India's Moon Exploration Program

Deathstar

Country flag
I think you need to read my post again. Nowhere I mentioned of need of foreign support. I said our landing failed at last moment. We are mostly successful except a little rectification. There is no point sending same thing for that reason. Send something extra. If not sample return, at least a sampling mission.
We have to succeed in this mission if we want approvals to manned missions to the moon , we can afford setback in unmanned but god forbid such thing happens in manned missions , space research of whole world will suffer

DivineLight

Today we faced new challenge. I am sure our best brains are already at work and coming up with new ideas. 100% success rate is boring. Next time we do it properly, it will become much more memorable.
We are going places. Loving every moment of it.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Let's put things into perspective . Space exploration is still a rare thing and we among the top 5 already.

Space is endless and humanity will send countless mission with countless sacrifice to explore it.

There will be glorious success and disastrous failures all part of the parcel. We can't loose heart with failures.

USA lost Columbia with entire crew of astronauts,
China couldn't enter into martian orbit.
Soviet Union bankrupt in space military race.

Our economy , our scientific prowess is only growing. Isro budget will keep increasing . We have to launch hundred of such mission in the future and not all will succeed.

But we will still be among the pioneers of future space exploration.

Don't forget right this second we have orbitors in both lunar and martian orbits ! How many nationa can claim that. ( Only USA and EU) .

Onwards and upwards.

AnantS

Country flag
I think you need to read my post again. Nowhere I mentioned of need of foreign support. I said our landing failed at last moment. We are mostly successful except a little rectification. There is no point sending same thing for that reason. Send something extra. If not sample return, at least a sampling mission.
Ahh gotcha! agree .. next mission should definitely be CY2++( not just numerically but technologically and mission objectives should be more advanced)

DivineLight

We have to succeed in this mission if we want approvals to manned missions to the moon , we can afford setback in unmanned but god forbid such thing happens in manned missions , space research of whole world will suffer
If that is the case, nasa would have been shut down long time back.
Such things will happen for sure. If you think we can't afford it, we better ditch our space programs.

Who told you space program is like sunshine and ice cream?

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Please.....
RESPOND ONLY AFTER READING.

Last edited:

Absolut_Vodka

Quarantined Abdul
Banned
Country flag
Can we Create a crowd funding movement for ISRO. We should launch a new mission ASAP.
That would be bad for optics even if we succeed because such a mission will be taken as hyper-nationalism and Jingoism. ISRO is known for low budget, high success rate agency that accomplishes feat in first try. Let us acknowledge complexities of this mission and learn from it.

IndianHawk

Country flag
That would be bad for optics even if we succeed because such a mission will be taken as hyper-nationalism and Jingoism. ISRO is known for low budget, high success rate agency that accomplishes feat in first try. Let us acknowledge complexities of this mission and learn from it.
Agreed let's not respond with emotions but with rationality.

Darth Malgus

Country flag
Failure is part of space exploration. We move on regardless. I still remember watching the Columbia disaster live on TV way back in 2003. My entire family watched it in complete horror. Point is, As ISRO moves further into space exploration and human space flight programs. We have to prepare ourselves as a country to accept failures and accept losses. Just like the way Soviets and the Americans did.

afako

Hindufying India
Country flag
We not only missed the landing but also getting to operate the rover and using on-board instruments for both of them.

After their life of one lunar day, it was possible to extend the mission.

Now if you propose another level mission like sample return mission, there is a gap in learning curve for the above. Taking 2 learning curves in one mission in space is very high level risk.

Another lander and rover needs to be made and sent ASAP. We can launch 1.5 tons directly to moons orbit with GSLV MK3 in 3 days.

Our current orbiter will work for many years without issues (Mars mission is going good for 5 years).

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
We not only missed the landing but also getting to operate the rover and using on-board instruments for both of them.
That can be studied for further optimization. Repeating the entire procedure for approval of one step while not going ahead of that step in same run is insane, costly and a BAD DEAL.

I'm asking what would you do if rover responds?

ataru09

Country flag
But ISRO chief said "...the communication channel is on between the lander and the orbiter. It should be intact."
Like he/she said there are other associated systems involved too. The communication system is probably just sending out a simple beacon/paging signal/carrier wave so a basic comm link is still there. Systems associated with data processing/encoding are probably damaged which means it effectively can't send any useful information. That's assuming all that we know so far is true.

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
90% of exploration will be done by the orbiter, which is working 100% on target. Don't know how this mission is 50% success?

Pragyan had a shelf life of only 14 days and orbiter 1 yr. So, I think we have achieved so much by travelling 380,000 KM in outer space to the moon which needs to be applauded.

Hiranyaksha

Country flag
90% of exploration will be done by the orbiter, which is working 100% on target. Don't know how this mission is 50% success?

Pragyan had a shelf life of only 14 days and orbiter 1 yr. So, I think we have achieved so much by travelling 380,000 KM in outer space to the moon which needs to be applauded.
O great MaoMao who will explain this to randitv ?

IndianHawk

Country flag

Exactly. Also this orbitar will take very high Resolution imagery which will help us to select a predetermined landing site next time . Which shall reduce mission complexity by a lot.

Darth Malgus

Country flag

Its Symbolic. Ability to land a platform along with a rover would have been a huge achievement. But yes, majority of the Scientific instruments are on the Oribiter and will have a much longer life span

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles