INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

Starlight

Country flag
The drones are designed according to the Naval aviation requirements. So all the carriers, LHDs, submarines, destroyers and other fleet ships can carry specifically designed UAVs.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Otherwise, forget 65k-class we can't even afford to try building a slightly larger 50k ton carrier with this economy
No, 50k one isn't a big deal. Even 65k wouldn't have if didn't need more advanced systems planned on ship. There are just too many aspects of naval expansion going on where we can't afford to build another carrier in meantime. Not even another 40k one.

Starlight

Country flag
No, 50k one isn't a big deal. Even 65k wouldn't have if didn't need more advanced systems planned on ship. There are just too many aspects of naval expansion going on where we can't afford to build another carrier in meantime. Not even another 40k one.
The carrier has to be economically viable so I hope they make another easy logistical Vikrant. Simply, CSL has to order another set from the same major vendors and prices will remain similar.

I don't find any complaints or internal problems from the government for processing another order soon.

Tridev123

Country flag
The carrier has to be economically viable so I hope they make another easy logistical Vikrant. Simply, CSL has to order another set from the same major vendors and prices will remain similar.

I don't find any complaints or internal problems from the government for processing another order soon.
Making an slightly bigger version of the Vikrant is not an bad idea. Lots of things are in its favour. Would give the Cochin Shipyard an opportunity to consolidate on the skills already acquired while building Vikrant 1.Seems the lowest cost option.
Probably some systems and subsystems can be changed in light of past experience. There were rumours that Russia delayed the delivery of the aviation complex considerably. Whether true or not is a question mark. Similarly Fincantieri of Italy delayed their execution of the work assigned to them. Again unverified.

An attempt must be made to increase the proportion of indigenous systems and components if they can meet the stringent quality standards and adhere to time and cost estimates.

There will be a lot of technological choices to be made . But the cost factor, avoiding time delays and feasibility of the technology selected should guide the decision making.

One very important modification should be that the aircraft lifts should be able to house the future TEDBF, Rafale-M and the F18 Super Hornet.
Whether we will actually import these planes is another matter, but at least our options for the naval carrier aircraft will increase. The Mig 29K does not seem to have impressed the Navy and may not be actively considered.

An ability to launch drones is an necessity. It would be great if we can have an indigenous SRSAM and a naval variant of the Akash-NG. But if it takes too long to develop the Barak 8 is there to fulfil the role.

I believe that the cost of the Vikrant 2 will be reasonable. The cost of the air arm is a different matter and depends on the aircraft chosen.

Now the biggest problem is to find the money for the Vikrant 2.The emphasis on the submarine arm by the Government is fully justified. The SSN's will be needed pretty fast. Along with the SSBN's. Even the conventional AIP equipped submarines have an important role to play in the shallow waters along our coast line. For Pakistan our conventional submarines should be enough. The SSN's will be needed for China.

Everything depends on whether we can scale up our economic growth rate in order to generate adequate funds for defence.

Starlight

Country flag
If the navy is adamant on a nuclear supercarrier for IAC-2 the Vikrant is a good template. Stretch it and use Russian reactors and American emals.
Why stretch when we can convert both the carriers to catobar. I say make the same size and change the propulsion to nuclear; I am sure BARC has a reactor design ready to be installed in pairs or trikes. With a catobar layout, with 3 or 2 emal cats.

Trololo

Country flag
Why stretch when we can convert both the carriers to catobar. I say make the same size and change the propulsion to nuclear; I am sure BARC has a reactor design ready to be installed in pairs or trikes. With a catobar layout, with 3 or 2 emal cats.
No there is no carrier reactor available in india as of now. VKD should not be modified any further. VKD is vintage in tis design. Uses boilers like the Viraat, and has tons of wiring, piping, and structural mods that it will become too expensive to make it catobar. Also i would guess the cost to convert a non nuclear ship to a nuclear one is prohibitively expensive. Better to make new ones.

Tactical Doge

π•±π–”π–”π–‘π–˜ π–—π–šπ–˜π– 𝖆𝖓𝖉 π–†π–“π–Œπ–Šπ–‘π–˜ π–‹π–Šπ–†π–—
Country flag
Can't we buy some v22s and solve our long range awacs problem?
We actually showed interest in it few years ago, Boeing/Umrikis weren't opposed to sel us, obviously they would sell it to us now to counter Chini influence in IOR, only thing left is a formal RFI

Also, lookee here, apart from Armed forces, Aviation research centre under R&AW have fooled around with the idea of V22 and special forces operators used to evacuate personnel from hostile conditions, that too was years ago(2015) never knew what happened to it, maybe they'll pop up again after AFSOD is 100% up and running

Coming to AWACS based on the V22 osprey platform, Umrikis are already working on the idea(it can also double as a tanker)

Screenshot_20210730-104141~2.png

πŸ‘†Boeing EV-22 AWACS (concept)

Knowitall

We actually showed interest in it few years ago, Boeing/Umrikis weren't opposed to sel us, obviously they would sell it to us now to counter Chini influence in IOR, only thing left is a formal RFI

Also, lookee here, apart from Armed forces, Aviation research centre under R&AW have fooled around with the idea of V22 and special forces operators used to evacuate personnel from hostile conditions, that too was years ago(2015) never knew what happened to it, maybe they'll pop up again after AFSOD is 100% up and running

Coming to AWACS based on the V22 osprey platform, Umrikis are already working on the idea(it can also double as a tanker)

View attachment 102542
πŸ‘†Boeing EV-22 AWACS (concept)
I don't think the size of elevators in vikrant or vikramaditya will allow us to carry a v-22.

Starlight

Country flag
No there is no carrier reactor available in india as of now. VKD should not be modified any further. VKD is vintage in tis design. Uses boilers like the Viraat, and has tons of wiring, piping, and structural mods that it will become too expensive to make it catobar. Also i would guess the cost to convert a non nuclear ship to a nuclear one is prohibitively expensive. Better to make new ones.
This statement was appropriate in 2001 AD it's over two decades and conventional research and development is and was and is in full swing for reactor development. I believe the reactor designs are ready for A/C and subs. As we have seen with SSBN design; we can easily fit reactors and install emals on the carriers.

Trololo

Country flag

Tactical Doge

π•±π–”π–”π–‘π–˜ π–—π–šπ–˜π– 𝖆𝖓𝖉 π–†π–“π–Œπ–Šπ–‘π–˜ π–‹π–Šπ–†π–—
Country flag
I don't think the size of elevators in vikrant or vikramaditya will allow us to carry a v-22.
Length and height of both aircrafts are comparable, but, the wingspan of V22 is about 2 meters longer than MiG29, and I don't see how it can be folded like other conventional naval aircrafts(🀣)

If Indian navy wants a EV-22 carrier borne AWACS, it has to wait till it gets bigger carriers than Vikramaditya or Vikrant

Leonardo Alves

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Length and height of both aircrafts are comparable, but, the wingspan of V22 is about 2 meters longer than MiG29, and I don't see how it can be folded like other conventional naval aircrafts(🀣)

If Indian navy wants a EV-22 carrier borne AWACS, it has to wait till it gets bigger carriers than Vikramaditya or Vikrant
Sir, I hope you considered this option too.
MV-22B_folded.md.jpg

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles