INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

Thunderbolter

Country flag
How many mig 29 (uncrashed) have been written off as per you?
None. You then are saying the fleet has aircraft written off due to technical problems? I know the engineering air crew might have a big problem with that. They wont remain in uniform if their aircraft is or are written off. Please tell me where you know the point you made from?

Last edited:

Thunderbolter

Country flag
I have never claimed to be ex-military

The points I have made are based on evidence I’ve seen, it’s up to you how you interpret them.
Yes you are correct then in stating your point of view based on media article formating. But the reality is absolutely opposite to that.

Longewala

Country flag
Yes you are correct then in stating your point of view based on media article formating. But the reality is absolutely opposite to that.
Speaking as a non military, I wish you were right.
But all the signs, especially the fact that IN are so eager for another jet despite the logistics advantages of simply ordering more Mig-29s suggests that Abingdonboy is correct, whatever his sources might be.

Which is a pity but only in hindsight, when the design for Vikrant was finalised there was no indication the Navy (or even the Air force) could get f-18s or Rafales or even get western countries to sell us those aircraft.

Thunderbolter

Country flag
Speaking as a non military, I wish you were right.
But all the signs, especially the fact that IN are so eager for another jet despite the logistics advantages of simply ordering more Mig-29s suggests that Abingdonboy is correct, whatever his sources might be.

Which is a pity but only in hindsight, when the design for Vikrant was finalised there was no indication the Navy (or even the Air force) could get f-18s or Rafales or even get western countries to sell us those aircraft.
The articles you have read are for pro pre independence lobbies still lurking for a limited time to be on the soil of my Republic of India. Hawks and all the green men. My sources are very accurate as they are very close to the equipment being discussed and base their information on non biased, non 'leading to' and only what is the actual pronational move made by the aircrew, staff and unit commanders due to their own patriot plans. So please believe me when I say its not what you should believe and go all in for. As they are missleading, trust me when I specify, these are not 'successful pro - Republic of India choices' and come from authors and writers, not very close to my nations' good future.

Last edited:

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
The articles you have read are for pro pre independence lobbies still lurking for a limited time to be on the soil of my Republic of India. Hawks and all the green men. My sources are very accurate as they are very close to the equipment being discussed and base their information on non biased, non 'leading to' and only what is the actual pronational move made by the aircrew, staff and unit commanders due to their own patriot plans. So please believe me when I say its not what you should believe and go all in for. As they are missleading, trust me when I specify, these are not 'successful pro - Republic of India choices' and come from authors and writers, not very close to my nations' good future.
Ok. Then why is the navy not ordering more MiG-29s for the new flat top , would seem to be the way to go , no ?

Thunderbolter

Country flag
I will wait for another convertible carrier (sto to cato and steam to nuke) to order an upgraded Mig 29k package. One squadron of Rafale M and a Mig 29/35 k is what I will be looking at. About a flat top, the Migs will be converted to a cato config as they bring in a cato later. So yes, I am rooting for the Migs.

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
it's fan art nothing more.
It is entirely possible. Except it needs multiple island control towers. One tower can't control all flight operations.
A huge tech team to take care of reactors. Not all lifts/catapults will be available at the same time. US is the only country to make this possible. But it can carry more fighter's equal to half of IAF. 😂

Cartel Boss

Country flag
In a hindsight, instead of going for 3 aircraft carriers, India should have given higher priority to acquisition of SSBNs. About six SSBNs armed with K6s prowling in South China Sea and another six hiding in Indian and Pacific oceans would have given India an opportunity for brinkmanship.

As an interim measure while SSBNs are being built, India should build ships that can carry intermediate to long range nuclear missiles. These ships will be supported by a ring of destroyers and frigates equipped with torpedoes, SAMs, etc. to neutralize aerial and water threats.

FOXBAT ALOK

Country flag
Vikrant Aircraft Carrier to be tested in waters this month, sea trials in December

Source : https://defenceview.in/vikrant-airc...-in-waters-this-month-sea-trials-in-december/

1601914417867.png

The Harbour Trials of the IAC was completed in August this year.

INS Vikrant, India’s first Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC), will undergo the Basin Trials, or testing in waters with its systems and equipment fitted, this month.

Considered an important phase for the under-construction aircraft carrier, the Basin Trials were earlier planned for September but the Covid-19 pandemic and the subsequent lockdown slowed the pace of work.

If everything goes according to plan, the sea trials of the IAC will be held in December, sources said. The Indian Naval Ship Vikrant is expected to be inducted into the Indian Navy by the end of 2021.

Chief of Naval Staff (CNS) Admiral Karambir Singh, during his visit to the Southern Naval Command headquarters in Kochi from September 14 to 18, had visited the Cochin Shipyard— along with other senior officers— to review the progress of the Indigenous Aircraft carrier, IAC-1.

At an “advanced stage of construction”, the IAC-1 (technically, it can be called the INS Vikrant only after its induction into the Indian Navy) is the largest and most prestigious ship building project of the Indian Navy.

When contacted for comments, the Navy spokesperson neither denied nor confirmed the development.

The Harbour Trials of the IAC was completed in August this year.

Sources said the Basin Trials were being held for proving the propulsion (move), transmission (electricity) and shafting systems. This can be tested only in water.

Major structural and outfitting work on the IAC, including major milestone activities like the starting of the Main Propulsion machinery and the trials of Power Generation machinery, was completed in February.

It remains unclear if the theft of computer hardware components on board the IAC last September had delayed the progress of work.

Two persons — one from Bihar and another from Rajasthan — have since been arrested for the theft.

The National Investigation Agency sleuths have also recovered 19 of the 20 computer components stolen from the ship.

IAC to weigh 40,000 tonnes

The INS Vikrant will weigh around 40,000 tonnes and its fighters (MiG-29K) will operate on Short Take-Off But Arrested Recovery mechanism similar to the current carrier, INS Vikramaditya, with an angular ski-jump.

Helicopters will be part of its aviation complement.

1601914417867.png

WolfPack86

Country flag
INS Vikrant to begin sea trials in December

India’s first Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IA C) – INS Vikrant might begin its sea trials in Karwar waters, which is scheduled to begin in December. India’s first indigenously built aircraft carrier is finally entering into the pre-induction stage. It will be entering sea trial in December, which according to sources, will be in the West Coast in Karwar. “There is still time for that. It could be possible that it might happen in Karwar or Visakhapatnam. It has to be done only these two places,” an official source said, adding that these are the two places which have such facilities. The IA C has been equipped with required systems and tools and the sea trial run was supposed to begin earlier this year. However, the same was postponed following the Covid-19 pandemic, sources said. Built at Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL) in Kerala, the INS Vikrant – with a displacement of 40,000 tonne – is 262-metre long and has a 62-metre beam. Though the aircraft can carry up to 40 fighter aircrafts, the Navy, sources said, is yet to decide on the aircrafts it would carry. The project was planned in January 1997. The project, earlier known as Air Defence Ship (ADS), was planned for 20,000 tonne displacement. However, later it was enhanced to 37,500 so that the vessel would carry fighter jets like MiG 29K and the designation was changed to Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IA C) from the earlier Air Defence Ship. The project was delayed due to several reasons and finally it was entrusted to CSL considering its modern infrastructure facilities. The ship was designed by the Directorate of Naval Design, which was its first assignment to design an aircraft carrier. Several firms across the country have chipped in for development of this indigenous aircraft carrier. The maximum speed of the ship would be 28 knots with a range of 7,500 nautical miles. The ship, when commissioned, will have 160 officers and 1,400 sailors on board.

shade

Country flag
Why are there so many tugs around it?
I am noob on military hardware matters so I don't know much, sorry if this sounds like a silly question.

Holy Triad

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I am noob on military hardware matters so I don't know much, sorry if this sounds like a silly question.
Mee too a noob in naval systems,but my understanding is ,it is currently tested without its own power,meaning tugs will tow them for the current trials phase.

Next year she'll be expected to sail the oceans under her own power

Basin trials next month, sea sorties early next year and delivery by October-November 2021.

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
According to safety rules, inside an harbour tugs should accompany a ship at all times. This being an incomplete ship, tugs are necessary. It's run with its own power at very slow speed. Just like it's construction

Ashok84

Country flag
After reading first message and last message felt really disheartening as we are decade late in achieving our Target.Still not war ready till 2025.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Wow, they havnt even completed the construction. Runway is pending, so is the radar works..
Those who say "Delivery by Oct 2021" need a good spanking.
Those are actually light work or installation, like road & halogens on a flyover... Main construction is the superstructure. That's what goes for trials.

And what else do you expect. Work was snailing for so long due to lack of funds.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles