INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Never underestimate a potential ennemy....
Its truth, I live in Srinagar and I hear IAF fighters roaring day in and day out but no Chinese bogey does frequent sorties over Pangong Tso as per my Ladakhi friends living near whom I made friends a few years ago.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
The reason why Navy supports IAC-2 INS Vishal CATOBAR Carrier is because of the fact that Naval airpower can eliminate the need of many Surface vessels as these can be effectively used in AshW and ASuW and somehow even ASW.

Trololo

Country flag
The reason why Navy supports IAC-2 INS Vishal CATOBAR Carrier is because of the fact that Naval airpower can eliminate the need of many Surface vessels as these can be effectively used in AshW and ASuW and somehow even ASW.
3rd aircraft carrier is already present in the shape of Anaman and Nicobar. Its unsinkable too. It just needs to be armed to the teeth with missiles and aircraft to dominate the entire Malacca area.

silentlurker

Country flag
I fully agree.
But I add something : a country that is able to developp and produce spacecraft and to land a rover on the moon is probably near to be self reliant on jet engine.
Comparing Kaveri to Chandrayaan probably isn't the most auspicious...

Bhurki

Are there any overhead shots of the vikrant?
Might help assessing lift size to a certainity.

AZTEC

Country flag
around Dec 20.
source: ChangGuang Satellite via weibo

Compare the difference between the alignment and length of the runways of INS Vikrant and INS Vikramaditya.

Both of the runways of Vikrant appear to be a little longer than the respective runways of Vikramaditya. This is a very good design choice because it allows the jets on Vikrant to carry more fuel and payload during take-off.

Narasimh

Country flag
Compare the difference between the alignment and length of the runways of INS Vikrant and INS Vikramaditya.

Both of the runways of Vikrant appear to be a little longer than the respective runways of Vikramaditya. This is a very good design choice because it allows the jets on Vikrant to carry more fuel and payload during take-off.
But looks like it will carry less aircraft on deck than vikramaditya

Tridev123

Country flag

I am not disputing your assumption but I think we need more high resolution pictures of the Vikrant to arrive at a more error less assessment.

Having said that, the Vikramaditya's design is decades old while the Vikrant is more contemporary and has the advantage of Italian assistance.

A scaled up Vikrant able to launch the Rafale M and the Super Hornet F18 along with the Mig29K would be an effective option if we cannot afford super size carriers.

AZTEC

Country flag
But looks like it will carry less aircraft on deck than vikramaditya
No.
Vikramaditya can carry a maximum of 34 aircraft while Vikrant can carry a maximum of 36 aircraft (19 on flight deck and 17 in hangar).

Information source:

I am not disputing your assumption
I have not made an 'assumption', to be precise.
I have made a preliminary assessment.:)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles