India's response to Philippines typhoon

acetophenol

Country flag
As we all know, a deadly typhoon has devastated Philippines killing many. May their souls RIP.

The international community was quick to help, from USA to Vietnam, everybody. USA has even despatched their carrier, and vietnam has offered money.

What worries me is that, to my knowledge, India has not responded very well. Our PM has offered our help, but IMO thats not enough.

I believe we should have readily dispatched IAF airplanes (Il 76s, C 17s, Hercs), and IN ships (Jalashwa), with supplies and may be engineers and docs.

From what I understand, we have just helped 'em in words, not in material.

Last edited by a moderator:

Free Karma

^^ I read in the paper that medicines etc was sent.
India is sending 15 tonnes of relief material to the Philippines which was hit by a super typhoon in which 10,000 people have died, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said.

"As a measure of support, India proposes to send immediate relief supplies to the Philippines to help those affected by the typhoon. An aircraft with 15 tonnes of relief supplies will depart for the Philippines tonight.

The material will consist of medicines and hygiene chemicals, fresh water and water purification material, tents, blankets, mattresses, tarpaulin and ground sheet for shelter; pre-cooked meals, biscuits and milk powder such that the affected persons can be provided immediately relief in terms of medical treatment, shelter and food", he said.
http://zeenews.india.com/news/world...-fear-violence-amid-chaos-gunfire_889282.html

Strange, it was very hard to get a link to the article, but I think I read it in the times of India, but htere is no online link on their website.

Last edited:

acetophenol

Country flag
^^ I read in the paper that medicines etc was sent.

Philippines typhoon Haiyan: As it happened on Tuesday

Strange, it was very hard to get a link to the article, but I think I read it in the times of India, but htere is no online link on their website.
The article say aircraft with 15 tonnes of medicine will leave "tonight" i.e, 12th night. So expect to see the pics today. Also, IMO its late response from our part. Anyway thanks buddy!

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
I readed somewhere India send it's C 130 J along with medics arrived yesterday in Philippines

US send it's marines and a carrier

The Israeli's send their elite rescue team and Medic team to Philippines

pmaitra

What India should do: Help the victims with food, medicine, and helping hands.
What India should not do: Bleat about it.

India is helping. If we are not hearing about it, it is probably because India is not beating its drums, and Indian media is focussed on (1) the Mars Orbiter Mission, and (2) the ubiquitous Modi-related headlines.

ladder

Country flag
@pmaitra We many a times in this forum have talked about India's look east policy.
The look east policy should also determine our response in natural disasters like Typhoon.

India surely is helping,but seeing the scale of destruction every country needs to contribute more in humanitarian aids and ensure it reaches early.

Secondly it's not only our media houses but International media who are working on the ground and keeping a eye on the aid ( aid monitor) who haven't reported any significant contribution from our side.

It's not surprising, because our govt. has been slow in responding to this kind of disasters at home front also.
The first announcement of central assistance for Philin cyclone in AP and Odisha was announced nearly a month after it struck and both govt. are still awaiting it's release.

So, In all we should help, which indeed we are doing, but be proactive in it and raise the aid in quantity and release them swiftly.

And now coming to our news channel,
Apart from the two factors you mentioned, it's the Sachin mania that has gripped them.
I was eager to hear about the rapid metro of Gurgaon which starts today but, surprised that there was no mention of it.It was either Sachin or Modi for all of the channels.

pmaitra

@ladder, thanks for mentioning it. I wasn't aware. Please post in the Infrastructure or Railway thread about it. Thanks.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
IMO Indian effort is too little, I would have expected our hospital ship, INS Lakshadweep to have docked here by now.

As per BBC, there are 12,000 pregnant women scheduled to give delivery this week alone, but the hospitals have been rendered non-functional. Dehydration and malnutrition is fast setting in among the kids and infants. WHO announced very high probability of jaundice and diarrhea epidemic.

INS Jalashwa was inducted for training and relief purposes. This along with landing ships for rescue and carrying relief with a contingent of military and civil doctors would have been more effective.

I am also surprised at China. Apart from throwing peanuts in garb of aid, it seems that their "Peace Ark" hospital ship is only meant for buying diplomatic influence, not for actual emergency relief.

bhramos

Country flag
IMO Indian effort is too little, I would have expected our hospital ship, INS Lakshadweep to have docked here by now.

As per BBC, there are 12,000 pregnant women scheduled to give delivery this week alone, but the hospitals have been rendered non-functional. Dehydration and malnutrition is fast setting in among the kids and infants. WHO announced very high probability of jaundice and diarrhea epidemic.

INS Jalashwa was inducted for training and relief purposes. This along with landing ships for rescue and carrying relief with a contingent of military and civil doctors would have been more effective.

I am also surprised at China. Apart from throwing peanuts in garb of aid, it seems that their "Peace Ark" hospital ship is only meant for buying diplomatic influence, not for actual emergency relief.
INS Lakshadweep

never knew about this before,...?

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
That is 'MV Lakshadweep Sea' a merchant vessel.
She is not INS Lakshadweep, the hospital ship.
AFAIK, MV Lakshadweep Sea is now INS Lakshadweep, the hospital ship. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
India offers 'Typhoon Haiyan' relief to Philippines

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013, 17:58 IST
LINK: dnaindia.com/india/report-india-offers-typhoon-haiyan-relief-to-philippines-1918043

"While any nation would take time to come to terms with a tragedy of this magnitude, I have full faith in the resilience and resolve of the people of Philippines to quickly rebound from their losses and in the capacity of your government to provide immediate relief to the affected communities and rebuild their lives."

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday offered help to Philippines President Benigno Aquino III in relief and rehabilitation efforts following the destruction caused in the country by Typhoon Haiyan.

Typhoon Haiyan has reportedly killed at least 10,000 people in the Philippines.

Condoling the loss of life in the natural disaster, Manmohan Singh said: "I write to convey to you the deepest condolences of the people of India on the catastrophe caused by Typhoon Haiyan."

"The scale and severity of the death and destruction caused by the typhoon has saddened and shocked us. Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and the people of the Philippines in this extraordinary moment of grief," he said.

"While any nation would take time to come to terms with a tragedy of this magnitude, I have full faith in the resilience and resolve of the people of Philippines to quickly rebound from their losses and in the capacity of your government to provide immediate relief to the affected communities and rebuild their lives."

The prime minister said India stands ready to provide all help to support the relief and rehabilitation efforts of the Philippines government.

"Please accept the assurances of my highest consideration," he added.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
India to send relief to Super Typhoon-hit Philippines
Times of India, Nov 13, 2013, 06.58 AM IST

NEW DELHI: India will be sending the first aircraft with 25 tonnes of relief material to the Philippines on Tuesday night. The south-eastern Asia nation has been ravaged by Super Typhoon Haiyan affecting over 800,000 people.

Announcing the Indian effort after the ASEM foreign ministers' meeting, Khurshid said the material will include medicines, clean drinking water, ready-to-eat meals and the like.

In a message to the Philippines, PM Manmohan Singh has offered Indian assistance. "While any nation would take time to come to terms with a tragedy of this magnitude, I have full faith in the resilience and resolve of the people of Philippines to quickly rebound from their losses and in the capacity of your government to provide immediate relief to the affected communities and rebuild their lives. We stand ready to provide all help to support the relief and rehabilitation efforts of your government."

In the next day or two, he said, India will send a ship with more material, including water treatment machinery, house-building materials and other items necessary for relief and rehabilitation.

Khurshid said India was also watching the situation in Vietnam closely, where the typhoon is expected to hit as well. He said New Delhi had already reached out to the Vietnamese government with offers of help, if needed.

ladder

Country flag
AFAIK, MV Lakshadweep Sea is now INS Lakshadweep, the hospital ship. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Maybe, I am not aware of the development.
The INS Lakshadweep, I mentioned was
Build by Hindustan Shipyard, Calcutta.
launched on 28/8/81
Displacement 850 tonnes.
speed 12kts
Dimension 52*9.5*3 mtrs
crew 19 ( ship's company), 15 ( medical staff), with 90 hospital berths.

Reference:

The Naval Institute Guide to Combat Fleets of the World: Their Ships ... - Google Books

MV Lakshadweep Sea

IS a merchant vessel build by Colombo Dockyards in 2010 and for 250 passengers and 100mt cargo.
Lakshadweep Islands, Bangaram Resort, Bangaram Island Beach Resort, Bangaram Island, Bangaram Diving, Laccadive Diving, Lakshadweep Island Packages, Indian Ocean Islands Packages, Coral island, Bangarm.

But, as ship's names can be carried on by different ships at different times.It is possible that MV Lakshadweep Sea has been converted into Hospital ship.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Great research! :thumb:

Maybe, I am not aware of the development.
The INS Lakshadweep, I mentioned was
Build by Hindustan Shipyard, Calcutta.
launched on 28/8/81
Displacement 850 tonnes.
speed 12kts
Dimension 52*9.5*3 mtrs
crew 19 ( ship's company), 15 ( medical staff), with 90 hospital berths.

Reference:

The Naval Institute Guide to Combat Fleets of the World: Their Ships ... - Google Books

MV Lakshadweep Sea

IS a merchant vessel build by Colombo Dockyards in 2010 and for 250 passengers and 100mt cargo.
Lakshadweep Islands, Bangaram Resort, Bangaram Island Beach Resort, Bangaram Island, Bangaram Diving, Laccadive Diving, Lakshadweep Island Packages, Indian Ocean Islands Packages, Coral island, Bangarm.

But, as ship's names can be carried on by different ships at different times.It is possible that MV Lakshadweep Sea has been converted into Hospital ship.

Neil

Country flag
Indian Naval Ship set to sail with additional relief material for Typhoon Haiyan ravaged Philippines

New Delhi: India is planning to send a second installment of relief materials to Typhoon Haiyan ravaged Philippines. The second consignment on-board an Indian Naval Ship that is expected to be dispatched shortly from Eastern naval Command in Vizag. Additional relief material consignment on board will be of much larger quantity to include temporary shelters, prefabricated huts, life saving medical care and earth moving plants.

The water purification capacity of the ship shall also be utilized to provide clean drinking water to the affected people. Necessary coordination for sending the ship and its arrival formalities at Philippines are being carried out with the Embassy of Philippines, said the official MoD release.

India had mounted a speedy Joint Services response coordinated by HQ Integrated Defence Staff to provide help to the beleaguered nation. The relief package comprising of medicines, hygiene chemicals, tentage, blankets, tarpaulins and meals ready to eat were provided ex Armed Forces stock and airlifted by an Indian Air Force C-130 Super Hercules aircraft.

The aircraft reached Tacloban, the epicentre of the devastating natural calamity where more than 10,000 people are feared dead, on Saturday and delivered the much needed relief supplies that are expected to help meet the urgent need for life saving medical care, food supplies and construction of temporary shelters in the face of a serious humanitarian crisis. Similar aid was provided to Philippines by India in 2006 as well.

Indian Naval Ship set to sail with additional relief material for Typhoon Haiyan ravaged Philippines

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles