India's Nuclear Doctrine

Should India have tested a Megaton warhead during Pokran?

• Total voters

trackwhack

Act of war? Really, you gonna wage war IF China arms Pakistan with megaton warheads?

China has armed Pakistan with arms for decades. I am not good at history, but I cant recall India ever waged a war on China because of that. Anyway you dont need to convince me, just convince your government that they should wage a war on China because of that. Good luck!:thumb:

If you think India is gonna nuclear arm Vietnam, then I can only shake my head on your ignorance. PWhy havnt India done so already if it is as easy as you make it? After all, it is nothing new that China is arming Pakistan. India has had nukes for decades. She can arm Vietnam any time she wants.

And what significant defence deal? China has no need for that.

China dont have nukes pointed at India. China got missiles pointed at India. None of them are mated. If you dont cant tell the difference between a missile and mated nuclear assets, then i am not gonna waste time explaining to you.

China has no first use policy just like India. That is the best assurance you got. Megaton nukes or not is not gonna change the equilibrium between India and China.

Internet warriors may be irrational ,but decision makers in two of the most populous countries cant afford to be that. Otherwise both countries will go up in smoke long time ago. The fact that both countries are doing well, is proof enough.

My last post on this thread.
So basically what you are saying is - China will do what it feels like and India cannot do squat. Thank you, you just made my whole argument credible. India's nuclear doctrine is flawed. It needs to be more aggressive.

Ray

The Chairman
Act of war? Really, you gonna wage war IF China arms Pakistan with megaton warheads?

China has armed Pakistan with arms for decades. I am not good at history, but I cant recall India ever waged a war on China because of that. Anyway you dont need to convince me, just convince your government that they should wage a war on China because of that. Good luck!:thumb:

If you think India is gonna nuclear arm Vietnam, then I can only shake my head on your ignorance. PWhy havnt India done so already if it is as easy as you make it? After all, it is nothing new that China is arming Pakistan. India has had nukes for decades. She can arm Vietnam any time she wants.

And what significant defence deal? China has no need for that.

China dont have nukes pointed at India. China got missiles pointed at India. None of them are mated. If you dont cant tell the difference between a missile and mated nuclear assets, then i am not gonna waste time explaining to you.

China has no first use policy just like India. That is the best assurance you got. Megaton nukes or not is not gonna change the equilibrium between India and China.

Internet warriors may be irrational ,but decision makers in two of the most populous countries cant afford to be that. Otherwise both countries will go up in smoke long time ago. The fact that both countries are doing well, is proof enough.

My last post on this thread.
Whatever for?

You were coming so far with all guns blazing!

SpArK

SORCERER
Nuke option only if attacked by n-weapons: Naval chief

New Delhi Navy Chief Admiral Nirmal Verma today said the country will exercise the option of carrying out nuclear strikes if somebody does the "foolhardy" act of attacking it with atomic weapons.

"Only time this (India using nuclear weapons) could happen is when somebody who possesses nuclear weapons does something as foolhardy as to use them. That will be the only occasion when our country would be involved in (its) utilisation," the Navy Chief told reporters here.

Admiral Verma was responding to a media query on Army Chief Gen V K Singh's statement yesterday that nuclear weapons are not for fighting war but to have a strategic capability.

Noting that India had a 'no first use' policy with regard to nuclear weapons, Verma said, "It means there will be no occasion where we will use it (the weapons) first."

He said this policy was a "good one" and met all the requirements of the country.

Asked if the stand-off between the Army Chief and the government over the age issue was affecting the relationship between armed forces and defence ministry, the Navy Chief said, "No, why should... I mean why do you have these doubts."

Admiral Verma is also the Chairman, Chiefs of Staffs Committee (COSC), which includes the three Services chiefs.

Asked to comment on an incident where a young officer drowned in the sea during an exercise, he said, "There is an inquiry on and whatever the recommendations in terms of the accountability of the individuals concerned, those will be reviewed at appropriate level and whatever action is required, will be taken."

Sub Lt Bipin Kumar had died during a sea swimming drill off the coast of Gujarat on December 20 after which the Navy sacked the Captain of warship INS Talwar from his command responsibilities.

Nuke option only if attacked by n-weapons: Naval chief - Express India

LETHALFORCE

Country flag
This is the second time in a week an official has declared the no first use policy. Any good news on horizon?? AGNI MIRV test??

Ray

The Chairman
India's policy on the employment of nuclear weapons is clear.

The reiteration is to allay misgivings that have been aired of late in certain countries and media reports aimed to sensationalise India's nuclear assets programme.

Killswitch

Country flag
No first use is a bad idea.

If India cant hold off an invasion, nukes should be an option.

KS

Bye bye DFI
What if attacked by Chemical/biological weapons ?

Nirvana

What if attacked by Chemical/biological weapons ?
In the event of a major attack against India or Indian forces anywhere by biological or chemical weapons. India will retain the option of retaliating with nuclear weapons. - Indian Nuclear Doctrine

KS

Bye bye DFI
BTW isnt the Airforce that is the custodian of India's nukes....?

p2prada

This is the second time in a week an official has declared the no first use policy. Any good news on horizon?? AGNI MIRV test??
Agni V tests on the horizon.

MIRV capability is between 5 and 10 years away.

KS

Bye bye DFI
I Don't think so , It is strategic command of all three forces that has hold of Nuclear weapons also called 'SFC' !!
I know man...I meant isnt the IAF chief the head of that SFC or is the PM..?

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag

New Delhi Navy Chief Admiral Nirmal Verma today said the country will exercise the option of carrying out nuclear strikes if somebody does the "foolhardy" act of attacking it with atomic weapons.

"Only time this (India using nuclear weapons) could happen is when somebody who possesses nuclear weapons does something as foolhardy as to use them. That will be the only occasion when our country would be involved in (its) utilisation," the Navy Chief told reporters here.

Admiral Verma was responding to a media query on Army Chief Gen V K Singh's statement yesterday that nuclear weapons are not for fighting war but to have a strategic capability.

Noting that India had a 'no first use' policy with regard to nuclear weapons, Verma said, "It means there will be no occasion where we will use it (the weapons) first."

He said this policy was a "good one" and met all the requirements of the country.

Asked if the stand-off between the Army Chief and the government over the age issue was affecting the relationship between armed forces and defence ministry, the Navy Chief said, "No, why should... I mean why do you have these doubts."

Admiral Verma is also the Chairman, Chiefs of Staffs Committee (COSC), which includes the three Services chiefs.

Asked to comment on an incident where a young officer drowned in the sea during an exercise, he said, "There is an inquiry on and whatever the recommendations in terms of the accountability of the individuals concerned, those will be reviewed at appropriate level and whatever action is required, will be taken."

Sub Lt Bipin Kumar had died during a sea swimming drill off the coast of Gujarat on December 20 after which the Navy sacked the Captain of warship INS Talwar from his command responsibilities.

Nuke option only if attacked by n-weapons: Naval chief - Express India
An Admiral reponded to a query by media which has been answered million of times... and the media created a "news" about it.... this is how media generated this "news".... it's a stale news we know already but media wants military to answer each week.
Media should keep a regular coloum in their newspaper in which they can mention what an Army/Navy/AF/Paramilitary/Territorial/NCC/Scout chief responded to the same old query.

noob101

An Admiral reponded to a query by media which has been answered million of times... and the media created a "news" about it.... this is how media generated this "news".... it's a stale news we know already but media wants military to answer each week.
Media should keep a regular coloum in their newspaper in which they can mention what an Army/Navy/AF/Paramilitary/Territorial/NCC/Scout chief responded to the same old query.
I agree with the Fcuk is news about this, India has a strict no first use policy this has been know for decades now....

LETHALFORCE

Country flag
"Should India have tested a Megaton warhead during Pokran"

Of the five warheads tested during Pokran should one of them have been a megaton warhead?
Give your opinions and why?

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Did we have the technology back then?
If yes then there wouldn't have been a reason not to, we'd have been sanctioned regardless of the yield.

trackwhack

1) We absolutely should have.
2) We absolutely should, within the next 5 years

Why?

Defacto Nuclear Weapons State. More weight on the world bargaining stage. Faster UNSC reforms. Dilution of NPT / CTBT and NSG in its current discriminatory form.

Ashwin_Sharma

We should have... if megaton is really required. Because now, after the 123 agreement, US will get a great oppurtunity to arm twist us into getting rid of our weapons. But i think 200 kt should be more than enough... what we should do is reduce the size of the warheads while maintaining that yield. That way, MIRV configuration might be possible with warhead yields of at least 150kt ( i think AGNI-5 might be able to carry 3-4 of them )

Articles