INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

Gessler

Country flag
Compare this to the MF-STAR panel on the P15As, this seems slightly concave where as they are re convex on the 15As, the closeup here makes me think even more that the panels aren’t installed which seems bizarre at this late stage and with all the other sensors

Id like to be proven wrong

Much of the early sea trails will be about validating the basics like hull integrity and writing SOPs so the work up will be long and they likely won’t be getting to combat systems and sensors for many months after commencing sea trails but still is odd that they haven’t fitted them yet.
That's right, there's just a sheet of metal covering the holes.

SKC

Country flag
10 years ago we found roads and export infrastructure to be so sub standard, that if you compare today with those days then this delay is justified. The next same type if made; will take 4 years as promised by CSL when the after complete kit (metal, engines, electronics, etc) is assembled at the CSL dry docks to be made.
Sorry but you wont even get the hull without the equipments ready within 4 yrs.
There has always been atleast 1 Carrier in production in US since last 60-70 yrs, they are making huge carriers since start but still now they take over a decade to make a new one.

Forget about CSL making second Vikrant class carrier in 4-5 yrs.

SUPERPOWER

Country flag
Guys i think the mfstar is covered by some grey fabric which is why we couldnt see it properly from the outside....the patterns seems to be creases from folds

View attachment 96934
This means there is no mf star installed !!! Due to kadi nindas visit CSL have just covered it to hide the holes..creases on fabric suggest that i was folded when brought to shipyard..

omaebakabaka

Whats that going to achieve?
NLCA was a tech demonstrator, not an actual option to buy for the navy. It doesn't have anywhere near the T/W, load margins to fly from a Stobar carrier.
Well, I am just hoping with a powerful engine like 414 and hardened for Naval role, I think they should be able to come up with something thats good enough....really no other options in the long terms as we have to get off of the imports plus Tejas in itself is a matured project, so it is certainly not just fantasy land in my opinion

Bhurki

Well, I am just hoping with a powerful engine like 414 and hardened for Naval role, I think they should be able to come up with something thats good enough....really no other options in the long terms as we have to get off of the imports plus Tejas in itself is a matured project, so it is certainly not just fantasy land in my opinion
I'll give a little formula for understanding the effective limitations that a STOBAR carrier puts on an aircraft.

Fuel carried from StoBar = 50% of CatoBar
Payload carried from StoBar = 50% of CatoBar.

A significant amount of fuel is expended in taking off and reaching a patrolling/cruise height.

Now thats Ok if you have a Su33 as it carries 16 tons of fuel+ payload MTOW. So from a StoBar it still can carry about 8 tons, which is enough for about 2 strike missiles or a good amount of CAP time.

On the other hand a Mig29 overcomes this limitation by having crazy T/W ratio. Still its only good enough for about 6 tons of fuel+payload.

Tejas has only 3 tons of total carrying capacity from a StoBar. Manage as you like. If you put 1.5 tons of fuel and 1.5 ton armament, the jet is going to rotate back within 15 minutes.

The only thing its useful for, RIGHT NOW, is a full tank of gas and 6 A-A missiles to perform a decent 1 Hr CAP mission.

omaebakabaka

I'll give a little formula for understanding the effective limitations that a STOBAR carrier puts on an aircraft.

Fuel carried from StoBar = 50% of CatoBar
Payload carried from StoBar = 50% of CatoBar.

A significant amount of fuel is expended in taking off and reaching a patrolling/cruise height.

Now thats Ok if you have a Su33 as it carries 16 tons of fuel+ payload MTOW. So from a StoBar it still can carry about 8 tons, which is enough for about 2 strike missiles or a good amount of CAP time.

On the other hand a Mig29 overcomes this limitation by having crazy T/W ratio. Still its only good enough for about 6 tons of fuel+payload.

Tejas has only 3 tons of total carrying capacity from a StoBar. Manage as you like. If you put 1.5 tons of fuel and 1.5 ton armament, the jet is going to rotate back within 15 minutes.

The only thing its useful for, RIGHT NOW, is a full tank of gas and 6 A-A missiles to perform a decent 1 Hr CAP mission.
Not all details are concrete with respect to tedbf but preliminary specs are calling for twin engine with 414s and will have comparable specs (on the minimum side) to 29k and more than enough for the kind of threats we will face on our oceans. Quite logical to think that Tejas team has a plan when we are building more carriers at this point

Bhurki

Not all details are concrete with respect to tedbf but preliminary specs are calling for twin engine with 414s and will have comparable specs (on the minimum side) to 29k and more than enough for the kind of threats we will face on our oceans. Quite logical to think that Tejas team has a plan when we are building more carriers at this point
It takes a long time to make a new jet.
Tejas Mk2 may be considered as a follow on program, but Tedbf is a ground up new aircraft/program. Expecting it to be in service anytime before 2030 is an impossibility.

omaebakabaka

It takes a long time to make a new jet.
Tejas Mk2 may be considered as a follow on program, but Tedbf is a ground up new aircraft/program. Expecting it to be in service anytime before 2030 is an impossibility.
Agreed, 2030 plus most likely but prototypes may come out early

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
Whats that going to achieve?
NLCA was a tech demonstrator, not an actual option to buy for the navy. It doesn't have anywhere near the T/W, load margins to fly from a Stobar carrier.
I hope Navy inducts a few for training. Naval Tejas trainer would be a good step up for the pilots. But as far as combat goes, it's not worth it.

Photon

Country flag
Sorry it is in Malayalam but having some good visuals, close view of her island structure

Tactical Doge

𝕱𝖔𝖔𝖑𝖘 𝖗𝖚𝖘𝖍 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖑𝖘 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗
Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars @Hariharan_kalarikkal Nibba translation.
1st trials are completed
2nd trails are scheduled in September
Mallus have to be proud about the fact that India's first Indigenous carrier is built on "Malayali waters"
20000 Crores worth of rupees went back into the economy Virtue of the fact that it is built in house
Very crucial piece of equipment to counter China
He also talks about the need of 3rd carrier

(Very Jingoistic person)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles