India’s only metropolis - Delhi

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Singh, couldn't agree more on the pretty girls part. It was a great sight everyday for me while I was in delhi going about my business. I didn't see anyone trying to misbehave like trying to touch or something. and even if someone did try doing that I think delhi girl would give one tight slap and not take it meekly and go home and cry on her pillow. That's the impression I got. Metro is crowded alright during peak hours. But things are pretty cool down there.
In fact we hear more cases of women being molested in cars. Metro is safe.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
I have been to all metros of India (except Kolkota) and I think there is no comparison to Delhi in several aspects. It is a real metropolis.

Perhaps also because most people here are migrants at some point or the other. It doesn't belong to a state where politicians with rural vote banks can show their anti urban bias aka Deve Gowda.

I like Banglaore as well but its roads are horrible. Hyderbad is still a provincial town. Mumbai is strong in work cultture but it needs to get rid of the Senas before it can claim to be a metro in the real sense.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
A lot of essentials like Fuel is cheap compared to other cities.
Maybe and that too because of difference in taxation, not because of concessions. Though the fuel in Gurgaon is cheaper than in Delhi.

Cities like Mumbai and Bangalore are rich. But, Delhi is better managed with lesser corruption.
Bollocks. Delhi(NCR) is by far the most corrupt and the richest metro too.

Btw there are over 275 "villages" bang in the middle of Delhi. In fact besides Old Delhi and New Delhi the whole of Delhi was a farming land pre-partition.

Last edited:

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
Delhi is quite corrupt. Though after living in Hyderabad and Bangalore for a while, I would hesitate to call it the most corrupt.

threadbrowser

I was in delhi for a year a long time ago.

I agree that the communal and social tensions that exist in mumbai and bangalore are not there. But on the negative side: worst corruption due to being nations capital and having so many rich influential people, very poor law and order situation especially for women. In my office it was mandatory for all ladies to leave before 6 and mostly they used to leave with male friends or wait for husbands to pick them up. ?It was very very expensive and yep the food situation is not so good.
Weather wise bangalore still wins even after all the damage done to it. I have never sweated like i did that may in delhi.
Most difficult thing for a south Indian is that you have to learn to be rough like Delhiites, shout at people, speak very loudly and never be meek.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
In my office it was mandatory for all ladies to leave before 6 and mostly they used to leave with male friends or wait for husbands to pick them up. ?It was very very expensive and yep the food situation is not so good.
Seriously women leaving early ? The situation is not the best but its not that bad either.
And the food situation ? you mean pricing or the food itself ? Delhi has by far the best food in India (rest all cuisines barring regional ones)

threadbrowser

It was i think during the time when there was a lot of fuss in the press about women being attacked and abducted and so on. Maybe nowadays things re more settled.
As to food it was the expense as you said, it simply blew my mind easily twice what i paid in bangalore which is itself expensive. Also I was used the south system where there are always these medium to low cost restaurants serving veg food near offices (for example the various shanti sagar type places you get around bangalore). In delhi its sort of divided between cheap roadside place or super expensive restaurant.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
1. dilli dil walon ki.
2. dilli billiyon ki( ie the lazy fat cats neta and babu log)
3. dilli the city of empires.

p2prada

Maybe and that too because of difference in taxation, not because of concessions. Though the fuel in Gurgaon is cheaper than in Delhi.
We pay extra for transportation here. Taxes also.

Bollocks. Delhi(NCR) is by far the most corrupt and the richest metro too.
If you say second richest, then I agree. I believe it's Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata and Bangalore.

The bureaucratic hassles for infrastructure is lesser compared to other cities because of the President's rule. Let's not forget central govt funding infrastructure projects in Delhi because of the Commonwealth games.

Btw there are over 275 "villages" bang in the middle of Delhi. In fact besides Old Delhi and New Delhi the whole of Delhi was a farming land pre-partition.
A city state needs to handle a smaller population compared to other metros. Other states have to support a large state.

FYI, the place where I am staying was a forest pre partition and farm land only till 10 years ago. My place will soon have the main Bus and Train terminal for the city.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
^^ Delhi has the highest per capita income among all metros. Mumbai may have more super rich, Delhi has a much larger middle class and high income group population.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
We pay extra for transportation here. Taxes also.
Not sure what are you trying to imply ? There are no concessions in Delhi and yes we are taxed in Delhi. Delhi is also the most expensive Indian metro.

If you say second richest, then I agree. I believe it's Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata and Bangalore.
Refer to Vinodji's statement.

The bureaucratic hassles for infrastructure is lesser compared to other cities because of the President's rule.
Delhi is a state with its own Govt. And bureaucratic hassles in Delhi are no less. In fact due to certain departments coming under Central govt, and hypervigilant Courts - the hassles are greater here. And then you have the notorious NCR zone straddling 4 states with their own rules.

Let's not forget central govt funding infrastructure projects in Delhi because of the Commonwealth games.
None of the Delhites are happy with CWG. Its causing more harm than good.

A city state needs to handle a smaller population compared to other metros. Other states have to support a large state.
Delhi is poised to become the 3rd most populated metro in the world ?
Delhi's success is all due to the demographic and not its diminutive geographical size. Gujarat is doing better than Delhi today, and its huge when compared to Delhi.

FYI, the place where I am staying was a forest pre partition and farm land only till 10 years ago. My place will soon have the main Bus and Train terminal for the city.
I was referring to the part about Delhi being built by migrants. Delhi is over 1400sq km and and all of this was farmland in 1947. With hardwork and entrepreneurial zeal these farmlands have today become one of the most economically vibrant region in India. And govt's role in all this ? zilch.

p2prada

Not sure what are you trying to imply ? There are no concessions in Delhi and yes we are taxed in Delhi. Delhi is also the most expensive Indian metro.
I did not mean you guyz are getting concessions. Just that we are paying more due to many other reasons. It affects out purchasing power. right now Petrol is 51 to a litre.

Refer to Vinodji's statement.

Delhi is a state with its own Govt. And bureaucratic hassles in Delhi are no less. In fact due to certain departments coming under Central govt, and hypervigilant Courts - the hassles are greater here. And then you have the notorious NCR zone straddling 4 states with their own rules.

None of the Delhites are happy with CWG. Its causing more harm than good.

Delhi is poised to become the 3rd most populated metro in the world ?
Delhi's success is all due to the demographic and not its diminutive geographical size. Gujarat is doing better than Delhi today, and its huge when compared to Delhi.

I was referring to the part about Delhi being built by migrants. Delhi is over 1400sq km and and all of this was farmland in 1947. With hardwork and entrepreneurial zeal these farmlands have today become one of the most economically vibrant region in India. And govt's role in all this ? zilch.
Did not know the Delhiites are richer than Mumbaikars. That makes sense.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles