India's Moon Exploration Program

sorcerer

Country flag
ISRO chief is saying, orbiter now has a life span of 7 years, because of extra fuel.

so next Chandrayaan mission, less weight to carry?

What was the weight of the orbiter?

2379 kg
The Chandrayaan 2 orbiter is a box-shaped craft with an orbital mass of 2379 kg and solar arrays capable of generating 1000 W power.

Gandaberunda

Country flag
there was a fly-by earlier today of our orbiter above the probable landing site. Curious no updates yet.

Wish Vikram carried an on-board camera, then we could have got coverage like this -

Vikram had many cameras... look at this below video to have idea how much tech was involved hence Vikram was automatic and independent we couldn't establish the video once signal was lost

sorcerer

Country flag
Not the first time we have suffred a Communication loss..during a critical phase where the scope for some contingency intervention was very narrow or null.
Suffered it during the CARTOSAT launch event..which was VERY VERY Crucial satellite for India.
and now on Chandrayaan 2

Jameson Emoni

Didn't we successfully landed on chandrayaan 1 ?
So why was it a problem this time, i am just curious.
The objective of Chandrayaan-1 was to find water on Moon. At that time, ISRO did not have heavy lift capacity to send a rover on Moon. So ISRO designed a technique called Moon Impact Probe. First phase of this mission was to put an orbiter (Chandrayaan-1) in the lunar orbit. Once the first phase was complete, the second phase began which consisted of a rocket slamming into Moon with a high velocity. The impact released debris high up on the lunar surface. After that the third phase began: Chandrayaan-1 started to descend towards the lunar surface. As it approached the lunar surface, the sophisticated instruments onboard gathered data from the debris and transmitted them back to Earth before it too intentionally crashed into the lunar surface. The data was analyzed and the result of the analysis indicated that there was water on Moon.

Chandrayaan-2 is sort of followup and more to Charndrayaan-1.

Last edited:

Darth Malgus

Country flag
Not the first time we have suffred a Communication loss..during a critical phase where the scope for some contingency intervention was very narrow or null.
Suffered it during the CARTOSAT launch event..which was VERY VERY Crucial satellite for India.
and now on Chandrayaan 2
That sounds quiet suspicious. Any chance of foul play here ?

afako

Hindufying India
Country flag
2379 kg
The Chandrayaan 2 orbiter is a box-shaped craft with an orbital mass of 2379 kg and solar arrays capable of generating 1000 W power.
Which satellite bus is it based on?

I-1K or I-2K?

sorcerer

Country flag
That sounds quiet suspicious. Any chance of foul play here ?
Not sure...but we do know many nations dont want us to succeed in the most ECONOMICAL part of the space race.
and we do know that many nations had done such to each other before to sabotage the rivals esteemed space missions.

Hope its not the same with the chandrayaan 2.

afako

Hindufying India
Country flag

sorcerer

Country flag
I thought we had one in Bangalore? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Deep_Space_Network

I think we have to rely on other networks when the moon is not over the horizon in India.
Thats my point...we are looking to venture into venus and other planets...even having own space station of sort...so better to start having a deep space communication grid in place..right now itself. These things does take some time to establish itself I guess.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles