Indigenous Aircraft Engine Discussion thread

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
HAL Launches Project to Develop Engines for Helicopters

Simulated Imagery
BANGALORE: Defence minister Manohar Parrikar, on Monday, urged defence PSU Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) to stay competitive and play a major role in supplying the 4,000 to 6,000 helicopter engines that India will need in the next 15-20 years.
Addressing engineers and officials of HAL, he said:
"We are also in the process of finalising a project to develop a jet engine of a higher class than the existing ones. Engine manufacturing will be an important area of the future," he said. This will be under the US-India Defense Technology and Trade Initiative.

Despite there being some good work in the aeronautics and aerospace sectors, he said India has failed to get passed the threshold barrier that can put us among the best in the world. "There is a lot of potential in the future, with the Make-In- India program and other initiatives. So it becomes important that HAL uses its experience and in collaboration with private firms, makes the best use of it," he said.
"...You are in your 75th year. You must not think private guys are only competition, you must take them along and co-operate with them," he said.
This, he said, would be imperative if India were to expand its capabilities. "We'll have to take quick decisions, expedite processes and as the landscape changes, I must tell you that Bengaluru will play a huge role," he said.
He also said that HAL has been doing well with its schedules and the work on the basic trainer -- HTT-40 -- 72 of which will be need by the Indian Air Force, is commendable.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
@pmaitra There are Kaveri, Manik, Ghatak and further many aircraft engine projects underway. Can we get this a sticky thread for all of them instead of having different for everyone.

pmaitra

okay.

Please enter a message with at least 30 characters.
I do the same thing. I have bookmarked the Syria and Ukraine threads.

Also, please spend some time going through the forum. Let us not open a new thread when a thread already exists.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles