India's Moon Exploration Program

SKC

Country flag
at almost 3 billion $ project cost and a decade of effort, they had no choice but to aim for minimum chance of failure.
One big reason of high cost is that they have 2-3 levels of redundancy for major electrical equipments and computers.
Another reason, extreme high level of testing in realistic environments and artificial setup in labs.
I mentioned last year that the testing of CY-2 lander and rover was comical at best compared to what should have been done.

TopWatcher

Country flag
One big reason of high cost is that they have 2-3 levels of redundancy for major electrical equipments and computers.
Another reason, extreme high level of testing in realistic environments and artificial setup in labs.
I mentioned last year that the testing of CY-2 lander and rover was comical at best compared to what should have been done.
Then this means we use high quality of equipment's in CY2.

Imagin with comical testing, lander just suffered malfunction before 2km from surface of moon.

TopWatcher

Country flag
Some people are frowning on twitter that ISRO is doing too much tweets.

But check Nasa, they are doing multiple tweets everyday for each of their missions. Also, they have dedicated Twitter accounts for most major space missions and rovers.
PR should be high, ISRO doing nothing as What NASA does.

Now i think ISRO going towards that.

Vamsi

Country flag
Some people are frowning on twitter that ISRO is doing too much tweets.

But check Nasa, they are doing multiple tweets everyday for each of their missions. Also, they have dedicated Twitter accounts for most major space missions and rovers.
What is this R@ndi Rona now?? they cried when ISRO isn't doing anything about PR, & when ISRO is doing something, again they are crying aa??

Rassil Krishnan

Country flag
No its only a precaution, nothing else. It will be great pride for PM to be in brics meeting and same time cy3 landed. Than PM can tell the world from international platform.
I mean ,if he is cunning in optics this would the way to do it. If it fails, he does not have to mention it at all.if it succeeds, he can mention it in passing and promote India in a unique way with results on the ground. Now just deploy president murmu over at isro headquarters for the landing to even promote that he is humble and wants others to get the spotlight. Get that humble bragging too,hehehe:devil::cruisin2::india2::troll:. Forcing isro to delay landing for his arrival seems to be a lose lose from a pr perspective.

angryIndian

Country flag
One of the primary thing that i hated about the previous ISRO chiefs was their boasting about Jugaad
technologies used in designing and testing as if it is a very good thing.
Jugaad maybe a thing that you can do in your DIY projects but is antithetical to science and engineering as you cannot cut corners in applications that demand high precision and accuracy.
In 1986 challenger disaster,a tiny milliliter gap in the O-ring groove in the challenger shuttle caused it's destruction resulting in loss of seven astronauts.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Scott Tilley was literally giving CY3 burn updates before ISRO.

You can do that too, all you need is equipment for receiving in the S-Band - so if you have around 4-10 lakhs(probably higher) lying around go for it(I really don't know the legality of it in India though, so check beforehand:creepy:).

View attachment 219124View attachment 219125
Yes but one can easily start within expenses under 1 lakh though,
one of my kaalej professor is a licensed ham radio operator and he was insisting (rather pestering) some of us to give that half-yearly ham radio license exams, some caved in and passed.
Though examination fees are 2000

his next advise was to set up an antenna above rooftops and buy a Baofeng radio set, and an amplifier.

overall for starters it can be done under 30k.

SKC

Country flag
one of my kaalej professor is a licensed ham radio operator and he was insisting (rather pestering) some of us to give that half-yearly ham radio license exams, some caved in and passed.

his next advise was to set up an antenna above rooftops and buy a Baofeng radio set, and an amplifier.

This is very popular in west as the overall costs if quite low.
Here even 30K expenditure on the setup is still costly for most people.

Globally, operating Ham-Radio requires a license and even with license operating on some frequencies can land you in Jail.
But this is hardly enforced by law agencies and unless you did really big offense, nobody will catch you.

Alamarathan

Country flag

I have two questions,
  1. How and where to get those licences
  2. Do i have to get separate license for owning such radio equipments
TiA✌

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
This is very popular in west as the overall costs if quite low.
Here even 30K expenditure on the setup is still costly for most people.

Globally, operating Ham-Radio requires a license and even with license operating on some frequencies can land you in Jail.
But this is hardly enforced by law agencies and unless you did really big offense, nobody will catch you.
Yes of course it's a very hobbyist tier thing for us, and since we have no one making these sort of electronics here 😒 it has to be imported and with exchange rate and import duty 'atrocities' prices go high;
otherwise if you have a spare lakh around and wanna indulge in some good hobby it's worth it.

SKC

Country flag
I have two questions,
TiA✌
There are separate Ham Licenses. You can check your local laws for regarding the same.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
I have two questions,
You get license for "grade" not the equipment, and once you are certified and licensed you can get your desired radio set from any vendor (even Amazon based sellers sell those Baofengs and other Chinese radio sets here, alternatively you can pay 2-3 thousands more and get a Motorola, not sure from where you could get suitable amplifier and other equipments though) and start building your ham radio project.

read more here

of course without license work owning and running these equipments is illegal par chor tabhi gine jaoge jab chori karte pakde jaoge ;)

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Yes of course it's a very hobbyist tier thing for us, and since we have no one making these sort of electronics here 😒 it has to be imported and with exchange rate and import duty 'atrocities' prices go high;
otherwise if you have a spare lakh around and wanna indulge in some good hobby it's worth it.
my father, back in his time, he had a "DIY radio set" booklet or so that he purchased from some bookshop, and used to fiddle around with his basic electronics kit; he used to tell me how he once fooled a neighbour kid when he was listening to aakashwaani in his home, by transmitting something from his self-made radio thing towards his side at same frequency and scaring the shit out of him that he ran out of his home "BACHAO! RADIO ME BHOOT GHUSS GYA" 😱 :crying:

:lol:

here is my father's hobby radio DIY booklet photo
1692707785075.png

printing shows 1977, by some "Babani Press", book has price of 1.5 pounds, of course imported from the UK

just imagine having a govt funded, run agency like Bharat Electronis Ltd here and yet we are not producing our own very affordable ham radio equipments under them :facepalm: 😒 , something which could help young children to develop interests in electronics and potentially give us many experts in the field in long run...not only limited to communications but also in developing vast varieties of electronics here - that's how it started in the west and those nations but here we don't even have many people knowing what "Amateur Radio" thing actually is leave behind the willingness of becoming one.

astransastra

Country flag
NASA has always taken all possible efforts to correct any issues encountered with their space probes, Landers and rovers!

They take days to investigate and then work on the solutions. JPL is probably the best in this aspect.
Are we talking about the same NASA which had the deadliest space disasters Challenger and Columbia? I think NASA and Roscosmos have been faring poor for ages now. Only China and India have been conducting most of the deep space missions and China has been sending humans to space without any casualties.

Tactical Doge

𝕱𝖔𝖔𝖑𝖘 𝖗𝖚𝖘𝖍 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖑𝖘 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗
Country flag
Are we talking about the same NASA which had the deadliest space disasters Challenger and Columbia? I think NASA and Roscosmos have been faring poor for ages now. Only China and India have been conducting most of the deep space missions and China has been sending humans to space without any casualties.
some of the NASA missions are impressive AF, they literally lead the way in space exploration, rooskies have fallen behind so the chinese took their place, and rightfully so

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles