therefore they might not understand fully what this country needs due to the conglomerate influence on them. Therefore to think of any other country other then the U.S. for future mutual trusted benefits is in my opinion a no-no.

The Super hornet is my choice for the IN as we don't see French aircraft carriers in deep waters all over the world. They have a single carrier only.

The future gets us the ORCA with the GE 414 with future, much more powerful variants, the Hornet has the same engines so it's a big win for the engineers.

My humble request to the committee is to buy the Boeing Super Hornet for the IN and for the IAF too instead of fumbling with French equipment.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles