India's Vietnam

HeinzGud

Country flag
I do admit that sri lanka behaved quite paki in the past, hopefully rajapakse is smart enough to avoid that, even if his countrymen are not.
Well Sri Lankans were pushed to that attitude by India, isn't it? What is the India's claim to be Sri Lanka; Pak friendly was letting Pak aircraft refuel in Sri Lanka. Actually that was a strategic step and SL is neutral in any conflict in subcontinent.

Our country men are generally suspicious of Indian activity (because of Indian attitude of SL in '80s) and it's India's responsibility to correct it in near future.

dude, no one in India barring a few ltte supporters hate sri lanka. even your ignorant posts are not enough to change my opinion towards sri lanka. pretty sure most people think the same.
Well gud to knw that!

Last edited:

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
^^^^^^ Dude you still blabbering your intellect out.......smoke some Sinhala weed and doze off to sleep; trust me you may find a cure to your disparaging obtuse behavior! ;)

KS

Bye bye DFI
India's vietnam ? C'mon seriously ?

If India decides to do a China on Lanka, the shit sized island would be over by lunch.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
There was no war as such.

So, where is it a Vietnam?

India went to support the SL Govt.

Has the SL Govt collapsed and the LTTE is in power?

Correct me, I maybe wrong and that SL is being ruled by the LTTE.

The Viet Cong took over Vietnam, in case people have forgotten!

Last edited:

pmaitra

Our country men are generally suspicious of Indian activity (because of Indian attitude of SL in '80s) and it's India's responsibility to correct it in near future.
Why only India's responsibility? India even gifted a few Islands to Sri Lanka as a friendly gesture. India has even given hidden support in Sri Lanka's campaign against LTTE. Even recently, India ordered boats from Sri Lankan company. How much more can India do? Sri Lanka has played its own part. First, they were contemplating a US base, then they allowed Pak planes to refuel and now they are getting PRC too close to India for comfort.

Sri Lanka has a choice. Be sensitive to India's concerns. Sri Lanka can scratch India's back and India can scratch Sri Lanka's. Sri Lanka however has chosen to go its own way totally disregarding Indian concerns. We can make this a win-win situation, but Sri Lanka has to do its fair share of the work. If India being bigger has to take more responsibilities, then India reserves the right to have more say in bilateral matters - and call it regional bullying if you will!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Rather well said, PMaitra!

That is the reality!

One has to understand realpolitik!

amoy

Realpolitik is in constant change. Vietnam has been playing it well, so can SL. Lets say, eh China is also a South Asian country. In Weiqi (Go) 'eyes' (holes) are needed to keep ventilation in order for survival

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The well worn phrase "_______ is ________'s Vietnam" should be eliminated by now. Its use is a sign of mediocre writing.

amoy

On the contrary I feel they're good catchwords pointing to the similarities - so close in... but so distant in...

HeinzGud

Country flag
I think know one read the report on my first post........... No one can change the slang Sri Lanka was India's Vietnam!

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
IPKF in Sri Lanka - India's Vietnam
Totally unprepared and ill-equipped, that was the IPKF

Many critics have labelled the IPKF's role on the island as India's Vietnam. The Sri Lankan Tamils, fed on LTTE propaganda, boasted of giving the fourth largest army in the world, a bloody nose.

WWW Virtual Library Sri Lanka : IPKF in Sri Lanka - India's Vietnam
You're kidding me right? Our Vietnam? IPKF's role? If we had not withdrawn support, your army would have never been able to stop the LTTE. Thank your stars that LTTE got blacklisted after killing a PM of ours.

Rather than thanking the efforts that Rajiv Gandhi did despite tremendous pressure from Tamil Nadu government, you're talking as if we lost a war. Let's talk case by case:

VIETNAM WAR:

- US wanted to install a democratic government
- US had interest in oil blocks off Vietnam's part of SCS.
- US wanted Soviets both materially and ideologically out of Southeast Asia.

IPKF mission:

- Get LTTE to stop menacing in Lanka.
- Act despite home pressure for the help that internationally was asked.
- No economic interests during the times of lean economies (exactly during that time).

If we wanted, LTTE could have been ruling northern SL as a separate nation. But then again, I always knew you'd fly onto your masters' laps in China and SL. Be our guest. But remember anything you do for them and against us, will have dire consequences. Look at Asia's map if you're having doubts on my statement

HeinzGud

Country flag
Tshering22 your are on pot! India's Vietnam is a slang! A SLANG! SLANG! Got it! there's no need to compare.... critics have baptized it cuz India left the task half done... what ever the reason.... You can't change it how much you cried!

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Tshering22 your are on pot! India's Vietnam is a slang! A SLANG! SLANG! Got it! there's no need to compare.... critics have baptized it cuz India left the task half done... what ever the reason.... You can't change it how much you cried!
Just like no matter how many times SL jumps on Chinese lap and cries about its brotherhood, you will still remain stone-throw distance from us to ever go against us. So don't bother even imagining something funny.

HeinzGud

Country flag
Just like no matter how many times SL jumps on Chinese lap and cries about its brotherhood, you will still remain stone-throw distance from us to ever go against us. So don't bother even imagining something funny.
Ohhh to the hell with your effing missile and armada! SL is not an impotent country as you think to bow in front of India......... we live in a globalize world mister,,, so better shut up let SL people choose who's to be friend with!

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Ohhh to the hell with your effing missile and armada! SL is not an impotent country as you think to bow in front of India......... we live in a globalize world mister,,, so better shut up let SL people choose who's to be friend with!
Read my lines again. Since you're not mature enough to read properly, I will reiterate for you the same from post # 131:

But then again, I always knew you'd fly onto your masters' laps in China and SL. Be our guest. But remember, anything you do for them and against us, will have dire consequences. Look at Asia's map if you're having doubts on my statement.
Hopefully, you can now see where I am coming from.

Tomcat

ho thosh hainze i have wondered many a times that Mr Rajiv was out of his mind helping you guys after all our men sacrificed their lives this is all we get for Sri lanka's backstabbing antics in the 1971 war we should have let the tamils carve that pear up in to small pices and have it for dinner lunch and brunch but then that's not the way we Indians are you see if we were anything like the Monster that lanka , pakistan and china make us to be You guys wan have been there by now and just except it there is no running away from India that will happen only when the Earth is eaten up by the sun that is a 100 billion years from now

Rohan Sharma

Srilanka in the past had done this many times.
In 1971 it sided with pak But the war resulted in the collapse of pak and srilanka was left with no option.
Now its blackmailing by using china card.
As far as ethnicity debate is concerned even srilankans at some point of time came from South indian part so does tamil have right to that land.Just because you are there in large numbers and can oppress them doesn't mean you will massacre them.

As far as friendship is concern seriously first your economy will collapse and It will just be a matter time that srilankan island will be under Indian control and tamils riding over your head this time again.

As much as i hated Indian involvement in srilanka i hate the evilvenom that buddhists spreaded against tamils.

Though it will be stupid to call those dirty scums Buddhists so better be sinhalese.

Though i understand that they still dont regret what they did to tamils and even boast of the 1000 women raped publicly in a incident and many massacres they did.

But better be become a human as the so called globalize world this time will again side with tamils as the whole UN knows it better about the war crimes and crimes sinhalese did to those tamils.As a matter of fact it because of indian backing that you are not embargoed in trade and other major events that western nation wanted to do specially European union.

Rohan Sharma

I don't want to piss on anyone.

I first came here pissed after Paki forum for supporting Israel and India. I thought most Indians would be more rational than South Indians. I don't blame south Indians but few months of posting proved that more Indians hate SL for mere foolish reasons!

From where you get into conclusion of your own??

No one hates srilanka in general as a matter of fact for most Indians Hindus(Buddhists sikhs jains)
its still a place that was blessed by Lord Rama so generally its associated with religious views and have positive vibes about that.

Support to srilankan cricket board despite european union and norway up against you asking for ban India is the country which supported srilanka and so that it manages to escape ban.

But that doesnot mean we will support the attrocities that happened since 50s against tamils.
Any Person born with Human values will regret what happened and LTTE was parially supported by Tamils as it is their right to support their families from massacred by a filthy breed of evilcrowd that was killing those tamils.

Unfortunately your government still doesnot acknowledge its fault and neither those schums who did that.
Point is Srilanka allied with pak before 71 in case india had lost the war you will be still with them.
So your government support to India is more of being opportunistic and this is well known in Indian quarter.
While you wish to earn respect for srilanka well then For that Srilanka had done nothing neither it is helping India nor does it treated those tamils at par with all the citizens.

But most new gen of india don't even give damn to what happened but future is in your hand.
Srilankan providing base to China could never be seen in a good spirit in India, wargames with pak and you must know that at best you should aspect less negative view about that as any other major military alliance again with pak or china.

But in short i will not blame this on srilankans actually Indian soft power policy could never go good another thing is The entire subcontinent is made up of people with stupid mindsets like sinhalese we love to fight in b/w ourselves and the result was oppression by islamic invaders then western powers ruling this way or other.

India on its side need to put srilankan government on ground and support the reforms for tamils make them economically power at the same time Religious fanatic in srilanka should be taken care of and Prominent Buddhists Hindu monks should be sent their with jain lifestyle in violent parts things will become good. A big economic boom in srilanka will take care of this stupid issue in future.

At the same time those people in srilanka which understand what happened then and know the need to transform should come in politics and with NGos and all try to transform the nation. While inter-ethnic marriages and living should be promoted but mind it not by force but with religious support and back.

Hope together with India and All Buddhist dominant asean srilanka will be a prosperous nation.

Tronic

Well Sri Lankans were pushed to that attitude by India, isn't it? What is the India's claim to be Sri Lanka; Pak friendly was letting Pak aircraft refuel in Sri Lanka. Actually that was a strategic step and SL is neutral in any conflict in subcontinent.

Well gud to knw that!

You forget that India came into Sri Lanka at the behest of your government, which eventually ended up with your president, Premdasa, playing a double game. As much as Tamils and Sinhalese may hate each other, when it came to attacks against the IPKF, both LTTE and Sri Lankan government were hand in hand with the Sri Lankan army supplying weapons to the LTTE to wage war against the IPKF. So tell me, who should be suspicious of who??

As for the contention about Indians disliking Sri Lanka, than let me assure you, my only opinion of Sri Lanka has been formed due to Sri Lankans themselves. The Sri Lankan Tamils hate us; I had one Sri Lankan Tamil in Canada tell me that "your people", referring to Sikh Indian army soldiers, "bombed by uncle's house". The man had uttermost hatred of India, once even spitting at the name of India during casually talking about cricket, with some Pakistani friends. Must say, the Pakistanis were delighted! The Sinhalese dislike us, and see us as potential enemies/Tamil supporters. So, I have long stopped giving a damn about Sri Lanka or what its people think. They can knock themselves out for all I care!

As I said in the other thread, India should stop giving so much business to Sri Lankan yards, such as the recent order of 80 fast interceptor boats, and develop Vietnam's yards. Let the Sri Lankans jump in with the Chinese, while we stick to our true friends who share the same national interests as us, like the Vietnamese!

And no, this does not mean India or Indians hate Sri Lanka, but it only means that we keep our dealings with Sri Lanka to the level they like. As you said, Sri Lanka is free to go with China in globalized world, so knock yourselves out, jump in with the Chinese. It seems to be really working out for Bangladesh, Pakistan and Burma. You too are free to join that list. :lol:

Last edited:

Iamanidiot

The best we did is get the LTTe wiped out next we need to fix the sinhala goose and it will be done in due time

Global Defence

New threads

Articles