India's missile defence plan to undermine strategic stability

Drsomnath999

lord of 32 teeth
Country flag
Mariana Baabar
Wednesday, May 09, 2012

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Inter Service Public Relations (ISPR) have maintained a steady silence so as not to disturb the Thimpu Spirit as India readies itself by putting in place its missile defence shield.

None of the political parties which are seen advocating peace with New Delhi appears least bothered in the future of the continuing strategic instability that India is continuously creating with its expansionist defence policies.

Dr. Shireen Mazari, chief executive officer of Strategic Technology Resource (STR) and central vice president of Pakistan Tehreek Insaf, tells 'The News' that the readying of the Indian missile defence shield has been a part of India's ABM-BMD (Ballistic Missile Defence) programme and will certainly undermine the prevailing strategic stability in the region not only vis a vis Pakistan but also in relation to China.

"One needs to recall that India was the first country to welcome the US missile defence programme and since Bill Clinton's visit to India and the ensuing Vision Document that laid the foundations of the new Indo-US strategic partnership, there has been extensive military cooperation between the two countries. This cooperation has included transfer of military technology and missile development", she explains.

For Pakistan, says Mazari, this new development implies a push towards more numbers in terms of its medium and intermediate range missiles until such time as we can develop our own limited anti-ballistic missile system (ABM). But that would lead to a new arms race in the region.

"If India deploys its missile defence shield then it implies that India seeks to move out of the deterrence mode into a war fighting mode in terms of the use of nuclear weapons - that one can actually use nuclear weapons in war and prevail militarily. This is highly dangerous especially in the Pak-India context", she adds.:laugh:

It would be far wiser and economically more sensible for both Pakistan and India to move towards signing a strategic agreement limiting ABM deployments or, even better, renouncing missile defence altogether — the MAD doctrine that accepts non-use of nuclear weapons for war fighting.

India's missile defence plan to undermine strategic stability - thenews.com.pk

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Hahaha. This is what India seeks. Pakistan spend more money on increasing numbers of missiles, ABM if it can. It really is good for us. How is deploying ABM an aggressive war fighting shift i dont know. All we are doing is saving our cities from rogues in Pak.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
towards signing a strategic agreement limiting ABM deployments ???
:O :confused: what the heck is this ? why will a country limit it's ABM deployment? suicide ? if i do this you hit my cities , if you do i'll hit yours ? !!

BTW do they have ABMS? :flypig:

Drsomnath999

lord of 32 teeth
Country flag
confused: what the heck is this ? why will a country limit it's ABM deployment? suicide ? if i do this you hit my cities , if you do i'll hit yours ? !!
she is reffering a similiar kind of agreement like the US had with RUSSIA over ABM treaty ,which is highly impractical on india & pakistan case
BTW do they have ABMS? :flypig:
thats why i was lolling :laugh::taunt:

A chauhan

Country flag
Doc please throw some light on US-Russia ABM agreement, it's highly relevant here :DD , members should read that.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Doc please throw some light on US-Russia ABM agreement, it's highly relevant here :DD , members should read that.
ABM was junked by Bush. Its the bone of contention between Russia and the US especially US deployment in Europe.

Drsomnath999

lord of 32 teeth
Country flag
well i would only tell u brief about that ABM treaty as it is a big article & u would start to yawn when i would post that big article :sad:

The ABM Treaty was a product of the Cold War, bipolarity, and the state of technology at that time. The United States and Soviet Union had both deployed significant strategic nuclear forces that increasingly came to rely on long-range ballistic missiles. In an attempt to forestall a further Soviet increase in the number of such systems, the United States sought and obtained from the Soviet Union in 1972 an interim agreement for the limitation of "strategic offensive arms" (Interim Agreement), which essentially froze the number of strategic ballistic missile launchers of the two sides at existing levels. At the same time, the two parties entered into a formal treaty (the ABM Treaty) on the limitation of "antiballistic missile systems," or systems designed to defend against strategic ballistic missiles.

The ABM Treaty did not ban all antiballistic missile systems. It permitted the research, development, and limited deployment of ground-based ABM systems. As signed in 1972, the two sides were permitted two operational ABM sites, each with 100 ABM launchers and 100 ABM interceptor missiles, with associated radar, storage, and test facilities. A 1974 amendment reduced the number of permitted operational ABM sites to one per side. The deployments were limited to ground-based ABM systems, which were the technological approach of the time and included fixed ground-based launchers, ground-launched interceptor missiles, and associated ground-based radars. Deployment of ABM systems based on "other physical principles" and including constituent parts capable of substituting for these ground-based ABM components was to be subject to discussion and agreement by the parties. Development, testing, or deployment of sea-, air-, or space-based, or mobile land-based systems were all banned.
for more info refer this site
IV. THE ABM TREATY AND BALLISTIC MISSILE DEFENSE

Signed in 1972, it was in force for the next 30 years until the US unilaterally withdrew from it in June 2002.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
If by setting up a shield we upset any perverted country's stability, so be it. If it means war, so be it.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Pakistan wants India to not have a shield so that its rogue PA can threaten India and in fact use WMDs against India. With a credible ABM, Pakistan will not be able to do that and it gives India quite a bit of security.

Most importantly, it raises the costs for Pakistan to wage war against India. It has to up its missile fleet and with that its support costs, with that the number of nukes in its arsenal and it support costs. Basically ABM can completely bankrupt Pakistan if its not already. I mean even with aid and begging money, it will not be able to compete with India.

Flip side is that it will increase terror network and support to them.

Final solution, as i always say, break up of Pakistan and confine Pak to Punjab area.

Drsomnath999

lord of 32 teeth
Country flag
^^^^ amen
may god bless, it becomes true one day

A chauhan

Country flag
Hmmm a terrorist state is expecting an ABM treaty with us to hide its own impotency, i can't expect better than this from Pakistan. Only a fool will accept that proposal :crazy:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Does anyone see the "akad" of the pakis come down these days? They ask for a Siachen withdrawal, they ask for ABM, they ask for better ties, they ask for troop reduction, they ask for access to Indian markets.

Some good coffee they are smelling.

agentperry

a pakistani ABM is what west and india will try to obstruct at any cost. i dont think even if pakistan allocates budget for its development ( or buying) they will be getting it

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
we have limited BMD for two cities, if pak continue to build more missiles we will be forced to have bmd for whole of India. BTW how is defensive capabilities are offensive to others, they should look at China, it has S 300 and others and we are not saying any thing, we just tested A5 for them.
We can accept that we will let Pakistan blackmail us with nuke & terrorists. They have to be paid back if they act stupidtly.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Pak will get bmd from China or they can make it themselves, after all they are much ahead in missiles. Long live China-Pakistan friendship as happen in 1971.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Saya, India is not going to limit BMD to just two cities. All major cities will be covered in phases.

I don't see china providing BMD to Pak before it itself secured all it's cities with BMD. Till then India should rapidly modernize and expand its military to match China. That itself will make sure Pakis try to match us and go bust.

pack leader

Professional
Hahaha. This is what India seeks. Pakistan spend more money on increasing numbers of missiles, ABM if it can. It really is good for us. How is deploying ABM an aggressive war fighting shift i dont know. All we are doing is saving our cities from rogues in Pak.
take a page from American book go star-wars on their ass
let them bleed money from their tiny economy they are half broke already

don't worry about china they are good business men they will leave Pakistan as soon as they finish strip mining it

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles