INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Every land based assets have its limits. What is the purpose of a "Blue Water" navy if they are tethered to the shore!? This "unsinkable AC" is such BS.
Unsinkable what ? 🙂

We first need to secure Indian Ocean that's our first priority . We can monitor the entire Indian Ocean through the islands we have spread across .

Let's be realistic Japan Korea and America Australia can very well take care of China sea. Our real threat is from the land where we need lots of investment .

And we will still be maintaining two AC at any point of time that's more than needed. There is nowhere written blue water navy need 3 ac .

Anandhu Krishna

Unsinkable what ? 🙂

We first need to secure Indian Ocean that's our first priority . We can monitor the entire Indian Ocean through the islands we have spread across .

Let's be realistic Japan Korea and America Australia can very well take care of China sea. Our real threat is from the land where we need lots of investment .

And we will still be maintaining two AC at any point of time that's more than needed. There is nowhere written blue water navy need 3 ac .
'We first need to secure Indian Ocean' True.

"We can monitor the entire Indian Ocean through the islands we have spread across"

Monitor and then what!? What needed is extensive operational capability.

"Our real threat is from the land"
Not really, It is a threat and it is very real but the best Army and AF can do is a stalemate where Navy is the only force that can give a decisive defeat to the chinese (yet it is the weakest arm of the military) not only militarily but also economically. A strong Indian navy is unacceptable for the chinese. Their vulnerabilities in IOR is one of the main reason they dump all this money into CPEC.
Where we need investment is in border infrastructure and a lot, A LOT in Naval assets.

We won't maintain 2 AC at any given time if we only have two AC. That is precisely why the Navy is asking for a third one.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
We have 40 Su-30s equipped with Brahmos-Air!..

IMG_20210216_092421.jpg

Operating one squadron each, from Minicoy airport & either of Nicobar's airports would get the skies of the northern IOR (south is dominated by Diago Garcia) firmly in our control... Navy is acting like child in toy shop.

DerBronzeLord

Country flag
We actually need four, one for west, second for east, a third for south and another in dock. At least from the perspective of a "blue water navy".
During peace time, they can also be used for expeditionary purposes or for a show of strength. But I think 4 is unrealistic and not going to happen. The GoI is hesitant about three, forget four.

Ideally, the third carrier would be stationed in a foreign base in the Southern IOR, maybe in the French or Mauritian territories. I also have my doubts on the need for a AC in the West. The use of it would only be during war time against Pak for a naval blockade, and it would be more of a show of strength in the Middle East, due to which, there is no need for us to perma station a carrier in the Western Seaboard.

I believe that we should begin focusing on subs, and perhaps a nuclear reactor powered AC to be commissioned in the 2030's. Subs are going to be the weapon to conduct interdiction ops in the Malacca Strait and for maintaining naval superiority in the IOR.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
During peace time, they can also be used for expeditionary purposes or for a show of strength. But I think 4 is unrealistic and not going to happen. The GoI is hesitant about three, forget four.

Ideally, the third carrier would be stationed in a foreign base in the Southern IOR, maybe in the French or Mauritian territories. I also have my doubts on the need for a AC in the West. The use of it would only be during war time against Pak for a naval blockade, and it would be more of a show of strength in the Middle East, due to which, there is no need for us to perma station a carrier in the Western Seaboard.

I believe that we should begin focusing on subs, and perhaps a nuclear reactor powered AC to be commissioned in the 2030's. Subs are going to be the weapon to conduct interdiction ops in the Malacca Strait and for maintaining naval superiority in the IOR.
Quite right , we can build two to three carrier when our economy afford it ,but right now we should focus on subs

IndianHawk

Country flag

We will also have 4 LHDs of 25000 tons each for multipurpose roles. They will do everything else from island protection to helicopter assualt to flag waiving.

And we will go for third carrier that's a question bif time . Necessity is already established.

4th carrier depends on how aggressive chinese are in indian Ocean deployment but nuke subs SSN will surely take priority over 4th carrier.

Eventually 4th carrier too will come.
As indian trade will spread across globe our fleet must follow .

Karthi

Country flag
We have 40 Su-30s equipped with Brahmos-Air!..

View attachment 78433
Operating one squadron each, from Minicoy airport & either of Nicobar's airports would get the skies of the northern IOR (south is dominated by Diago Garcia) firmly in our control... Navy is acting like child in toy shop.
I wont agree with you , Navy need to be technologically superior and experience in operating Super heavy Aircraft carriers and need manufacturing technologies/ Design Technologies for Super Aircraft carrier for that we need to invest today .

Ashok84

Country flag
I wont agree with you , Navy need to be technologically superior and experience in operating Super heavy Aircraft carriers and need manufacturing technologies/ Design Technologies for Super Aircraft carrier for that we need to invest today .
That costs 1/4 th of our defence budget... Too much costly...

The Maverick

Country flag
Guys

Vikrant carrier will start sea trials in 2021- 2022 early
Be operational commissoned in 2024 latest early

We have not ordered a fighter WING to deploy on this carrier

THE 45 MIG29K barely cover Vikramditya with servicability of the migs varying between 30% & 60%

WHAT IS THE PLAN to deploy aircraft on Vikrant

TEDBF indengious fighter is 10-15 years away
Rafale for 36 planes is $10 billion deal and will take 36 months after deal signed
Super hornets for 36 planes $8 billion and we have CAASTA sanctions issue at any time and need 36 months to deliver.

SO does thids mean sharing the MIG29K fleet of 45 or should say 25 operational fleet between 2 carriers.

Rohan Naik

Country flag
Guys

Vikrant carrier will start sea trials in 2021- 2022 early
Be operational commissoned in 2024 latest early

We have not ordered a fighter WING to deploy on this carrier

THE 45 MIG29K barely cover Vikramditya with servicability of the migs varying between 30% & 60%

WHAT IS THE PLAN to deploy aircraft on Vikrant

TEDBF indengious fighter is 10-15 years away
Rafale for 36 planes is $10 billion deal and will take 36 months after deal signed
Super hornets for 36 planes $8 billion and we have CAASTA sanctions issue at any time and need 36 months to deliver.

SO does thids mean sharing the MIG29K fleet of 45 or should say 25 operational fleet between 2 carriers.
We will use it as a floating museum for initial years till the time wings arrive... Long term project bhai.

Blank

Country flag

Edinburgh

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
When did the construction of this aircraft carrier begin?
It is generally believed that cutting the first steel plate
In this way, the time for the start of construction is December 2006.
Screenshot_20210530_171618.jpg

then the keel was laid in February 2009
The construction cycle began in December 2006, and 15 years have passed since then,because of the delay of foreign equipment.

Trololo

Country flag
Chinese LHD and Carrier design. The current IN carrier fleet has to be converted each to three EMAL catapults and a reactor from BARC. Also, this includes one EMAL catapult and a reactor for the IN LHDs on order.

View attachment 92860

View attachment 92861

View attachment 92862

View attachment 92863

View attachment 92864

View attachment 92865

View attachment 92866
Prohibitively expensive to do so. IMO the 2 STOBAR carriers are good enough to cover our areas of interest from Malacca to Persian Gulf. Upcoming carriers should be heavy nuclear powered beasts which can fight for long duration in SCS.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles